Lots a racket going on

Boo

Registered
Hoping its as simple as a loose ( or an old crap) chain....sounds like the chain is either conflicting with something or otherwise grinding. No loss in power or torque that I can feel. A good deal of racket when starting from a stop, then becomes a slow cadence of a low steady grinding. I can feel the vibration in my left peg. Maybe a little more pronounced in a turn.

The initial grind sounds like there may be some plastic involved. I can't move the chain from the 3 o'clock position in the rear sprocket, seems tight. Haven't really dug into to it yet. Sound familiar????

Seized links in the chain? Really bad wheel bearing?

Get the bike up on a stand and turn the rear wheel by hand to find the problem before you ride anymore.

20k on what I'm guessing is the original chain (bought it used). Likely time for a new one regardless the issue. Getting it up on the stand is good advise.

Sounds like the chain. When is the last time it got a good cleaning and lube?

I've only had the bike for a week....so I have no choice but to assume...never. That will all change this week though. I was really hoping to put some $$$ in to a 4 N2 1 alien head on it but I figure I best get the fundamentals in check before I start getting into the fun stuff.

I've only had the bike for a week....so I have no choice but to assume...never. That will all change this week though. I was really hoping to put some $$$ in to a 4 N2 1 alien head on it but I figure I best get the fundamentals in check before I start getting into the fun stuff.

Clean it good with kerosene and lube it up good and see if it quiets down. 20K is about at the end of its life.

I clean mine about every thousand miles with WD 40 and use maxim chain wax , gold can.

Got it. Thanks for the quick responses and the tips. I'll get it taken care of. I'll let you all know what the fix ends up being. Thanks again.

i'm around the same mileage and i just cleaned mine with diesel fuel and a good coarse brush then lube the piss out of it. the salt and sand from the roads will sound like what you are describing which just happened to me the other day wheeling her out of the garage. to measure slack, have the bike on the kick stand and place your index finger in the middle of the chain(front sprocket to rear) bottom and press up. i thought about an 1"-1.5" but stick with the 3/4" and go from there like mentioned above. :thumbsup:

Got it. Thanks for the quick responses and the tips. I'll get it taken care of. I'll let you all know what the fix ends up being. Thanks again.
It's very bad on the bike to run it like that :poke:

Put it up on the stand and turned the rear wheel as recommended. There was an area of the chain that was fused and jumping over some teeth, so I decided to replace it today. I wanted to check the front sprocket for signs of wear, so while I was in there, and considering the miles on the chain, I'd be replacing it shortly anyway. Smooth and silky for now. I'll tighten it up again after a few miles. I'll keep this one in good repair. Should be good to go. Thanks again for the info.:thumbsup:

Back