Feeding time for the ball python

Hey Chris, is that a Red Tail Boa ? I wanted one of those so bad, but I was told they like to bite ? I always wanted an African Rock Python, but was told they REALLY like to bite ? I did hear that if you don't feed them in their cage it cuts down on the bitting.

Last edited:
columbians are about the most docile i have ever handled. just remember they do get to be 9-15 ft... so keep that in mind as they grow. but was always a managable size for us. and yes... always feed outside of thier habitat...recognize thier "intrest in feeding" signs... approach from behind thier head and pick them up. at that point they realize you are not food and return to "hey i want to climb" mode.

HAHAHAHA Cap, no shovel. We also have an African Gray, 2 cats, 3 dogs and 2 horses.

The snakes are the easiest to take care of and the cheapest to maintain as well.

Don

MY oldest son has a Dumeril's boa that I some times help him with. She's about 10 years old and 6' long now. He plans on moving out soon and will be taking her with him.

Diana has an African Grey (Congo) and I have a Red Fronted Macaw. My youngest son has an Alexandrine Parakeet.

I have a few dogs and cats. I try to kill all the snakes I see. Im with you Cap, but bullets work better, you dont haft to get as close. Sorry guys. :)

Blanca,
If it makes you feel any better, I buy the mice dead and frozen and thaw them for the snakes. That one was a medium rat. If you think that snake is fast, watch the video of the albino columbian red tailed boa. She is fast.

Don

shows how much i know...i thought they wouldn't eat something already dead, they had to squeeze and kill it themselves:whistle: or maybe its too many anaconda movies; if u feed em dead animals when do they practice the "squeeze" technique? thanks for the lesson

Last edited:
Me and my neighbor were arguing over a snake in our yards one day.

The arguement was over who's gun we should use to shoot it. Darn thing took 5-9mm slugs and still striking.

QUOTE=chrisjp;2492099]we never feed them in thier cages...always pull them to a feeder tote. that way they dont associate us reaching our hands in to play with them as food. once in a while if they really hungry they strike...but worst they can do is a papercut...i get worse at work...and they release soon as they realize its you.[/QUOTE]
play with them ??? Im thinking boots!!!

shows how much i know...i thought they wouldn't eat something already dead, they had to squeeze and kill it themselves:whistle: or maybe its too many anaconda movies; if u feed em dead animals when do they practice the "squeeze" technique? thanks for the lesson

They don't realize the food isn't dead. They strike, wrap and squeeze just as if there dinner was alive.

Don

Back