grocery prices??

Wow we spend $250 a month just in fruit and vegetables.we eat lots of vegetables though..

My wife and I buy once a month and we spend around 250.00 for just us two. We shop at Walmart and I am sure it would be much more if we went anywhere else. That does seem kinda high for one person. JMO

My brother's trucking company is now hauling corn to the mills all over NC for the government out of the ports, so they are helping with the drought as there are corn ships arriving daily from other countries.. Another thing TV isn't telling you about what the administration is doing to help.. You gotta live outside the bubble to know what's going on..

We spend about £390 a month, three adults, four dogs, 1 cat, 1 rabbit.
But that's on supermarkets own value brands mostly.
If we brought named brands I dread to think how much it would cost.
Although the quality of the value brands have got a lot better over the last year or so.

Asda which is owned by Walmart is about the cheapest.

Lynne's shopping at Sainsburys at the moment as they keep sending her £10 off vouchers on a £50 or over shop.:thumbsup:

Tesco and Morrisons are the other big supermarket chains over here, but all the prices are much of a muchness.

Greetings HRHDi!

While I enjoyed and agreed with most of your post, I need to chime in on a couple points in item "d" above:

I agree that nobody needs to force their way of eating on anyone else. HOWEVER (you knew there was HOWEVER on the way, right? :laugh:), there are a lot of reasons for us to eat differently as compared to the average American/Eastern European diet. Very briefly, here are the advantages to adopting a vegetarian/vegan diet

1) It is generally healthier (I'll spare the details here, but they're out there for anyone that is interested).
2) It's CHEAPER! And more sustainable. It takes more plant food (up to 12x more!) to feed meat animals than if humans ate the plants directly.
3) It's more environmental. Animal agriculture produces more (just barely, but it is more) greenhouse gases then car! Partly due to our feeding them poor quality food in an effort to cut costs.
4) It's kinder. No matter how ya look at it, eating meat means killing. (And no, there is no problem getting protein without eating meat. It's easily found in veggies most of us already eat.). And while there are plenty of testimonies about "kind" or "humane", there are just as many testimonies and reports to the contrary. And again, either way, eating meat requires killing an animal.

I do like the idea about an off-grid home. Only one worry: How to be off the grid and still have a good roads for riding nearby. Perhaps I could live off the grid on a small patch of land on the infield of a race track? :)

:beerchug:

I hear ya on all of it. Think about it, ground beef is usually around $3/lb. Would any of us buy apples for $3/lb? Or potoates? Or onions? However (again a however) natural human tendency is to be omnivores - like bears. But we are beings with the ability to evaluate and choose, so we can choose to deviate from this inate tendency. I want to get my family eating more plants and fewer animals, but habit and cooking experience get in the way. I'll always eat meat in some form or fashion - from the store or our own livestock if we ever get to that point - but I'd like it to be less meat. So, baby steps for now.

The only thing on that list that the government doesn't have a hand in is drought and weather(and they would if they could).
Blame Obama? No, not just him. Blame the whole sorry lot of them in Washington, past and present.

Yup. I think that covers it. :).

amen...:thumbsup:

the fees for toll rd just went up again last month in my area,, they always say that it is for improvement,, bull crap.. the toll booth lines are longer, less booth open, lazier clerks with stinking attitude and more broken equipments,,,:whistle::whistle:

and i forgot... you got about 10-12 constable cars hanging around each toll booth area doing what???? nothing...:banghead:

You still have clerks? We have one out here. It was "temporary" until the road was payed for.... Which happened years ago. They then raised the tolls 3 more times and removed all the
Clerks. It's all automated now.

Remember how inflated the prices have become during the current administrations tenure in the whitehouse when you vote on November 6th.

Keep in mind the price of gasoline was $1.86 when the president took office and now it's over $5.00 in many places today.

Ok, it was $1.86. What about JUST BEFORE that drastic drop when it was $4.35 a gallon? What about when I was paying upwards of $3.50 a gallon as far back as 2005? Or from 2007 to 2008 when it hovered between $3.50 to $4.00 a gallon? I bought gas today at $3.56 a gallon.

The $1.86 was a fluke that lasted just weeks. So what does that have to do with either president?
I read the $1.86 comment in so many forums and I don't get where it's going...are we supposed to believe that gas was always dirt cheap and then Obama took office and it suddenly sky rocketed?

And fwiw I dislike Bush and Obama equally.

Do you make a list of meals for the week? This is the trick I use and it keeps my prices way down. I live in Houston too and I feed a family of 5 for $150 a week in food and about another $20 in toiletries. I don’t clip coupons and I don’t run to 50 different stores to buy one or two items they have on sale. I shop at HEB and Walmart/Target. If you’re dropping $120 a week on this stuff and it is just for you then you need to make a list and stick to it not just buy random stuff.

My wife and I sit down every week and plan out meals. We pick 7 dinners that we want to have and then check the shelves to see what we already have and what we need for them. Then we build a list based off of what we need. Meat is where you bill can go way up…HEB always has sales on meat. Lunch and breakfast are easy…eggs, cereal, bacon…then sandwich stuff and some hamburger patties. Toss in a few bags of chips, maybe some cookies and you have all the stuff you need for the week.

The HEB brand stuff is just as good, if not better than 85% of the name brand stuff. Every now and then I find something that I just don’t think is worth the savings for but you will need to try them and see which ones you like. Before we made specific meal lists like that we were dropping $200-225 a week just for food and now we’re at $140-160 for food plus what we spend on TP and stuff from Walmart.

What is HEB??:poke:

i think i spend the 120 a week between me and the gf maybe even less...most of my cash goes to performance parts...not so much bike stuff:whistle:

Back