Dealer Screwed up

PandaNin

Donating Member
Registered
I felt like I got one of those monopoly chance cards, "Dealer screws up in your favor. Collect $200."

I've worked with this dealer for nearly 10 years now and they know me pretty well.

So, I get a coupon in the mail. 15% off labor 20% off parts

Hmmm, I need new skins and an oil change and plugs and the 7,500 mile service. Yeah, I have more money than time right now.

So, I take the beastie in on my cord-just-showing rear tire in the rain (very carefully) to be told, "Oh, the tire we said we had, we don't"

"HAHAHAHAHAHA, &%&#* off and get serious"

"No seriously, we don't have it"

To which I replied, "Dude, I'm not riding home on that tire. So give me the '07 Busa out there and I'm going home" Amazing how they found tires in the back.

So I go to pick it back up and I have my brand new Metzelers on front and back, new plugs, shiny new oil and everything adjusted nice and tight. Schweeet.

I get the bill, $600. "HAHAHAHAHAHA, &%&#* off and get serious" (He wasn't laughing at me this time)

So, I whip out ye ole coupon and say alrighty then, apply this.

Fortunately for me most people can't do math. So get this logic:

$600 - 15% = $510 (remember, 15% off was for labor only, not parts!)

to which I reply, "Ummm, I get 20% off parts"

"Oh yeah, hmmm, how do I do this?"

$134 (rear tire only?) - 20% = $107.20 more off
so, $510-107.20 = $402.80 final bill

I felt bad when he asked, "Does this look right?" so I just said, "Looks GOOD to me!" He rang up my card and I rode home a happy camper.

Please teach your children basic math skills.

Wouldn't it be more like $100 in your favor
rock.gif
Parts-20% Labor-15%...the total should have been about $500

Correct! The kid running the register screwed up.

(That's the point I was trying to make)

So now, go back, show them the mistake and pay them for what the total should have been. That'll make their heads spin.

"Wh-what? You came back to settle up? Thanks Mister."

eh?

People make mistakes in dealerships all the time, working in one for the last 12 years I have seen them all, well most of them.

My suggestion, go and talk to the Parts Manager, show him the mistake and you might just be susprised. The dealership needs to be aware of the situation, how many times a day could this happen?

I don't know ... if I knew the dealer for 10 years, and they took care of me, I'd go back and pay up. Heck, I'd do it now, 'cause my dealer's been pretty cool to me and it's only been 15 months.

But, on the other hand, you say they take care of you, but they couldn't find your tires ... hmmm ....

I've had things like this happen to me several times, not just with the bike. If I catch the mistake, I point it out so they can correct it. In my opinion, not doing so is stealing. Even if it was their mistake, you know you are taking something that doesn't belong to you.

Sounds like $80 worth of bad ju-ju - I'm not wishing any ill will on you, just my observation as a semi-superstitious person.

Last time I had used one of "those coupons", the deal was for one or the other.  I had to chose between 15% off labor, or 20% off parts.  I could not use it for both.

Just a new spin to the entire ordeal.

Todd

Ok, update as of today.

I don't like bad ju-ju so I called the owner of the shop.

I told him his coupon was not clear and that confused the beejezus out of the counter dude and he screwed up my charge. He undercharged me and since we've known each other so long, I couldn't keep a clean conscience and not fess up.

So we're settled and he's keeping the charge on his books. Only thing is I had to commit to buy my next set of tires there too
smile.gif

Happiness.

Back