grocery prices??

Did you know Walmart and Sam's has Choice quality beef? And that's their Walmart brand. It's because they buy such vast quantities that they can offer higher quality at lower prices. At least, 2 1/2 years ago when I was working in the food industry, they did. Most other grocery stores only stock Select grade.

I haven't found a Walmart with a good selection of meats. Might just be my area or everything's gone when I get there. I like to go late

good points.. i know i have not done a good job on that since i was so use to pay alot less for grocery but you are right i have to figure better ways. i buy at KROGER, hell i work for them for 20 years:laugh: but the prices are not as good as walmart or heb and since the other two are alot further for me to drive ( i am lazy A@@ when it gets to driving and traffic) i chose to go to kroger which half a mile away.
it is not the matter of if i can afford it, it is the matter of how they shove it to you anyway and anyhow they can and blame it on this and that!!:banghead:

You should still be able to cut that weekly bill to like $60-$75 if you just plan your meals and make a list for just thoes items. I am a budget building machine.... like I said I feed/take care of a family of 5 off of my income alone and my wife is 36 1/2 weeks prego with child #4!

Making a menu helps so much. I've done it for years and now I have no idea how I ever survived without one. The key is to find just the right amount of flexibility. If you don't stick to the menu, what's the point? And being too rigid just isn't any fun.

what is this co pay you speak of?
i will not be voting for obama for one reason....i voted for him hoping the "satus quo" would or could be changed and true change could move this country forward from the wars, corporate profiteering, and anti trust and anti monopoly laws getting actually applied to the health care industry. since 2005 my cost in health care for my family went from 32 bucks a week in a Cadillac plan with no deductibles and no co pays.... to 155 a week and a 5000 deductable and 80/20 plan.... i started paying over 20k a year in health coverage...yea i know blah blah blah...but the point is... capitalism is good as long as there is a healthy competitive market...when the government is DIRECTLY involved in not promoting that....we the citizens suffer

My wife just bought me some Mach 3 razor blades (5 in the pack) for $ 16.99 or $ 3.40 EACH :pullhair: !!!!

RAZOR BLADES, good lord, they can't cost more than a .01 to make in China :laugh:

Buy yourself a quality safety razor, then you can buy 100 packs of blades for less than $20. Once you learn how to use it well, the fancy new razors with 50 blades are no better.

157.jpg

The Obama phone is for people to call someone who gives a hoot :rofl:

Obama didn't cause all of the worlds troubles, he's been cleaning up the bush's mess, and will be again next term. He can only ask for something to be done,the house makes the law..You only here about certain things he does but not the things he really does. There is a word you should look up, it's called integrity. The current president has lots of it that the prior administration lacked. Be thankful he served as the president and wish him the best. We can only blame ourselves for the state of the country..You should use your obama phone to call the lawmakers and voice your thought's, I bet they tell you to do what the phone was built for :laugh: Gasoline hasn't been a $1.86 since bush's early days..

What was the average gas price between 2005-2008? Over $3.00. Have gas prices increased under Obama? Yes. Have they gone up a tremendous amount?

When Bush took office in 2000, gas prices were ~$1.25/gal, and steadily rose to closer to $2 in his first 4 years. In 2005-2006, gas prices were in the $2-3/gal range. In 2007-2008, gas prices were generally high 2s to mid 3s, with a 6 week peak in the summer of 2008. Prices inexplicably dipped below $2 in Dec 2008 (after Obama had already been elected, but before he took office). Prior to that, the last time gas had gone below $2/gal was early 2005.

Trying to paint Obama as doubling the price of gasoline in the 3+ years in office is disingenuous, at best. Gas prices during Obama's 1st 2 years were cheaper than gas prices during Bush's last 2 years.

Of course, the president (Bush, Obama, or other) has only a limited ability to impact the price of gas, but if you're going to try to create an attack against Obama, at least do it by citing meaningful statistics or facts, rather than the cherry picked ones
now i know why you wont answer my pm about the bike stand, to bizzy waving the obama pom poms:whistle:

Go buy the same items from a Spanish grocery store. If its anything like here it will be cheaper.
Tp, condiments and others are a lot less here in Supermercado or the Bodegon compared to Publix or Winn Dixie. Same brands just less

My wife and I buy once a month and we spend around 250.00 for just us two. We shop at Walmart and I am sure it would be much more if we went anywhere else. That does seem kinda high for one person. JMO

Fuel prices are the biggest factor.
EVERYTHING in this country is delivered by a truck.
Diesel is higher than gasoline most places.
The average tractor trailer gets 5 to 6mpg.
The places alot of the things we buy originate from is often times several days drive from where they're going.
If the oil stops, the country stops...literally.

Maybe they just stick it deeper in us CA folks(like everything else),but i do all the grocery shoppin' at our house(local Vons)and even with the buy one/get one free,etc.,etc.,etc. i still drop on average of $150 per week for me and the girlfriend(and the cat and the dog:laugh:).Even a gal. of milk averages around $3.25,everything seems way up from a year ago.

I believe food prices are up because of:

a. corn prices: ethanol = higher demand for corn = higher cost for feed = higher meat/protein prices. I'm not an expert on this, but all of the things I've read about ethanol makes me think it's not a good idea and "we" should find something else.

b. the drought: as much as people (especially non-ag people) hate to hear it, the drought was pretty devastating. Farmers get about $.18/lb for thier crops (according to an article I read in Time over the summer). Even though a drought drives up the prices at the grocery store, it doesn't really help farmers' bottom lines. They've still planted and tended those crops that didn't produce because of the drought. Same thing goes for ranchers - even though beef prices are up, if their cattle are dying or lower quality because of stressful enviroment, they still aren't getting as much money.

c. fuel prices: please don't blame the current administration for this. When I was working for a restaurant company in 2006, we were getting hit with fuel surcharges then - which we never had before. It's not just the current government that screwed things up, the predecessors helped.

d. animal welfare drama: now, I'm an unrepentant carnivore and would never try to "convert" anyone to my way of eating. I'm also pro-animal rights, because if we can treat animals humanely, I don't think we can treat people humanely. However, animals are not people. Chickens are flock animals and don't like to be alone in their own area - it scares them. Yes, I've been to meat processing facilities and I've been okay with how they're run. I also grew up on a farm and have participated in livestock "harvest". Humans are carnivores, our eyes are at the front of our heads and we have sharp incisors and cuspids. Making sure each chicken has a 10ft x 10ft coop to itself is stupid and against the chicken's nature.

This is just my opionion based on observation and life experience. That little cabin in the mountains, off the grid with solar panels, a chicken coop and garden in the back sounds better and better.

Greetings HRHDi!

While I enjoyed and agreed with most of your post, I need to chime in on a couple points in item "d" above:

I agree that nobody needs to force their way of eating on anyone else. HOWEVER (you knew there was HOWEVER on the way, right? :laugh:), there are a lot of reasons for us to eat differently as compared to the average American/Eastern European diet. Very briefly, here are the advantages to adopting a vegetarian/vegan diet

1) It is generally healthier (I'll spare the details here, but they're out there for anyone that is interested).
2) It's CHEAPER! And more sustainable. It takes more plant food (up to 12x more!) to feed meat animals than if humans ate the plants directly.
3) It's more environmental. Animal agriculture produces more (just barely, but it is more) greenhouse gases then car! Partly due to our feeding them poor quality food in an effort to cut costs.
4) It's kinder. No matter how ya look at it, eating meat means killing. (And no, there is no problem getting protein without eating meat. It's easily found in veggies most of us already eat.). And while there are plenty of testimonies about "kind" or "humane", there are just as many testimonies and reports to the contrary. And again, either way, eating meat requires killing an animal.

I do like the idea about an off-grid home. Only one worry: How to be off the grid and still have a good roads for riding nearby. Perhaps I could live off the grid on a small patch of land on the infield of a race track? :)

:beerchug:

Buy yourself a quality safety razor, then you can buy 100 packs of blades for less than $20. Once you learn how to use it well, the fancy new razors with 50 blades are no better.

157.jpg

:thumbsup::bowdown::cheerleader:
I have ALWAYS thought that the razor industry was a HUGE ripoff, especially "high end" handles with $2+ per blade. Then they introduce a NEW, IMPROVED razor that can shave so close that you can shave you don't actually have to touch it to your face! Razors were like the original marketing model for the iPhone! :rofl:

And yes, prices are up. All over. Cost of living is up, slaries are down. Why? Well, here's some food for thought: Take a tour of your home and look for "Made In America" on the things that you own. How many can you count? How many items do you own total? ??? Now, do the math:

# of Made In America items / # of total items

The lower the result, the less we have to complain about.

The only vote that we truly have is the one that we cast with our dollar. :whistle:

Greetings HRHDi!

While I enjoyed and agreed with most of your post, I need to chime in on a couple points in item "d" above:

I agree that nobody needs to force their way of eating on anyone else. HOWEVER (you knew there was HOWEVER on the way, right? :laugh:), there are a lot of reasons for us to eat differently as compared to the average American/Eastern European diet. Very briefly, here are the advantages to adopting a vegetarian/vegan diet

1) It is generally healthier (I'll spare the details here, but they're out there for anyone that is interested).
2) It's CHEAPER! And more sustainable. It takes more plant food (up to 12x more!) to feed meat animals than if humans ate the plants directly.
3) It's more environmental. Animal agriculture produces more (just barely, but it is more) greenhouse gases then car! Partly due to our feeding them poor quality food in an effort to cut costs.
4) It's kinder. No matter how ya look at it, eating meat means killing. (And no, there is no problem getting protein without eating meat. It's easily found in veggies most of us already eat.). And while there are plenty of testimonies about "kind" or "humane", there are just as many testimonies and reports to the contrary. And again, either way, eating meat requires killing an animal.

I do like the idea about an off-grid home. Only one worry: How to be off the grid and still have a good roads for riding nearby. Perhaps I could live off the grid on a small patch of land on the infield of a race track? :)

:beerchug:

I have to quote Ron White on this one.

"I didn't climb to the top of the food chain to eat carrots.":rofl:

Had to do it... as you where:beerchug:

I don't wear no skirts or carry pom pom's, men may do that in TN but not where I come from thanks for looking though :rofl: . i'll send you a pm.
now i know why you wont answer my pm about the bike stand, to bizzy waving the obama pom poms:whistle:

Remember how inflated the prices have become during the current administrations tenure in the whitehouse when you vote on November 6th.

Keep in mind the price of gasoline was $1.86 when the president took office and now it's over $5.00 in many places today.

If you are an average American you have lost 40% of your wealth over the past 4 years.

If you are an average American your annual income has been decreased by $4,300.

However, if you are under the poverty line you can get yourself an Obama Phone free of charge to you but at the expense of your neighbor.

Remember to VOTE. It's not only your right, it's your responsibility to your country! :beerchug:

As fun as it is to blame the president for the current prices for everything, because thats what the main stream media tells you to do. Let's look at some of the real reasons for prices increases.

Increased fuel costs
Decrease in soy production
Increased use of ethanol from corn
Increased consumption by growing nations
Consistent droughts
Asset bubbles spreading into the consumable food market.
Subsidies for farming corn for other than food
Nafta
Massive changes to herbicide and pesticide.

Oh ya massive financial collapse. I'm sure that's Obama fault also.

Lol it's really funny when people blame presidents for stuff they don't have much if any control over.

As for food prices my wife doesn't go shopping with me anymore because I get angry about the prices.

Best way for us to save is buy our Beef and pork from a local. Friends and family split the costs or a whole animal and have it butchered local. Saves money and we know exactly what has gone into our food. Better taste too.

As fun as it is to blame the president for the current prices for everything, because thats what the main stream media tells you to do. Let's look at some of the real reasons for prices increases.

Increased fuel costs
Decrease in soy production
Increased use of ethanol from corn
Increased consumption by growing nations
Consistent droughts
Asset bubbles spreading into the consumable food market.
Subsidies for farming corn for other than food
Nafta
Massive changes to herbicide and pesticide.

Oh ya massive financial collapse. I'm sure that's Obama fault also.

Lol it's really funny when people blame presidents for stuff they don't have much if any control over.

As for food prices my wife doesn't go shopping with me anymore because I get angry about the prices.

Best way for us to save is buy our Beef and pork from a local. Friends and family split the costs or a whole animal and have it butchered local. Saves money and we know exactly what has gone into our food. Better taste too.

The only thing on that list that the government doesn't have a hand in is drought and weather(and they would if they could).
Blame Obama? No, not just him. Blame the whole sorry lot of them in Washington, past and present.

The only thing on that list that the government doesn't have a hand in is drought and weather(and they would if they could).
Blame Obama? No, not just him. Blame the whole sorry lot of them in Washington, past and present.

amen...:thumbsup:

the fees for toll rd just went up again last month in my area,, they always say that it is for improvement,, bull crap.. the toll booth lines are longer, less booth open, lazier clerks with stinking attitude and more broken equipments,,,:whistle::whistle:

and i forgot... you got about 10-12 constable cars hanging around each toll booth area doing what???? nothing...:banghead:

Back