Full gear, this needs to be said.

Lota Fun R

Registered
I got in a wreck in sep 04, was wearing tennis shoes because I'd been in my boots all day and wanted to relax. My left foot was allready messed up from a accident in 92. Long story short, the tennis shoes ejected off my feet and I'll never be the same again, destroyed my feet/heels/ankles, not to mention the broken neck, the broken back, hip, femur, knee. Haven't worked since, going back to school for engineering, I was a Journeyman sheetmetal mech., could have retired in the trade.

They wanted to amputate my left foot but I wouldn't let em, couldn't shift with a prostetic if they did take it.

@ a min, wear boots, gloves and helmet.

That is all, carry on.

The accident was not my fault. A fellow rider helped. Not interested in elaborating any more than that. It's in the past.

I hear you...

Heard about a terrible wreck you were in over at LABS. Didn't know it was that bad.

Good to know you're still whole and recovering.

Thanks. The encouragement of fellow riders has helped more than I can express!

Just a short visit to a person in the hospital means way more to them the patient than it does to you the visitor.

2&1/2 months in the hospital, 9 months in a wheel chair.

I'm very greatfull for all that I have and can do.

In short/long, always wear boots, always.

u need good gear my daughther just crashed on a rider training day had good full face gloves fabric jacket and dress leathers the helmet looked like a grinder had attacked it even on the visor her gloves had all the nuckleprotectors ground off jacket torn and worst were her knees had two holes in them full of gravel her boots were ok
shes heeled now and now has only the best of gear 2 piece leather suit better gloves another new shoei helmet and of course a new bike gsxr100 her vtr 1000 honda written off i now have proper gear with armour and wont ride with out it good post

gear seems like one of those things that people have to "Learn by doing" in other words CRASH to "learn the lesson". that is one of the stupidest philosophies I have recognized in western civilization.... it's some kind of pride thing, but it is SO PAINFUL , and SO MUCH easier to learn from someone ELSE's mistakes, I don't know why everyone doesn't do that? Shouldn't we LEARN from HISTORY? NOPE! I'LL FIGURE IT OUT MYSELF, CUZ I'M A MAN! Or some dumb crap.

Yes, gear is expensive, but isn't your bike? Is your LIFE worth that much less? If I was a gazillionare, I'd buy everyone some great fitting full gear

Good post. I'm ordering some boots!
wink.gif

I'm pretty good about wearing my gear, but occasionally slack off. I have to remind myself that bad things can happen at any time. I also heard of your fall on LABs, and it's good to hear you are recovering.

Sorry about your accident
sad.gif
, but I agree, you said enough about not using gear and the outcome if you don't  
coffee.gif

I hear ya, occassionaly I will ride without a helmet.. around the block to the folks house or over to my Brothers house, well even down to a friends place for a espresso or two. But when riding onto the main streets or an extended ride to the mountians... full gear all the time.

I've posted this before about my friend that nearly tore his foot off. The thing that really changed everything for me was that an off duty paramedic was there helping my friend and he asked me to hold my friends foot so it wouldn't dangle. That's right, dangle. I could see inside his ankle and all the bones. It's not a sight I will ever forget.

If he had a good pair of boots this might not have happened. We all take gear for granted and how it can keep some things from being worse than it could be.

Just to add a note about gear. In my experience, gear is good, leather is definately your friend but ARMOR is your saviour! In my low side a few years back I had all leather but no armor. Slid on my right knee about 30' with the bike on top and after three knee surgeries including a skin graft, and many hours of PT, I learned the hard way that armor is what I needed. My leather did its job, seriously scratched up but didn't burn through, no rash at all, but w/o armor my knee took a real beating.

Can't agree more...

Wear boots...

I posted about my foot being driven over by a cager a while ago. Lucky I was wearing boots..

Thanks for the post ... these are my estimated percentages ... I have to do better.

I wear helmet 100% of the time
I wear boots 90% of the time
I wear jacket 99% of the time
I wear leather pants 10% of the time
I wear reinforced riding pants 80% of the time

Glad your recovering from your accident, thanks for sharing your story to the rest of us. I know when you see someone riding with improper gear it makes you cringe. I am one of the guilty ones when it comes to riding without all of my gear on, I always wear a helmet and gloves, and most of the time a jacket. I'm usually in tennis shoes, but after reading yours and others stories, I realize its time to invest in a good pair of boots and leather riding pants. We've become way to complacent in the way we ride, always thinking it can't happen to me, but in the blink of an eye it can, and does. Thanks again for your unselfishness in sharing your story, and waking some of us up. Me for one. God bless, your a strong individual.

for the past 3 years i have never left the house without my full suit and boots and helmet. people always thing i am kinda crazy as i live in miami florida. everyone take care of your self as you only life once. good luck and i hope you recover

I have a pair of workboots that come over the ankle with a steel toe. Similar to redwing style. Is that enough boot or do I need a boot that comes even higher. It doesn't come up high enough to cover the lower part of my leather pants.

Back