Fastest production bike?

Speed King

Banned
Is the hayabusa still the fastest production bike?

Someone told me that BMW now has the fastest production bike.

The busa is still noted as the fastest production street bike due to laws that govern street driven motorcycle speeds when produced in a factory.

In 1999 after Suzuki built the Haybusa they broke the mold. They created the worlds fastest production street bike. Shortly after, Suzuki and several other companies saw how fast this thing was and agreed to make speed restriction laws for future production street bikes. When the speed restrictions were implied on all street bikes leaving a factory they were all governed at 186MPH. Leaving the 1999 Suzuki Haybusa as the worlds fastest production street bike.

Smart move from Suzuki if you ask me. They can keep the title and record no matter how fast bikes get, they are still governed. Once the governor is removed or bypassed it is no longer considered production it is now modified, and yes many bikes can beat the busa if they have their speed limiters removed but the title "Fastest Production" still holds true.

Last edited:
I do beleive that BMW now has the fastest production bike. One can say that the Hayabusa is the fastest production bike but this is only if were talking about the 1999 - 2000 models.

So if your asking in 2010 bikes is the Hayabusa the fastest Im afraid the answer may be No.

I do beleive that BMW now has the fastest production bike. One can say that the Hayabusa is the fastest production bike but this is only if were talking about the 1999 - 2000 models.

So if your asking in 2010 bikes is the Hayabusa the fastest Im afraid the answer may be No.

I believe scrappy is correct, due to European govt's implied ban on the import of sportbikes as speed was just getting insane, manufacturers silently agreed to govern the top speed of machines coming from the factory (@ 186 mph), although all can be modified to surpass the 186, they are not considered production models once "moded" so the Busa is the king from a purely "production floor to asphalt" standpoint at I believe 194(?)mph.

BTW, which BMW are you referring to?

Last edited:
If i am not mistaken way back in 1998 or so when they were doing speed testing..Prolly a very very small Japanese fellow... Suzuki claimed 197 !!!!!!! I wonder if it had stock gearing though... amazing
Ps .. a speed limit of 186 seems pretty good in our day and age.....glad it was not 86 mph hahahaha.

Last edited:
BTW, which BMW are you referring to?

S1000RR

- ‪Speed test: S1000RR v RSV4 v Hayabusa v ZZ-R1400‬‎[/url]

Trust me, There is still no way Im trading in my Busa

Last edited by a moderator:
"Fastest" is very situational. Top speed? Factory unrestricted Busa. 0-60? 0-100? First through the twisties? Rider dependent.

All-around most enjoyable? Most here will probably vote Busa.

I know for sure my Busa is capable of more than I am!

Huh? They are all governed to 300 kph. The 196 mph is the record that will always stand until this restriction is removed. Busa is King.

S1000RR

- ‪Speed test: S1000RR v RSV4 v Hayabusa v ZZ-R1400‬‎[/url]

Trust me, There is still no way Im trading in my Busa

It did sound like announcer says the bmw is the fastest as tested but the speedos only went to 180 with the digital readout on the last test bike hitting 186, Busa as produced in '99 hit the 196 mark.... It must be a test of the current restricted models?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't remember ever reading a stock busa hit 196mph (please provide link).

Also, the 300km 186 mph restriction was agreed upon by the big 4 (Japanese).

Don't ever remember reading where anybody else, including BMW ever agreed.

Hence I think the BMW is now the king of speed.

But yet again at the risk of flogging a seriously flogged and dead horse (by me)
we wouldn't/shouldn't be having YET ANOTHER ONE OF THESE DISCUSSIONS
HAD ZUK GIVEN THE GEN II A REAL UPDATE.

We are up 340cc and still get beat (or even close) proves my point.

We already had the liters and the 14 on our butt or ahead and after a decade
Zuk used the same case (TO SAVE BUCKS), raised the compression and just
made the stroke longer...hence +7 hp....yea:cheerleader:...not.

Shoulda been 1400 to 1500cc, 200rwhp...dump the stupid "A,B,C" mode and
install traction control...and this thread would never exist.

Last edited:

But yet again at the risk of flogging a seriously flogged and dead horse (by me)

Couldnt agree more.

Quick and fast are different things.
0-60?
0-100?
top speed?
1/4 mile?
Thrown out of a plane?

Need to be very specific about these things:whistle:

You are correct, to get to the governed speed of 186MPH the busa shows its age and another need to refine the bike.

However, what is fun to read is the frame integrity diagnostics that BMW did to figure out how much power they can put to the ground without breaking the frame. In making the bike lighter they had to cut weight somewhere. So if you ever plan on adding more ponies that S100RR don't be surprised when the frame fails under stress... at least that is what i read. the frame on the S1000RR will not be able to take more power or aerodynamic stress than what BMW has given you.

So i will stick with my gen 1 busa, which in its heritage has seen as much as 702HP ( Great Falls Montana! My home state!) and still is able to set LSR records... of course its modified, but thats the nice thing about this bike.. all the options to go from show bike to mean LSR record setting bad @$$ to dyno king of the world.. all this from a "not first to 186mph" production bike.

Last edited:

As I remember, back in 1999 one of the mags did a legitimate test and had the Busa at 196 mph. What mag it was has escaped my memory over the years.

The MCN test is worthless as the bikes are restricted.....funny how they didn't mention that tiny little detail isn't it?:moon:

Yep the gen2 busa was outdated as soon as it was released :banghead: The 08 zx10 was spanking it from 0-180, and the 14 was fastest in top speed. Now the BMW is doing the same, but also spanking it in top speed AND on the dragstrip as well. I think the days of the big bikes being kings of anything are over.....

Yep the gen2 busa was outdated as soon as it was released :banghead: The 08 zx10 was spanking it from 0-180, and the 14 was fastest in top speed. Now the BMW is doing the same, but also spanking it in top speed AND on the dragstrip as well. I think the days of the big bikes being kings of anything are over.....

That's the irratating thing to me, it ceratainly doesn't have to be. As the liters
are stuck at 1000cc...the Busa and it's class are not, sky's the limit.

Part 2 (which is even more irratation) is Suzuki's business model which has
shifted IHMO away from building the best bikes into STRICKTLY MONEY ONLY.
Now I want Suzuki to sucessful as the next guy, but not at the cost of a
warmed over once a decade update for the Busa faithful...or the rest of their
line for that matter.

When was the last time Suzuki put up a new model (or updated) that people
really sat up and took note. Build the better mousetrap and sales and profit
will take care of themselves.

I noted recently in my last two monthly mags Cycleworld and Motorcyclist...
both ran top 10 bikes of the year...so we're looking at 20 slots PLUS Honorable Mentions...
Suzuki was not uttered ONCE ANYWHERE.

Anyway...wouldn't surprise me to see BMW's six cylinder in an new hypertourer
with traction, etc. I'd love to see it crack 200mph out of the box. Might wake
up the Zuk kool-aid drinkers into just how stagnant and inept Suzuki has become.

Wake up guys, Bold New Graphics year after year...just don't get it anymore...
THEY NEVER DID!

wow..lotsa talk here...and not much of it rings true to what i remember following in the rags back when it went down..what was billed as..

"The Official End Of The Speed Wars"

back in 2000...the last year you could purchase a derestricted busa..and what i recall reading?..went something like this..

Kaw was threatening to up the anty on Zuks mighty busa by unleashing their Raptor...a ninja garenteed to deliver 200+mph outta the box..and the Euros went nuts and threatened Kaw that they would BAN IMPORTATION of any such critters capable of doing anything over 300KPH...(which is the equivilent of 186mph U.S.) and is when the U.S. jumped on the speed war band wagon by following suit and stating the same..in support of the euros 300kph limitation.

now to me?..this al sorta sux since it was the euros that initiated this threat of banning fast bikes yet now BMW makes what?.....wtf?... ???

it's like the whole thing was aimed at beemer sandbaggin the japs...which is also why even though i'd love to buy a BMW GT1300...i'll NEVER buy a bmw..i aint givin them sand baggin biotches one red cent...ever.

sorry..jmho and stance on the matter and L8R, Bill. :cool:

Jinks I think your right but maybe were reading too much into it. Bottom line is that bmw has just come out with a fantastic bike. The bikes always get more horsepower as the years go by and there doing it without upping the cc's. Funny thing is I think they just retired the old saying... "theres no replacement for displacement"....

Back