Gonna buy a Harley

I've never owned one, don't want one and have no need for one. BUT, most of my riding friends here are on their 3rd-4th or 5th one. Wouldn't have anything else and just LOVE IT. Those with wives who travel (good friend down the street who had a his and hers) now have the Ultra whatever with all the bells and whisles :whistle: . She sold hers and they travel all over the US on it and for them, it's the ONLY bike to have. So, get what makes YOU proud and puts that, "I gotta go riding" feeling in you everytime you see it. :beerchug:

Willem why don't you consider a nice touring bike like a Beemer or the Kawi Contours or even a Hoonda Goldwing??? You'd have a blast on those and she'd be as confortable as a pig in mud on the back for hundreds of miles....look at all your options before you open the wallet for something that may spend more timein the shop then on the road.... just sayin'

I'd love to have a Night Rod Special with a V&H Competition Series exhaust, but not as my only bike. Definitely not giving up the Busa.

We have a different view of Harley riders over here in britain...

Village-People-YMCA-207542.jpg

I had a '07 Softail Classic, and in the 8 months I had it, I put over 10,000 miles on it. My wife loved riding shotgun. I regret having to sell it, but I will never get rid of my busa. As far as wifey riding shotgun on the busa:thumbsup:, she just screams the whole trip.:rofl:

Do what you like/love to do. Don't let others sway your decision, (it sounds as though you've already made one). Leave Regrets behind..... they distract you from what you are experiencing now. Live each day to the fullest.... it could be your last. No disrespect here. It still has 2 wheels.
Ride safe.
Ride as often as you can.

Reason #4 says it all! :laugh: Probably get tired of leading the way on a Busa and if you ride behind them you get tired of dodging parts and the smell of 50 Briggs and Strattons. :poke:

thats funny but i thought they were kholer engins! all I will say is go with what makes you happy, but the busa is a comfortable bike. corbin rear seat with backrest my wife loves it and I love the heli bars and the buell pegs and the double bubble. Me and my wife have been on 200 and change mile trips together and we love it. just my 2 pennies

thats funny but i thought they were kholer engins! all I will say is go with what makes you happy, but the busa is a comfortable bike. corbin rear seat with backrest my wife loves it and I love the heli bars and the buell pegs and the double bubble. Me and my wife have been on 200 and change mile trips together and we love it. just my 2 pennies

Actually probably closer to John Deere....all kidding aside, the only people who seem to b*tch and moan about HD's are those that suffer from penis envy and wish they had one (a HD I mean). If it weren't true why would they spend so much time harping on the subject? Two completely different sytles of riding, touring vs. sport.

I would thy and steer you away from the Harley because they really are not worth the price, and no matter what you hear the company may have been founded here in the US but they are made oversea. The only 100% American made bike is a Victory.
Reasons to not get a Harley
1. Slower than everything
2. Not as good gas milage as cruisers with equal power
3. Technology is way behind
4. Will overheat in traffic (no water cool)
5. Won't last as long due to the overheating.
6. You can buy 2 metric cruisers for the price of 1 Harley.

So really other than the sound why would someone buy a Harley?

Also, if you see a bike on a trailer odds are its a Harley, wonder why they don't wanna ride them the distance. Kinda makes it just look like a show off piece to let everyone know you have it, but the only time you wanna ride it is when someone is looking. :laugh:

It doesn't matter what you ride sportbike or cruiser normally after about 150 - 200 miles your ready for a little break anyway.

klatu,
My 1st HD was a '95 Heritage Softail Classic so your Softail brings back memories (specially cleaning the laced rims).

P.S. Are those V&H Big Shots Long? Got them on mine too...another pic for the haters :whistle: (paging dmrowe)

83851-kromdom-albums-4944-02-rkc-picture29823-orange-and-bling.jpg

My wife bought an 05 Deluxe and I bought an 05 Road King, in 2005. I learned a lot in the two years we owned our HDs. But the two biggest things were: one, air cooled engines are not current tech and should not be used in South Texas. Two, I have had, and still have, good relationships with several motorcycle dealerships; but, all three HD dealerships I tried were pitiful examples of poor attitudes. I think item two would keep me from buying another HD, even if they fell to 2025 prices.

None whatsoever but dont get a Harley. Get Victory and it will outlast and outrun literally any Harley on the market. :whistle:

There is a review of the Victory Vegas Jackpot in Popular Mechanics. This thing has 1731 ccs and puts out a measly 79 rwhp. And, it weighs 652 pounds! It doesn't specify what the torque is, so it might be great for pulling up stumps. I think you can find tractors cheaper than the $20,349 it costs.

There is a Yamaha Raider S that has 1854ccs and puts out a whopping 84 hp, with a weight of 719 pounds. Also you can have a Honda Fury that is 1312 ccs and an astonishing 56 rwhp. It weighs 663 pounds.

All are V twins and have small single disc front brakes with air cooled engines.

If I wanted comfort, I would go with a Gold Wing.

Nice Bike Ken! :beerchug:

I would thy and steer you away from the Harley because they really are not worth the price, and no matter what you hear the company may have been founded here in the US but they are made oversea. The only 100% American made bike is a Victory.
Reasons to not get a Harley
1. Slower than everything
2. Not as good gas milage as cruisers with equal power
3. Technology is way behind
4. Will overheat in traffic (no water cool)
5. Won't last as long due to the overheating.
6. You can buy 2 metric cruisers for the price of 1 Harley.

So really other than the sound why would someone buy a Harley?

Also, if you see a bike on a trailer odds are its a Harley, wonder why they don't wanna ride them the distance. Kinda makes it just look like a show off piece to let everyone know you have it, but the only time you wanna ride it is when someone is looking. :laugh:

It doesn't matter what you ride sportbike or cruiser normally after about 150 - 200 miles your ready for a little break anyway.

Kevin, I would have to ask the question, have you ever owned a HD?

The comment that the HD's are made overseas is bogus, some of of the components are made overseas but the preponderance of the sourcing, manufacturing and all of the assembly takes place in the US, just as with Victory. Based on the shifting economic markets and need to reduce costs every manufacturer in the US outsources something to Taiwan, Korea or China. The only companies that actually contribute more components made in the US is probably Honda and Kawasaki which both have manufacturing facilties in the Marysville, OH and Nebraska. "Manufacturers cannot just claim to be 'made in the USA', the FTC has a specific criteria for what percentage of parts must be made and sourced in the United States. There is also a minimum percentage requirement for assembly and manufacturing."

Here is a link to a very good article on "Why I'm Glad I Bought an HD"

Why I’m Glad I Bought a Harley-Davidson : Motorcycle Forum

At the end of the day it is a personal decision and you reap the rewards for your decision and you endure the consequences. The decision should be fully informed and with complete honesty to yourself for the type of riding you are going to be doing. If I had read all the posts about the problems with the Gen 1 2nd gear I might have had second thoughts about buying my '06. But I just haven't had any problems and couldn't be happier. The same is true of HD's, until you have owned, ridden and gained your own experience with them you are not in a position to pass judgement. And anyone who makes comments about 'Jap Crap' gets the same speech. It's not what you ride, but that you ride....Just my :2cents:

Back