God i hate my friends ......i need help

Too much?! Hell I am running a 190/55 on the rear, with 1" taller dogbones (soupies), and I am running a 46 tooth rear sprocket for a shorter wheel base (shortened it 5/8").... and think its tons better then stock. I have rode mine back to back with a stock busa, and love the direction I went with my busa! I got more front in feel, better turn in and out of corners, and think I could go a little more. I do more corner carving then straight line running with my busa, so there are trade offs!

The Brembo M/c with SS lines and ebc extreme pads should give you the braking performance both gen 1 and gen 2 busa's are missing!

from talking to blackdiamondbusa most of his riding is straight line to and from work hence why he was wanting to go wide tire for a while but doesnt realize going wide tire you give up cornering and going taller etc hes giving up things in straight line riding

I would say just learn your bike and how it handles. My suspension is lowered 1" in the rear and I have no problem keeping up with the bikes around here when I want to, and if I know the road I am usually waiting at the turn offs for bikes to catch up. I am not a pro and neither are the guys I ride with. However, I have put 62,000 miles on the ol' bus

What kind of Ebc pads?
If you just got a stock replacement there is really no difference.
Ebc "extreme pro" pads make a big improvement in stopping power by themselves, and it's very noticeable.

Also, if you've never ridden a 1000 other than an 02 R1...you REALLY NEED to ride an 05 or newer gsxr1000(or 04/05 Ninja 1000)!!!!
There is no comparison. Most any girl much over a 100lbs hates 600/750/1000 passenger seats too, regardless of brand of bike.:beerchug:

What kind of Ebc pads?
Ebc "extreme pro" pads make a big improvement in stopping power by themselves, and it's very noticeable.

Also, if you've never ridden a 1000 other than an 02 R1...you REALLY NEED to ride an 05 or newer gsxr1000(or 04/05 Ninja 1000)!!!!
There is no comparison. Most any girl much over a 100lbs hates 600/750/1000 passenger seats too, regardless of brand of bike.:beerchug:

i completely agree.. id saya set of stainless steel lines ebc extreme pro pads good set of levers 55 rear tire and adjust the suspension for you and you will love the difference

I would say just learn your bike and how it handles. My suspension is lowered 1" in the rear and I have no problem keeping up with the bikes around here when I want to, and if I know the road I am usually waiting at the turn offs for bikes to catch up. I am not a pro and neither are the guys I ride with. However, I have put 62,000 miles on the ol' bus

yeah i know im still learning my bike and its got more in it just couldnt believe the difference. we went from the local pub to the gas station all of us 2up, about 6 miles of nice curves. i got to the station and filled up before the other bikes arrived :laugh:

What kind of Ebc pads?

i am running the pros in the front and it does stop better i dont like the travel in my lever before it grabs, the r1 is brakes are right there no travel before they start grabbing and they seem to bite better too. yeah the only 1000 i have been on is that R1. he had to replace the clutch and couldnt get it working so i had to go fix it for him. got it done took it for a test ride and was amazed what the new clutch did for it. when i got back first thing i txted him was its fixed, second was that i wanted to ride a newer gsxr 1000:laugh: i thought it was funny all the other girls had only been on the back of the bikes for like 15-20 minutes tops. so when we went for the long rides this weekend it really killed them. my girl has no probelms on my bike for long rides, now i just got to get her a back rest.

i am running the pros in the front and it does stop better i dont like the travel in my lever before it grabs, the r1 is brakes are right there no travel before they start grabbing and they seem to bite better too. yeah the only 1000 i have been on is that R1. he had to replace the clutch and couldnt get it working so i had to go fix it for him. got it done took it for a test ride and was amazed what the new clutch did for it. when i got back first thing i txted him was its fixed, second was that i wanted to ride a newer gsxr 1000:laugh: i thought it was funny all the other girls had only been on the back of the bikes for like 15-20 minutes tops. so when we went for the long rides this weekend it really killed them. my girl has no probelms on my bike for long rides, now i just got to get her a back rest.

change your lines and you will get rid of that problem especially getting a good set of levers

change your lines and you will get rid of that problem especially getting a good set of levers

+1 on the levers.
A cheap part that's usually overlooked, and for some reason not considered "performance" by many.
Being able to adjust them where they grab further from the bars than stock is a big plus, as you can use 1 or 2 fingers easily and not crush the ones still on the grip.
Also, if you like the feel of shorties or different bends of levers that helps alot too. The more comfortable you are on any bike the more relaxed you'll be with control, and be more focused on what's ahead. You'll have a nicer ride as one more part fits "YOU" the individual better.
It's good to check with who's near you with aftermarket parts you can try first. I love shortie levers, and you may decide to try them, but end up hating them. It's just like seats, which is best is a personal preference.:beerchug:

When you start getting the real modification addiction it can get really really bad. I agree with almost everyone of the recommendations here. SS lines so you don't get fade when the fluids start to overheat when doing alot of hard braking on tracks. Upgrade your pads to a real race pad. The HH pads are good but they are not as good as a real race pad. They are not cheap. Only get the fronts done. Wave rotors are a nice performance upgrade but not a huge difference.
Look, the Busa is a heavy sportsbike. It has more grunt than you can realistically handle in real application of road racing or track conditions. The stock supension on the Bus sucks. Even when dialed in correctly by someone who knows what they are doing is nothing compared to what an Ohlin or Race Tech upgrade will do for you. It is the difference between night and day. Think about revalving and respringing your front end with Race Tech out of Corona, California. I put on a full race strut in the rear because handling is very important to me. This bike is not the same bike anymore. I also put on full titanium race pipe which dropped over 40 lbs. I put on BST carbon fiber wheels and this bike is so nimble I have scrapped fairings before i knew it...These are not cheap upgrades.
I am not afraid of any liter bike made out there for performance. I don't get stupid with them either. But my Busa probably has more upgrades than 90% of the bikes on this org. She handles so sweetly and responds like a knife instead of a wallowing pig. That is what she was before dropping some serious money in her.

When you start getting the real modification addiction it can get really really bad. I agree with almost everyone of the recommendations here. SS lines so you don't get fade when the fluids start to overheat when doing alot of hard braking on tracks. Upgrade your pads to a real race pad. The HH pads are good but they are not as good as a real race pad. They are not cheap. Only get the fronts done. Wave rotors are a nice performance upgrade but not a huge difference.
Look, the Busa is a heavy sportsbike. It has more grunt than you can realistically handle in real application of road racing or track conditions. The stock supension on the Bus sucks. Even when dialed in correctly by someone who knows what they are doing is nothing compared to what an Ohlin or Race Tech upgrade will do for you. It is the difference between night and day. Think about revalving and respringing your front end with Race Tech out of Corona, California. I put on a full race strut in the rear because handling is very important to me. This bike is not the same bike anymore. I also put on full titanium race pipe which dropped over 40 lbs. I put on BST carbon fiber wheels and this bike is so nimble I have scrapped fairings before i knew it...These are not cheap upgrades.
I am not afraid of any liter bike made out there for performance. I don't get stupid with them either. But my Busa probably has more upgrades than 90% of the bikes on this org. She handles so sweetly and responds like a knife instead of a wallowing pig. That is what she was before dropping some serious money in her.
yeah i want to do small stuff first anyways because i dont have the skill yet to push the stock stuff. i just dont like the brake feel after the ride on the R1.

stopping your SUV will never be like stopping your car. stopping your car will never be like stopping your busa and stopping your busa will never be like stopping your boys' 1000. can u improve it? definitely but the dynamics involved are different and will always exist to a point. the 1000 is a different bike and from what youre describing youre trying to acheive i dont think youll be satisfied youll just have much better braking. save up for a 1000.

Just a quick suggestion from an old guy that has done all this stuff in various combinations.....don't buy things hoping and or wondering how much better it'll be. Research others' trial and error and all that is available here on the org in past conversations. I can say that just a few items in the aftermarket will transform your brakes dramatically. S/S lines are big, your front fork is a fine unit if dialed in properly(probably including springs upgrade) if $2500-$3000 isn't a big deal for you the Ohlins unit is at the top of the foodchain, BUT there are many ways to profoundly improve your Gen I's abilities to stop short of those big bucks. Remember, there is a strong relationship between brakes and suspension when you start aftermarketing into top tier performance (for example, stock front fork springs don't coexist well with highend rotors, radial master cylinder, s/s lines, etc.)suddenly the front end "dives" even under moderate braking. It's a big story, read about it, savor it, enjoy the transformation, step by step, then be amazed at how that ol Busa steps up with the newer, lighter "girls". I promise it'll be talked about with your literbike buddies when you stop for coffee! Gotta go to work now, good luck and have fun. Raydog

Good Post Doyle!

The one thing I can add is none of those things will improve his skills nor will they make him faster. All those upgrades are great once the skill level has outgrown the stock goodies which is rare for street riders.

mistaforty said:
stopping your SUV will never be like stopping your car. stopping your car will never be like stopping your busa and stopping your busa will never be like stopping your boys' 1000. can u improve it? definitely but the dynamics involved are different and will always exist to a point. the 1000 is a different bike and from what youre describing youre trying to acheive i dont think youll be satisfied youll just have much better braking. save up for a 1000.

I understand I won't get it to stop and handle a 1000 but for the year I have been on this site I have seen the few that have turned there busas toward canyon craving machines. The gen1 can improve the brakes alot.

Tufbusa said:
Good Post Doyle!

The one thing I can add is none of those things will improve his skills nor will they make him faster. All those upgrades are great once the skill level has outgrown the stock goodies which is rare for street riders.

Yes I understand the bike is above my skill for what I want. I have been saving up gear and all I have left to get is boots before my first track day which will be hopefully in July.

Back