Grinding sound

manatrader

Donating Member
Registered
Here is the new noise that my busa is doing, it now has 30,000 miles on it and everything was just fine a few days ago, but now it is making a grinding sound. I am having a hard time figuring out what is causing the sound but it appears it may be the chain creating the sound. I have cleaned the chain, front sprocket and rear sprocket, greased it up and it sounds just fine. Adjust the chain and it still sounds just fine, but as I tighten, the rear wheel axle up it then starts to make the grinding sound.

Any ideas what it may be?

Bike is on the rear stand during this process.

Does it make the "grinding sound" while riding it? How many miles are currently clocked on the chain? Are there any binds present on the chain?

Wheel bearing?
rock.gif

Yes it is the Wheel bearing i have the same problems,two of the back Wheel bearing whas bad,not locking good.

Those are appear to be easy to change, but not sure if they would make the sound I'm hearing, can the front sprocket teeth cause the chain to bind up, I'm going to try to make a sound clip of it tonight.

How tight is the chain? Also, when adjusting the chain, you may want to have it on the floor instead of having it on the rear stand...

It sounds to me like the bearing because you stated that it doenst make the noise until you tighen the axle nut. So when you put pressure on the bearing, it starts making the noise. If there is no pressure on the bearing, the parts inside are free to move with out restriction but when pressure is applied, you get the "grinding" noise. If you have 30,000 miles on them and they have been through repeated use and possible over torquing (unless you you a torque wrench on your axle nut) then its possible that the bearings are just worn out... Just my .02's but i could be wrong though. Noises can sometimes be hard to figure out... Let us know what you find!

It sounds to me like the bearing because you stated that it doenst make the noise until you tighen the axle nut.  So when you put pressure on the bearing, it starts making the noise.  If there is no pressure on the bearing, the parts inside are free to move with out restriction but when pressure is applied, you get the "grinding" noise.  If you have 30,000 miles on them and they have been through repeated use and possible over torquing (unless you you a torque wrench on your axle nut)  then its possible that the bearings are just worn out...   Just my .02's but i could be wrong though.  Noises can sometimes be hard to figure out... Let us know what you find!
I have an idea to find out if its the bearing or not, I will remove the chain and tighten the rear wheel that should tell me for sure. I kind of hope its the bearing since they are most likely the least expensive part to replace.

I just went through this with my bike, while on a trip. A dealer replaced the wheel bearings and spacer, which helped, but upon returning home, it still clicked. I replaced the chain and sprockets. My front sprocket was toast, and I bet that was the primary problem. I have 22,000 miles, with 12,000 on the last chain. Always replace chain and sprockets at the same time (if possible. I couldn't when the first one failed on a trip).

Okay this is what I found out tonight and I am even more complexed now. Took the chain off and turned the rear wheel no sounds and spins just fine, I may replace the bearings anyways but it's not them. Spun the front sprocket and no nothing there feels out of place even the sprocket looks okay. The only thing is the wheel dampers appear to have a little wear, could they cause the chain to bind up or be out of alignment causing this noise?

<!--EDIT|manatrader
Reason for Edit: None given...|1156385484 -->

Mana, when you say the wheel damper, you mean the cush drive, correct?

I recall having the same problem with my chain, If I recalll correctly, the chain had about 23-24k miles. The clicking would would occur when I would tighten the chain to nearly the final reference mark on the swingarm, of course, upon replacing the chain the clicking noise went away. I'm not saying that it's your chain, but try and leave the chain a tad looser than what the repair manual suggests and see if you get the grinding or clicking noise...

Back