I NEED HELP

loboboy

Donating Member
Registered
I have done search after search and read everything I can about all the communicators out there and I still can not ma ke decision and I need my brothers help.

I am really looking at the Autocom system and the Chatterbox but do not want to spend the money on the autocom if it is not needed. I need some really good input on the GMRS-X1 chatterbox to complete my research before I buy so please give me all of your input for this subject. I have to order today or Monday at the latest so I can have them before I go to Cyclefest in Copper Mountain.

Ks I know you have done your homework so please speak up with your honest opinions.

Another thing money is not a deciding factor so don't let that sway your opinions. Thanks!

The Chatterbox is a decent system but has a lot of short commings. The G unit tears through batteries so go with the F unit. But, if you are really looking to do bike to bike communications, I would seriously look at the AutoCom and the J&M... The J&M being the best by far.

- Speaker make a huge difference. Autocoms can be touchy depending on your helmet.

- Chatterbox built in radio unit can has limited adjustments on base volumn for beeps and such. Can kill your ears.

- The Chatterbox VOX is poor.

- The J&M is the top of the line for speakers and quality.

If money is not an issue, go J&M. If money is somewhat of an issue go Autocom. If you want just music, just rig an mp3 player to J&M or Chatterbox speakers. This works great. For intercom use, the Chatterbox is fair to poor. Autocom is much better. Autocom has limited adjustments but is a much better system than Chatterbox to start with. The J&M is the best all around. The J&M will play music much better.

Hope this helps.

Manufacturer's site
http://www.jmcorp.com/

Dealer site
Overbyís Two Wheel Sound
Murray, KY 42071
ph. 800 992-4092

Http://www.twowheelsound.com
Ask for Robert.  He's very knowledgeable.

Btw, J&M is what the Goldwings and Harley's have as original equipment.  It's heavy duty. Also, Nolan and Aria will ship some of their gear with J&M equipment pre-installed.

<!--EDIT|MeltDownZ
Reason for Edit: None given...|1092426064 -->

Sorry, but I have to disagree with MeltDownZ on this one. If you go with the Chatterbox, get the GMRS-X1. It has a better range than the FRS models. I agree that it does tend to run the batteries down. I have ridden around 14 hours on a full battery though and I just keep both (it comes with 2) charged and with me all the time. I also bought the power cord that hooks to the bikes battery but I have never used it. The GMRS-X1 has a port to plug in the passenger's headset so you don't have to buy a second chatterbox for her. I have never tried the others but I did research on these things when I was looking for one and I decided the GMRS-X1 was the best bang-for-the buck. I know the cheaper Chatterbox units have a shorter range and I was told they do not work as well. MHO

Thanks for the info OK but I think I have decided against the Chatterbox's because I don't want any thing on the side of my helmet. I really looking at the Autocom's and still looking into the J&M's but have lots of questions about those. I frequently exceed 160 and would like to know how well the chatterbox will hold up to those speeds.

I have had mine to an indicated 190 ('99 model) with my chatterbox on the helmet and It's fine. It is a little hard to hear over 150 or so but you can turn it up louder. Of course I don't maintain those speeds for long so I just leave mine where it sounds comfortable and when I slow back down I can hear it fine. It does look a little odd hanging there on the side of the helmet but it starts a lot of conversations. People are always asking me "what's that?" It doesn't weigh enough to matter much and you get used to it quickly. It does look weird though. I picked this model because that's what others I ride with had and it was reasonably priced.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with MeltDownZ on this one. If you go with the Chatterbox, get the GMRS-X1. It has a better range than the FRS models. I agree that it does tend to run the batteries down. I have ridden around 14 hours on a full battery though and I just keep both (it comes with 2) charged and with me all the time. I also bought the power cord that hooks to the bikes battery but I have never used it. The GMRS-X1 has a port to plug in the passenger's headset so you don't have to buy a second chatterbox for her. I have never tried the others but I did research on these things when I was looking for one and I decided the GMRS-X1 was the best bang-for-the buck. I know the cheaper Chatterbox units have a shorter range and I was told they do not work as well. MHO
I actually tried all the Chatterbox units. From practical experience, the GMRS units can also create distortion/feedback on the receiving units if everyone is in a tight group. I never got 14 hours out of mine. I was lucky to get half that time. Plus, I never really got the good transmissions much past visual distance with either the FMRS or the GMRS. Just another view on this.

Thanks for the info OK but I think I have decided against the Chatterbox's because I don't want any thing on the side of my helmet. I really looking at the Autocom's and still looking into the J&M's but have lots of questions about those. I frequently exceed 160 and would like to know how well the chatterbox will hold up to those speeds.
Generally speaking, the units are more difficult to use at those speeds. The ambient noise is so loud that the speakers are hard to hear and the Vox is virtually useless.

Also, you do not need to have the Chatterbox on your helmet. You can mount it to your handlebars and run the cord to your helmet just like the other units.

Back