Gen I Hayabusa - Stage One "Sleeper"

Hayabusa=Mistress

Registered
Hey, I have a 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa with only slip-on Yoshimura pipes for a performance modification. I was looking to get a K&N air-filter, but decided to get a turbo instead. :rofl:

Anyways, my goal is to have what some people call a "sleeper." I only want a stage one kit that is designed to work in harmony with the stock motor, run on pump gasoline, and not have overheating problems (intercooler worth it for stage one?). I don't want to do too much with the motor, if anything at all. More of a direct bolt-on with the major of the complexity coming in with the tuning.

I was reading up on some information and have heard some good things about the RCC turbo for a stage one kit. What are your experiences?

This is my first time dealing with any heavy modifications (I will do the install by myself - does it come with excellent directions? - would there be a lot of hard custom work that doesn't fit the term "bolt-on?" - does the kit really come with everything I need?). The only thing that I will not do is the tune portion (with a Power Commander - will perform at local motorcycle dyno shop).

Do you guys have any tips? I will also not get an extended swingarm. With this in mind, how would a stage one turbo affect rideability (ie: roll-on's in 6th, etc.)?

Again, my intention is to get a "sleeper" and only a stage one kit making somewhere in the 250hp or less category and low psi. Will this be alright for everyday usage? What might be some problems that I would encounter?

Any input would greatly be appreciated!!! :thumbsup:

PS: Is it possible to still use dual mufflers with a turbo set-up? I've never seen it myself, so I am curious.

Here are some photos of my 2005 Hayabusa. With the stage one turbo kit installed, would the only cosmetic thing that would give away the "sleeper" look the dump pipes and turbo air filter sticking out from the bottom left fairing?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

i know if you know someone who does exhaust work you could have it made so the exhaust will still go to dual but that could be pricey. Their air filter im pretty sure you couldnt get around... I looked into a stage one and seemed pretty much just bolt on and not to much work but I havent gotten a stage 1 myself...yet....

Yeah, I was told that because a turbo sucks in more air quicker, it needs to be able to force more air out quicker (in a sense), that's why dump pipes are effective?*

But I like the dual exhaust look. ;)

*I was told by a motorcycle mechanic at a reputable shop. Just saying. lol

hmmm. i know RCC i think sells single exhaust as an option for their turbos but im sure the dumb pipes are effective no doubt. I dont know a whole lot about that though so i cant say. I know theres a handful of stage one guys on here im sure

Hey, can you buy the stage one kit and have me practice installing on yours before I do it on mine? So that if I make mistakes, I'd know not to do it on mine. ;)

hahaha yeah sure... i really dont think its that hard. i believe megawatt had a stage one for a while Im sure he would know. hmmmmm

i think a turbo is just a dream for me. I want it but theres so much more i could do wit 4 grand and i really dont need to make the busa faster... but i just love the sound of a turbo...

Stage-one at 8spi....240HP...bolt on yes but I recommend studding the head!
Daul exhaust ...is yours a full kit now or just slip on? it could be worked easly if aftermarket full system duals. The filter...they make slim line filters that stay IN the fairing but pinch down air intake.
Intercooler for a stage-1 dont bother with it for what your planning.

Last edited:
Daul exhaust ...is yours a full kit now or just slip on? it could be worked easly if aftermarket full system duals. The filter...they make slim line filters that stay IN the fairing but pinch down air intake.

Hes just got yoshi slipons. Yoshi doesnt make a dual header.. i wish they did

RCC stage 1 kit has small air filter included that fits inside the body work. Save yourself the headache on the pipe and just include the RCC pipe in smithabusas pic above when you order the kit (upgrade), compared to trying to fab up a dual pipe to connect to the turbo header or having a dump pipe.

Yes, its a bolt on kit you can do in your garage. My engine had 11k trackday, dragstrip, daily driver, touring bike miles, etc on it and I just bolted on the kit, trailered it to the dyno shop had had fun on 6 psi. Only six psi due to 91 octane and desert heat in the Summer time, and 11k miles on motor.

You don't "need" spacer, studs, BOV or an intercooler, yes they help but then you may be talking about more work than just bolt on with simple tools. RCC sells the kit as a bolt on so just bolt it on after spending some time talking to RCC.

range005.jpg

range001.jpg

range006.jpg

So even for everyday commuting, it would be alright without an intercooler? I just want to make sure it won't overheat. What are my limitations without an intercooler (ie: no five mile stretch with full throttle, etc.)? Water-injection...???

RCC stage 1 kit has small air filter included that fits inside the body work. Save yourself the headache on the pipe and just include the RCC pipe in smithabusas pic above when you order the kit (upgrade), compared to trying to fab up a dual pipe to connect to the turbo header or having a dump pipe.

Yes, its a bolt on kit you can do in your garage. My engine had 11k trackday, dragstrip, daily driver, touring bike miles, etc on it and I just bolted on the kit, trailered it to the dyno shop had had fun on 6 psi. Only six psi due to 91 octane and desert heat in the Summer time, and 11k miles on motor.

You don't "need" spacer, studs, BOV or an intercooler, yes they help but then you may be talking about more work than just bolt on with simple tools. RCC sells the kit as a bolt on so just bolt it on after spending some time talking to RCC.

So all in all, the RCC stage one kit is designed to be able to bolt-on and be used right away for everyday riding (after a tune of course)? I just want to make sure. lol

If so, I can make more power with the turbo kit for $4200, approx $300 for Power Commander, and approx $300-$500 for tune? No "NEEDED" extras to run without issues/to be effective? :please:

Oh and I like the dual-exhaust look. I might try and see if this guy I know who specializes in exhaust fabrication to design me one using the yoshi pipes I currently have. What do you think about that? I would have to have larger diameter pipes and would having the yoshi pipes bog down on the Turbo power - even after tune?

Oh, how much would that cost and what does it take?

Boost by smith carries that harness you need for you bike its like 20 bucks. Then find a shop that will do an ecu tune. if you ask, he can recommend a shop close to you im sure

Im sure the tune is around 300-400 bucks like any other tune

Last edited:
If you put exh cans on you might want to consider taking the packing out of them..see what others say too

Back