EV vehicles

In my opinion, the invent of air craft, automobiles were less inhibited in their infancy, resources and funding were more abundant, over the past century plus, we as a race have expended quite a bit of the resources required to get ourselves equipped to support mainstream EV use. There will be a requirement of huge amounts of copper for all aspects of EV implementation as well as a large petroleum resource......I've noted most EVs I have encountered use a lot of plastics in order to save weight.

To add to this, humans have changed our living conditions, we no longer all live in close confines to where we are employed and the daily commute to work has become frankly problematic as our hiways are full of people going back and forth to places of employment.....some people have over an hour commute one way to work each day. The invention of the subdivision has changed how we live and our dependency on automobiles.

I believe a change in how we live and work will be the most significant thing for the future....we need to get less vehicles on the roads and less people travelling......I also believe this will never happen in the scale which will be effective.

When we have people driving to an airport, flying to a port, boarding a cruise ship in a round trip scenario, the carbon footprint of such a trip is vast.....not a second thought is given to this frivolity.....

What is being overlooked are the billions of people who live outside the western realm, these billions of people are operating vehicles which are highly pollutant with no emission controls and for the most part are either 2 stroke or dirty diesel........instead governments of the west are clinging to their EV concept which is no greener than ICE (in my opinion) and ignoring the largest polluters of not only the air, but the ground and water.

Something has to be done to change the way we live as a race and how we move ourselves around the planet.....to me EV is the equivalent to ICE, not an improvement or the green choice as it is currently being touted.
There are many places in Europe where life is very different to what you describe. 60% + people don’t have cars, work, shopping is within walking distance and leisure is easily accomplished with public transport. New York City is close to the same.

There are many places in Europe where life is very different to what you describe. 60% + people don’t have cars, work, shopping is within walking distance and leisure is easily accomplished with public transport. New York City is close to the same.
I personally don't believe the current way of thinking/living/working will ever change in North America due to the vastness of the countries here.

Nor do I think countries in Africa and south west Asia will ever change...nor will they ever adapt to an EV based transportation system....

India and Pakistan (and many others) have very fragile and unreliable power grids and could never support EV without trillions upon trillions of dollars being spent.

I personally don't believe the current way of thinking/living/working will ever change in North America due to the vastness of the countries here.

Nor do I think countries in Africa and south west Asia will ever change...nor will they ever adapt to an EV based transportation system....

India and Pakistan (and many others) have very fragile and unreliable power grids and could never support EV without trillions upon trillions of dollars being spent.
“Ever” is a long time. We have seen exponential changes over the past 100 years. I believe to think the current way of living in North America 100 years from now won’t change is a bit naive.

“Ever” is a long time. We have seen exponential changes over the past 100 years. I believe to think the current way of living in North America 100 years from now won’t change is a bit naive.
Perhaps but 100 years ago North America was largely uninhabited....and progress had to be rapidly made in order to settle it...

Such is not the case any more and if the current green oriented administration gets voted out, it could all change in a hurry...

I agree that "ever" is an overreach on my behalf.

Perhaps but 100 years ago North America was largely uninhabited....and progress had to be rapidly made in order to settle it...

Such is not the case any more and if the current green oriented administration gets voted out, it could all change in a hurry...

I agree that "ever" is an overreach on my behalf.
How does Uber work in your part of the world?

I have never used it stateside, but my last two visits to South Africa, pickup from the hotel was within 2 minutes of using the app on my phone, and the destination was out in the country. From there back to the hotel was a 10 minute wait for pickup. To the airport another 2 minute pickup. To the airport was cheaper than going by train and a whole lot more convenient. In US currency, the trip from hotel to the airport, about 18 miles cost me a whole $6.50.

How does Uber work in your part of the world?

I have never used it stateside, but my last two visits to South Africa, pickup from the hotel was within 2 minutes of using the app on my phone, and the destination was out in the country. From there back to the hotel was a 10 minute wait for pickup. To the airport another 2 minute pickup. To the airport was cheaper than going by train and a whole lot more convenient. In US currency, the trip from hotel to the airport, about 18 miles cost me a whole $6.50.
I live near a very small city....we still have a regular taxi service here....but in the larger cities there are many Uber and ride shares.

I personally don't get the Uber thing, a person uses their privately owned car to pick up sometimes questionable people in questionable areas and wonder why either they get robbed or their car gets trashed......I don't know how their insurance companies don't double their rates for wear and tear and potential theft, destruction....

There are countless videos in You Tube where Uber and ride share vehicles and owners get trashed, robbed or stolen.

At least the taxi driver is protected by the silent partner...

I live near a very small city....we still have a regular taxi service here....but in the larger cities there are many Uber and ride shares.

I personally don't get the Uber thing, a person uses their privately owned car to pick up sometimes questionable people in questionable areas and wonder why either they get robbed or their car gets trashed......I don't know how their insurance companies don't double their rates for wear and tear and potential theft, destruction....

There are countless videos in You Tube where Uber and ride share vehicles and owners get trashed, robbed or stolen.

At least the taxi driver is protected by the silent partner...
You need a profile on Uber, with your personal details, before you can use the app.

You rate the driver and the driver rates you.

In NY, it has gone as far as when you apply for a job, the employer looks at your Uber rating and if it is not good, (meaning you don't tip and treat the Uber drivers well) it will count against you candidacy as a job applicant. You may not get hired. Also, when you enter the ride on your phone, the driver seeing a bad rating, may decide to give it a miss.

Maybe 100 years from today, that is the model? Big organizations own EV hubs all over the place and travelling from point A to point B using the EV hub is cheaper than using own transport. Let's check back here on May 18th 2100.

On a more serious note, South Africa rates pretty high on the homicides per capita list in the world, around 6th, the last time I looked. The US heads towards 40th, so if it works that well in SA, there should be very few issues here.

You need a profile on Uber, with your personal details, before you can use the app.

You rate the driver and the driver rates you.

In NY, it has gone as far as when you apply for a job, the employer looks at your Uber rating and if it is not good, (meaning you don't tip and treat the Uber drivers well) it will count against you candidacy as a job applicant. You may not get hired. Also, when you enter the ride on your phone, the driver seeing a bad rating, may decide to give it a miss.

Maybe 100 years from today, that is the model? Big organizations own EV hubs all over the place and travelling from point A to point B using the EV hub is cheaper than using own transport. Let's check back here on May 18th 2100.

On a more serious note, South Africa rates pretty high on the homicides per capita list in the world, around 6th, the last time I looked. The US heads towards 40th, so if it works that well in SA, there should be very few issues here.
I think in the future only the very wealthy will own a vehicle and all the others will have to use either public transport of some sort whether it be in bulk form like a bus or train or private like a car...

Just like you alluded to, a person would have to order the vehicle and it could be a scheduled order each day or a casual order.

Each urban center will have "garages" where these vehicles are dispatched from and they could even be autonomous.

My friend who is a financial wizard and follows this world very closely says he can see these individual vehicles linking together on major expressways to form a sort of chain for aero and energy consumption with each link peeling off to it's destination. If a person travels from area to area, that conveyance will report to a garage for recharging after it drops off it's fare. All the garages will be interlinked and be able to accept all EV. People travelling can also be conducting business via satellite up links which would boost productivity while travelling.

This would eliminate private homes requiring garages, driveways and recharging stations thus cutting down on building costs/materials and petroleum for asphalt.

I think in the future only the very wealthy will own a vehicle and all the others will have to use either public transport of some sort whether it be in bulk form like a bus or train or private like a car...

Just like you alluded to, a person would have to order the vehicle and it could be a scheduled order each day or a casual order.

Each urban center will have "garages" where these vehicles are dispatched from and they could even be autonomous.

My friend who is a financial wizard and follows this world very closely says he can see these individual vehicles linking together on major expressways to form a sort of chain for aero and energy consumption with each link peeling off to it's destination. If a person travels from area to area, that conveyance will report to a garage for recharging after it drops off it's fare. All the garages will be interlinked and be able to accept all EV. People travelling can also be conducting business via satellite up links which would boost productivity while travelling.

This would eliminate private homes requiring garages, driveways and recharging stations thus cutting down on building costs/materials and petroleum for asphalt.
And there I was, thinking Bee believes the world won't change much 100 years from today.

If we look at the big picture, our generation doesn't really relate to vehicles of our parents generation and our kids don't generally relate to vehicles of our generation and their kids don't relate to vehicles now....really.....there are of course exceptions to this but the overall theory is sound.

There are few memorable (affordable) vehicles from today that will be memorable in a few years.

The days of the family piling in the family car and going for a Sunday drive and picnic is over and the main street cruise night on Friday and Saturday followed by some sort of 'hooliganism" "American Graffiti" style isn't happening very often any more.

So in essence, car culture is slowly winding down to start with.....there are many in this coming generation of teens that have no intention of getting a car license.

If we look at the big picture, our generation doesn't really relate to vehicles of our parents generation and our kids don't generally relate to vehicles of our generation and their kids don't relate to vehicles now....really.....there are of course exceptions to this but the overall theory is sound.

There are few memorable (affordable) vehicles from today that will be memorable in a few years.

The days of the family piling in the family car and going for a Sunday drive and picnic is over and the main street cruise night on Friday and Saturday followed by some sort of 'hooliganism" "American Graffiti" style isn't happening very often any more.

So in essence, car culture is slowly winding down to start with.....there are many in this coming generation of teens that have no intention of getting a car license.
In the not too distant future, and in extenince in some cities already, it's simply not practical to own a car. It's more economical to take like an Uber. And when they perfect driverless cars it will be even cheaper to simply order up a ride to take you somewhere.

And you can rent a car as needed when that doesn't work.

No parking cost, insurance cost, fuel or maintenance. We are becoming less "enchanted" with what a car means personally as a connection.

I used to be a complete freak about keeping my cars perfect. Then you get door dings, or somebody scuffs it.

You spend $$ to keep it pristine.

Nobody but you cares. Trade In value doesn't reflect your efforts. People don't respect nor care if you like to keep a car up nice.

So yeah, we simply aren't a car society like we were a generation ago.

I've noted most EVs I have encountered use a lot of plastics in order to save weight.
Not any more so than ICE vehicles. The transition from metals to plastics started in the late 70's, but it was later that bolts and screws were almost entirely replaced by clips and tabs. Cars as a whole slowly evolved into being snap together assemblies, not only as weight saving but ease of assembly as well.

Not any more so than ICE vehicles. The transition from metals to plastics started in the late 70's, but it was later that bolts and screws were almost entirely replaced by clips and tabs. Cars as a whole slowly evolved into being snap together assemblies, not only as weight saving but ease of assembly as well.
100% agree...I see EV as linear to ICE......

Down the road, as EV become more main stream, my other post will most likely become realty......I will be dust by then thankfully....

Growing up in Los Angeles, I have many great memories of cruising Van Nuys Blvd bumper to bumper on Wednesday nights. Drive ins on Friday and Saturday nights. I remember going for a drive just because it’s a nice day, or because it’s raining. That culture, while still there, is being replaced by virtual reality and social media. I’ve always been resistant to change, just slowly getting better at dealing with it.

I guess there is a reason why all high speed rail transport today runs on electricity.
Definately, the same reason we ditched kerosene for electricity to run our fridges, dispensed with Gas in lighting streets and homes. Electricity allows amazing advancements in living, as long as you have the oil and coal to build and maintain the systems.

US Power Grid May Become Unreliable This Summer, Watchdog Warns. A third of the country is facing an ‘elevated risk of blackouts’ soon, an industry expert said

Here is an amazing piece of technology, the Aqua Claudia in Rome. It's seen better days of course but once it was well maintained and a critical piece of the Empire's infrastructure. A lot of their roads still remain, due to the fact that they are made out of stones. What will our roads look like in 2000 years? In 100 years? They ran out of wealth and slaves, that was the problem.

aqua-claudia-rome-s.jpg

Last edited:
Well, Finally some good news. I wanted to get a decent LiFePO, LFP, battery or 3 for camping and whatnot but had been putting the buy off because "The Price". Well now they are selling for the equivalent of a sealed lead acid! au$120 for 12V 20Ah. It should have been obvious to me that that the wind down of demand in the EV sector the Li price would drop, which it was doing all the way up to the beginning of this year, but I hardly gave it a thought. These price reductions have finally made their way through the manufacturing and supply chains. They may drop further but I couldn't see how these batteries could get much cheaper. I'd consider one for the bikes too but they all have near new batteries so no need.

As is obvious lol, I'm no fan of the EV transition, as it's been advertised over the past Decade. But, this type of electric car I would seriously consider buying. I think the world is slowly waking up to reality.

Toyota RAV4 Prime

This the original 2021 version but aside from trim the current model is basically unchanged. I linked to it since it's more in-depth than later articles.
302 horsepower
reasonable road clearance
42 miles of EPA-rated electric-only driving
can sustain EV mode up to 84 mph.
3.3-kWh onboard charger (perfect for average home based solar systems that are 5kW)

It's got some downsides, like CVT and braking issues with the weight, but they are acceptable.

I've just read that an electric ride on toy that was charging in a living room burst into flames and by the time the lady was alerted to the fire, it was already out of control and she lost everything as a result but managed to save her child...

These, e-bikes and the like are a danger when inside a home but people are oblivious to this fact.

I even watch like a hawk when I charge the batteries for my RC EV....the charger is always hooked up to an interrupter power bar.

I've just read that an electric ride on toy that was charging in a living room burst into flames and by the time the lady was alerted to the fire, it was already out of control and she lost everything as a result but managed to save her child...

These, e-bikes and the like are a danger when inside a home but people are oblivious to this fact.

I even watch like a hawk when I charge the batteries for my RC EV....the charger is always hooked up to an interrupter power bar.
Aww come on Bee. You know that EV fires are fictitious hogwash.

Gosh what was it 6,000 times less likely than an ICE fire? Or was it 10,000?

Back