Fairing Screens??

Great advise on these grills, how about for us lazy folks, does any company sell them premolded?

Great advise on these grills, how about for us lazy folks, does any company sell them premolded?
I don't know of any companies that do, but there are some members on here that may have spare fairings they use to mold screens...

To be honest, it wasn't too big of a project to undertake on your own though...if I can do it, anyone can!
smile.gif
Good luck...

I don't know of any companies that do, but there are some members on here that may have spare fairings they use to mold screens...

To be honest, it wasn't too big of a project to undertake on your own though...if I can do it, anyone can!  
smile.gif
 Good luck...
And a job well done...
smile.gif

seen them first hand.....

smile.gif

I think these fairing grills look awesome, it's a project to think about. A will do for the near future.

smile.gif
 Good luck...
And a job well done...  
smile.gif

seen them first hand.....
Awww...shucks! Thanks!
smile.gif

I did the screens because I hated seeing the hoses on the clutch side, plus I think they really add to the bike without taking from my wallet!
tounge.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif

Clarkcustom on ebay. When I bought mine from him I think they were about $40. I think he may have gone up. They fit perfectly. And btw guys, I used 2 part putty epoxy. Takes about 3 minutes to mix and work then roll into little strips, put the screen in, mash the putty thru the screen onto the fairing, hold for about 45 seconds. Do the first fairing, then by the time you are finished with the second one the first one is ready to be reinstalled.

I would kinda wonder though USN04 if a rigid epoxy will hold up better than a more flexible bond? High temp Silicone etc.

I am just thinking here, I don't know, but I would guess that something a little more elastic would hold up better over time than a rigid hard set epoxy. Though Epoxy would create a much stronger bond...

Thoughts?

And thanks for the Ebay tip man... Perfect for lazy bastids like me...

Rev,
 Good point, mine has about 3000 hard miles on it since the screens with no probs.  I have had them on and off several times, LEDS, maintenance, shift light, etc.  I check the bonds everytime I have them off.  No signs of of probs at all, but I will let you know.  BTW, the guy on ebay recommends a 2 part liquid epoxy tried that, HUGE] mess and PITA.

Peace
Don

PS. These things look awesome and the '04 Limited <span style='color:crimson'>Red</span>

<!--EDIT|usn04limited
Reason for Edit: None given...|1097780281 -->

I also used the Quick Dry stick epoxy. Liquid simply wasn't cutting it. I ordered my screens from ebay. They were pre-cut (note: not molded). But, if I had to do it all over again I would get the screens from Auto Zone or Discount Auto Parts and buy a wire cutter and do it myself. Why? The material of the precut screens that I got from ebay was really thin and fragile. I did my wife's bike with the screens from Discount Auto Parts and not only was the screen easier to bend and shape, but it was also cheaper than what I paid on ebay. And they look twice as good. It looked so good that I had some left over and I used the left over for my tail section.

And yeah, I concur, this ain't a 1 hr job. There is also some foam like padding on the two side fairing that you will want to carefully peal back, so you can just place it back over the installed screen (I think this is cushion to cut down on the heat emitted from the bike, so I didn't want to remove).

The best thing about using the stick epoxy is the ease of use. Makes installation 10 times easier. Also makes molding easier because you can pretty much set one edge, then bend others in place until you have all 4 edges glued. I used about a once inch piece of epoxy for each edge. Although since I just did it about 200 miles ago, I am not sure about the long term durability of the hard epoxy. I know heat won't be a problem, but maybe over time vibration could get to it.

Hope this helps.

Took me about 4 hours with limited interruptions from kids...if you go too fast, you'll regret it!

Advice I got from mctrull...push the screens out a bit. I like the look...

screens2.JPG

Clarkcustom on ebay.  When I bought mine from him I think they were about $40. I think he may have gone up.  They fit perfectly.  And btw guys, I used 2 part putty epoxy.  Takes about 3 minutes to mix and work then roll into little strips, put the screen in, mash the putty thru the screen onto the fairing, hold for about 45 seconds.  Do the first fairing, then by the time you are finished with the second one the first one is ready to be reinstalled.
I used same one.save time and grip,buy the preformed
screen from ebay.
smile.gif

thinking about ordering some from clarkcustom to. they are still $40.00 for the regular and they sell chrome ones for people who like the shiny stuff for about $80.00 i think off ebay. i first saw them on this website. there is some other stuff on there to that i might do to my bike.

Contact this gal named Hope she makes excellent kits ready to go everything pre-cut with excellent instructions. She sells the kit for 20 bucks. She makes the kit for Busa's, TL1000 and Gixers. Here is her email:

hm1971@hotmail.com

You will be happy.

I looked all afternoon for the screens . I went to homedepot , advanced auto parts . where can I get thie screens and how much do they really cost ? They had some sheets of screens at homedepot but it had tar paper on one side and was really ridged and felt like it had edges in the design .

Other than looks any reason to do this? I useally only like to add something to my bike if it's needed. Just have not heard of that mod, looks nice.

gutter screen works great my buddies has had it on his bike for over a year and he used silicone to hold it on.

Back