grocery prices??

shawnski

Donating Member
Registered
is it me just not knowing how to buy grocery wisely or is it because it is just getting too expensive recently??
i am single and i buy once a week little food , snacks and bathroom things and i try to shop around for best values ( generic vs. brands) but when it totals in register it comes down to about 100-120 each time!!!:banghead:
this is about 30-40 dollars more than what i use to pay!!
hell i am not good with coupons but looks like it is time to learn how to use them!!:whistle:
i worked in grocery business for 20 years buyer, store director for major supermarket and this SH@@ just does not make sense..
hmmm.. what kind of excuses are they giving us for that?? gas prices, drought, etc etc..

Remember how inflated the prices have become during the current administrations tenure in the whitehouse when you vote on November 6th.

Keep in mind the price of gasoline was $1.86 when the president took office and now it's over $5.00 in many places today.

If you are an average American you have lost 40% of your wealth over the past 4 years.

If you are an average American your annual income has been decreased by $4,300.

However, if you are under the poverty line you can get yourself an Obama Phone free of charge to you but at the expense of your neighbor.

Remember to VOTE. It's not only your right, it's your responsibility to your country! :beerchug:

The Obama phone is for people to call someone who gives a hoot :rofl:

Obama didn't cause all of the worlds troubles, he's been cleaning up the bush's mess, and will be again next term. He can only ask for something to be done,the house makes the law..You only here about certain things he does but not the things he really does. There is a word you should look up, it's called integrity. The current president has lots of it that the prior administration lacked. Be thankful he served as the president and wish him the best. We can only blame ourselves for the state of the country..You should use your obama phone to call the lawmakers and voice your thought's, I bet they tell you to do what the phone was built for :laugh: Gasoline hasn't been a $1.86 since bush's early days..

What was the average gas price between 2005-2008? Over $3.00. Have gas prices increased under Obama? Yes. Have they gone up a tremendous amount?

When Bush took office in 2000, gas prices were ~$1.25/gal, and steadily rose to closer to $2 in his first 4 years. In 2005-2006, gas prices were in the $2-3/gal range. In 2007-2008, gas prices were generally high 2s to mid 3s, with a 6 week peak in the summer of 2008. Prices inexplicably dipped below $2 in Dec 2008 (after Obama had already been elected, but before he took office). Prior to that, the last time gas had gone below $2/gal was early 2005.

Trying to paint Obama as doubling the price of gasoline in the 3+ years in office is disingenuous, at best. Gas prices during Obama's 1st 2 years were cheaper than gas prices during Bush's last 2 years.

Of course, the president (Bush, Obama, or other) has only a limited ability to impact the price of gas, but if you're going to try to create an attack against Obama, at least do it by citing meaningful statistics or facts, rather than the cherry picked ones

Remember how inflated the prices have become during the current administrations tenure in the whitehouse when you vote on November 6th.

Keep in mind the price of gasoline was $1.86 when the president took office and now it's over $5.00 in many places today.

If you are an average American you have lost 40% of your wealth over the past 4 years.

If you are an average American your annual income has been decreased by $4,300.

However, if you are under the poverty line you can get yourself an Obama Phone free of charge to you but at the expense of your neighbor.

Remember to VOTE. It's not only your right, it's your responsibility to your country! :beerchug:

Last edited by a moderator:
The Obama phone is for people to call someone who gives a hoot :rofl:

Obama didn't cause all of the worlds troubles, he's been cleaning up the bush's mess, and will be again next term. He can only ask for something to be done,the house makes the law..You only here about certain things he does but not the things he really does. There is a word you should look up, it's called integrity. The current president has lots of it that the prior administration lacked. Be thankful he served as the president and wish him the best. We can only blame ourselves for the state of the country..You should use your obama phone to call the lawmakers and voice your thought's, I bet they tell you to do what the phone was built for :laugh:

thanks... i was thinking that is the direction this topic will end!! :laugh:
what is the phone number?? LOL

I almost never comment on politics cause folks try to persuade folks with bs and it shows their true colors.. Use facts to base your opinions on the election decision like you do on buying motorcycle parts. When was the last time you brought a chinese or hong kong part :rofl: and asked a usa company to help you learn to use it, who's destroying the country again :rofl:
\

Back to the op question,it is ridiculous how food price have soared but it has lots to do with the economy, transportation expenses and demand. I use to own a trucking company and you don't really want to know how that goes.. You ever seen a airplane land in walmart parking lot to make a delivery :laugh:

Back on topic, yes, groceries are getting more expensive. Try feeding two adults and 3 teenage boys. :banghead: We spend around 600 a month on groceries. Sams Club helps keep the cost down, but buying in bulk only works for certain items. The kids eat all the time. :laugh:

Facts can be pretty twisted my friend. I know that my check doesn't go nearly as far as it use to. I know that we have lost our triple A rating, I know that we are headed toward a $36 Trillion national debt. I work with people every day and I hear the same complaints. Times are very hard brother.

Back on topic, yes, groceries are getting more expensive. Try feeding two adults and 3 teenage boys. :banghead: We spend around 600 a month on groceries. Sams Club helps keep the cost down, but buying in bulk only works for certain items. The kids eat all the time. :laugh:

+1 Except for short shelf life items, we make a list for the whole month, go to Sams, or Costco and buy only off the list, the things we need.

Problem with going to the store frequently, is one buys more stuff that is not really needed with each visit.

i will not be voting for obama for one reason....i voted for him hoping the "satus quo" would or could be changed and true change could move this country forward from the wars, corporate profiteering, and anti trust and anti monopoly laws getting actually applied to the health care industry. since 2005 my cost in health care for my family went from 32 bucks a week in a Cadillac plan with no deductibles and no co pays.... to 155 a week and a 5000 deductable and 80/20 plan.... i started paying over 20k a year in health coverage...yea i know blah blah blah...but the point is... capitalism is good as long as there is a healthy competitive market...when the government is DIRECTLY involved in not promoting that....we the citizens suffer

The Obama phone is for people to call someone who gives a fcuk :rofl:

Obama didn't cause all of the worlds troubles, he's been cleaning up the bush's mess, and will be again next term. He can only ask for something to be done,the house makes the law..You only here about certain things he does but not the things he really does. There is a word you should look up, it's called integrity. The current president has lots of it that the prior administration lacked. Be thankful he served as the president and wish him the best. We can only blame ourselves for the state of the country..You should use your obama phone to call the lawmakers and voice your thought's, I bet they tell you to do what the phone was built for :laugh: Gasoline hasn't been a $1.86 since bush's early days..

What was the average gas price between 2005-2008? Over $3.00. Have gas prices increased under Obama? Yes. Have they gone up a tremendous amount?

When Bush took office in 2000, gas prices were ~$1.25/gal, and steadily rose to closer to $2 in his first 4 years. In 2005-2006, gas prices were in the $2-3/gal range. In 2007-2008, gas prices were generally high 2s to mid 3s, with a 6 week peak in the summer of 2008. Prices inexplicably dipped below $2 in Dec 2008 (after Obama had already been elected, but before he took office). Prior to that, the last time gas had gone below $2/gal was early 2005.

Trying to paint Obama as doubling the price of gasoline in the 3+ years in office is disingenuous, at best. Gas prices during Obama's 1st 2 years were cheaper than gas prices during Bush's last 2 years.

Of course, the president (Bush, Obama, or other) has only a limited ability to impact the price of gas, but if you're going to try to create an attack against Obama, at least do it by citing meaningful statistics or facts, rather than the cherry picked ones

If you live a hundred years my friend, you cannot make up enough excuses to give this man a free pass. I also voted for him last go around because, like you, I thought he would bring us together as a country. To my dismay, this is the most devisive man to enter the oval office in my life time and possibly since George Washington.

Needless to say, I have paid close attention to his deeds which don't fulfill his rhetoric. In my view he has turned out to be lazy and disconnected. I feel deceived and now he ask for my vote for another 4 years of deception? You can fool me once but its more difficult the second time :dunno:

Oh good I just though it was my Buck not going as far. I used to work in a hardware store and we watched as the corporate HQ ate the increased shipping cost to keep the customer prices down. I think the price of fuel impacts all the consumer good we buy.

My wife just bought me some Mach 3 razor blades (5 in the pack) for $ 16.99 or $ 3.40 EACH :pullhair: !!!!

RAZOR BLADES, good lord, they can't cost more than a .01 to make in China :laugh:

My wife just bought me some Mach 3 razor blades (5 in the pack) for $ 16.99 or $ 3.40 EACH :pullhair: !!!!

RAZOR BLADES, good lord, they can't cost more than a .01 to make in China :laugh:

that is becuase of drought in some part of our country!!:rofl::rofl:

Oh good I just though it was my Buck not going as far. I used to work in a hardware store and we watched as the corporate HQ ate the increased shipping cost to keep the customer prices down. I think the price of fuel impacts all the consumer good we buy.

... and guess who gets effected by that.. employees pay and benefits!!

Do you make a list of meals for the week? This is the trick I use and it keeps my prices way down. I live in Houston too and I feed a family of 5 for $150 a week in food and about another $20 in toiletries. I don’t clip coupons and I don’t run to 50 different stores to buy one or two items they have on sale. I shop at HEB and Walmart/Target. If you’re dropping $120 a week on this stuff and it is just for you then you need to make a list and stick to it not just buy random stuff.

My wife and I sit down every week and plan out meals. We pick 7 dinners that we want to have and then check the shelves to see what we already have and what we need for them. Then we build a list based off of what we need. Meat is where you bill can go way up…HEB always has sales on meat. Lunch and breakfast are easy…eggs, cereal, bacon…then sandwich stuff and some hamburger patties. Toss in a few bags of chips, maybe some cookies and you have all the stuff you need for the week.

The HEB brand stuff is just as good, if not better than 85% of the name brand stuff. Every now and then I find something that I just don’t think is worth the savings for but you will need to try them and see which ones you like. Before we made specific meal lists like that we were dropping $200-225 a week just for food and now we’re at $140-160 for food plus what we spend on TP and stuff from Walmart.

I know most people hate going to walmart, but they have about the best prices on groceries. I get most everything from there besides meat.

I believe food prices are up because of:

a. corn prices: ethanol = higher demand for corn = higher cost for feed = higher meat/protein prices. I'm not an expert on this, but all of the things I've read about ethanol makes me think it's not a good idea and "we" should find something else.

b. the drought: as much as people (especially non-ag people) hate to hear it, the drought was pretty devastating. Farmers get about $.18/lb for thier crops (according to an article I read in Time over the summer). Even though a drought drives up the prices at the grocery store, it doesn't really help farmers' bottom lines. They've still planted and tended those crops that didn't produce because of the drought. Same thing goes for ranchers - even though beef prices are up, if their cattle are dying or lower quality because of stressful enviroment, they still aren't getting as much money.

c. fuel prices: please don't blame the current administration for this. When I was working for a restaurant company in 2006, we were getting hit with fuel surcharges then - which we never had before. It's not just the current government that screwed things up, the predecessors helped.

d. animal welfare drama: now, I'm an unrepentant carnivore and would never try to "convert" anyone to my way of eating. I'm also pro-animal rights, because if we can treat animals humanely, I don't think we can treat people humanely. However, animals are not people. Chickens are flock animals and don't like to be alone in their own area - it scares them. Yes, I've been to meat processing facilities and I've been okay with how they're run. I also grew up on a farm and have participated in livestock "harvest". Humans are carnivores, our eyes are at the front of our heads and we have sharp incisors and cuspids. Making sure each chicken has a 10ft x 10ft coop to itself is stupid and against the chicken's nature.

This is just my opionion based on observation and life experience. That little cabin in the mountains, off the grid with solar panels, a chicken coop and garden in the back sounds better and better.

I know most people hate going to walmart, but they have about the best prices on groceries. I get most everything from there besides meat.

Did you know Walmart and Sam's has Choice quality beef? And that's their Walmart brand. It's because they buy such vast quantities that they can offer higher quality at lower prices. At least, 2 1/2 years ago when I was working in the food industry, they did. Most other grocery stores only stock Select grade.

Do you make a list of meals for the week? This is the trick I use and it keeps my prices way down. I live in Houston too and I feed a family of 5 for $150 a week in food and about another $20 in toiletries. I don’t clip coupons and I don’t run to 50 different stores to buy one or two items they have on sale. I shop at HEB and Walmart/Target. If you’re dropping $120 a week on this stuff and it is just for you then you need to make a list and stick to it not just buy random stuff.

My wife and I sit down every week and plan out meals. We pick 7 dinners that we want to have and then check the shelves to see what we already have and what we need for them. Then we build a list based off of what we need. Meat is where you bill can go way up…HEB always has sales on meat. Lunch and breakfast are easy…eggs, cereal, bacon…then sandwich stuff and some hamburger patties. Toss in a few bags of chips, maybe some cookies and you have all the stuff you need for the week.

The HEB brand stuff is just as good, if not better than 85% of the name brand stuff. Every now and then I find something that I just don’t think is worth the savings for but you will need to try them and see which ones you like. Before we made specific meal lists like that we were dropping $200-225 a week just for food and now we’re at $140-160 for food plus what we spend on TP and stuff from Walmart.

good points.. i know i have not done a good job on that since i was so use to pay alot less for grocery but you are right i have to figure better ways. i buy at KROGER, hell i work for them for 20 years:laugh: but the prices are not as good as walmart or heb and since the other two are alot further for me to drive ( i am lazy A@@ when it gets to driving and traffic) i chose to go to kroger which half a mile away.
it is not the matter of if i can afford it, it is the matter of how they shove it to you anyway and anyhow they can and blame it on this and that!!:banghead:

Back