CycleProtect GPS alarm/install pics

BigDiesel

Registered
I searched hi n low for the BEST alarm system I could find, listened to input/feedback from friends and their experiences, and after talking for nearly 30 min. with the CEO of Cycleprotect, I knew which system I wanted to have.

This system is more expensive than your avg. Scorpion/Gorilla/Viper setup, but it offers something NO OTHER SYSTEM has (that I've seen): Real-time GPS tracking of your bike! any time, any day, anywhere in the US w/decent cellular service, you can get a location on your bike from any internet-capable device....and IF some jerk-off steals your bike, you get INSTANT notification-via cell-phone text messages and email msgs. for more info, got to Cyceprotect.com

The website explains all the inner workings of the system, so I will simply go over the installation on my Busa here with pics n step-by-step instructions.

First things first-remove your seat, rear seat or hump, and the entire tailsection; if you have an aftermarket undertail (as I do) you will need to either remove or lay onto your rear tire while you do the installation.

Make sure your Cycleprotect box contains all the necessary items:
1) Liberator Alarm system
2) GPS antenna
3) Battery Back-up unit
4) Shock Sensor Unit
5) Velcro and Zip-tie attachments, wire clip-on splice

BEFORE YOU INSTALL THIS ALARM:
you have to register your unit at the website address you will recieve with your unit-once you are registered, you will recieve access to the installation manual and user's manual. I recommend you download so you can view them later if nec.

The manual will explain how to activate the unit once it is installed and you have power sent to the unit.

I recommend doing a test-fit for where you want to install all the parts- decide where to put the alarm, battery, shock sensor and antenna...if you are cramped for space in the rear of your bike, you may want to mount the antenna up front under the nosepiece-there is plenty of room around the ramair intakes or up above headlights-I chose to mount everything in the tailsection, but out of the way of prying eyes (and screwdrivers and wirecutters-so would-be thieves beware: by the time you find which wires to cut and can cut them-I'll have a .50 cal D-Eagle upside yo fuggin head!)

to test the unit for power and connectivity, attach wires for power/grnd off the Alarm, then another wire to the brakelight power wire. Then simply position GPS antenna and start bike.....you will receive a msg. w/in 2-3min. showing status of alarm-if not, go back n check your wires n start again.

AlarmSystem_002.jpg

NOTE: dont use the brake's "brake light" power wire-you have to use the wire that ALWAYS recieves power-or else the system thinks its' "armed" every time you let off the brakes
all_coholic.gif

(dont ask how I figured THAT out)
guns.gif

here I have the alarm zip-tied to the side of the tail just for reference-I ended up mounting mine somewhere else. (and Im not telling anybody where-but you can get creative if you have time, skill, and a Dremel)
beerchug.gif

Also you can see the GPS antenna (which has a magnet on back) sitn on the rear screw which holds the undertail tray on, and the Touch/Shock sensor sitn in the tail. I did not show the back-up battery because again-I dont want anyone knowing where I mounted these items. The lines r long enuf to allow you alot of options, but if you are really crafty you can put everything out of view/reach with a few "choice cuts" to the tail to route wires where nobody can access them without removing your ENTIRE tailsection FIRST.

Once you have everything mounted and you start recieving msgs, you can close the booty up and put her back together, and rest with the ease of knowing EXACTLY where your pride and joy is at all times.

The only downside to this is:if your wife/GF ever figures out your login password to the Cycleprotect site-she can tell everywhere the bikes goes-there is a "tracking" function on the site that allows you to view all the location hits within a user-specified timeframe, called a "snail tail"-great if you're trying to track where some scum-bag took your ride....not so great if the ball-n-chain wants to know why you're late gettin home for dinner!
(unless you have a church right next to your favorite bar.....the sat. view is accurate within 20' -you can kiss that aliby goodbye, fellas)

AlarmSystem_009.jpg

very few pieces to install here-and very easy to do with minmal tech. background (c'mon, if I can do it....
all_coholic.gif
)

AlarmSystem_003.jpg

here is a view of the map/satellite feature on the tracking site- you can choose from a reg. map view of your bike's location, or a sat. view which shows the actual surroundings. both offer zoom features which work well, and the msg. system also sends you the Lat/Long. of the bike whenever an alarm is triggered.

All in all, an AWESOME system, very simple installation and very good coverage-the cellular network/sat system is covered by Cingular/AT&T, so you cant really ask for better coverage.

I would recommend this Alarm to anyone who has serious $$ invested in their bike-because we all know the ins. companies arent going to cover your prized aftermarket goodies, esp. if you dont have reciepts; and with this system you will know WHEN your bike is getting f**ked with and if it is gone before you get there-you can find it in an instant, alert police (or call your buds n grab a bat), and get you baby back before the day is over-instead of waiting by the phone for the cops to call "sorry, all we found was the headlight and your lic. plate......have fun getn reamed by your ins. company "

ALSO-I was very impressed with Brian's overall helpfulness-he spoke with me at length when I was 'considering' his alarm, and made sure to stay in contact with me while he was out of stock until units were available-shipped my product and I recieved it in 4 working days, in excellent shape with all the required parts and instructions. Brian is a great guy to deal with so feel free to call n ask away-I dont think you'll be disappointed
beerchug.gif

and just for the record- I PAID FOR THIS SYSTEM I put this thread up for members' benfit-not Brian's. If he makes a sale or two I dont get any money from him-I really just want everyone to know what a good sec. system this is so they can have the same feeling of security that I do now
bowdown.gif

AlarmSystem_016.jpg

very nice setup! i can't access the web page because i'm on my work computer, sooo how much does she run?

the system is $595, and the cellular service runs $222 up to $282 for the plans...there are monthly plans available too.

FYI i have the 1500msg/month plan and even with 200 'false' msgs from me wiring the system bass-ackwards for two weeks I still only used 600 my first month....but if someone were to steal this thing I would be using msgs. every 10 seconds getting instant-updates on its location.

And what if someone such as thieves in a recent news story I read tosses the bike in the back of a metal enclosed truck and negates the GPS signal? The pros do this so Lojack won't work from what I understand...

No matter what you have, thieves will have something to counter it. All it does is slow them up.

(Shibumi @ Aug. 02 2007,16:06) And what if someone such as thieves in a recent news story I read tosses the bike in the back of a metal enclosed truck and negates the GPS signal? The pros do this so Lojack won't work from what I understand...
in regards to this: technically that would work.....IF they could roll a BIG, METAL-PANEL TRUCK up to the bike in the middle of a shopping mall parking lot, or wherever else out in public that you leave your bike; and PICK IT UP without anyone getting suspicious...but it only negates the signal AS LONG AS ITS IN THE TRUCK...pull it out to strip it and the signal starts sending AGAIN!

if you tap your wires into the main lines for power/neg. and wrap well, they wont stick out-and supposing they DID-AND the theif is smart enuf to cut them-the battery back-up will keep this unit going for 8 HOURS afterwards...shud be more than enuf time to find a bike.

The whole point to the tracking systems is to be 'unseen' alarms that allow you to 'follow' where the bike goes-with even a vague idea, at least you can tell the cops where to start looking "well, it last had a signal over here-" if they roll by the are and there's a BIG METAL VAN/TRUCK nearby......hmmm....

If a guy wants to steal your bike, yea he's guna find a a way-but regardless of that, I want to know where my bike is so after he takes off with it, I have SOME hope of getting it BACK-that is the point to this system. I have a chance to retrieve my bike with this setup-the most you'll get from a Scorpion is a nice "woop-woop" and then the theif cuts your wires n you're done-good luck finding whats left of your bike when they get through with it.

Like I said-if you invest serious amounts of $$ in your Busa (and pretty much every members' Busa here has SOME mod$), then dont you want to TRY to keep it safe? sure-so you get a Roadlok, or chain your pitbull to it, whatever-but what happens when they hoist the bike and slip your pooch a steak w/a sleepin pill in it? Most times-once your bike is gone-its GONE!
now, if my bike is gone-its 10 minutes or LESS from me pin-pointing it and running into the SOBs who took it-unless they're highly intelligent criminals who have planned to target my bike for weeks...in which case I appreciate the flattery that they think my bike is worth that much, but I'm still going to
guns.gif
them if I find them.

and FYI-metal panels of a cargo van are too thin, so thieves so inclined will have to pony-up some real cash for full-on Panel truck if they want to mask their thievery.

if anyone has an alrm system that works better at tracking a bike I'd love to see it-I can return this system and get something else that gives me more piece of mind-if it exists.

So far this is the best I've found-just thought I'd share it with folks who care about protecting their investment. Like I said, I aint makin money off this-i just found a tracking system that actually works the way it says it does...unlike some other alarms I looked at.

Thanks BigD I think I have found my alarm
super.gif

Along with 30 rounds of 7.62mm I should feel
pretty safe
guns.gif
SHOCKED.gif

rock.gif
Thats cheaper than Lojack! At least what i paid for mine. Even with the service fee, its cheaper
Something else that bothers me about Lojack-- I live a few hours from the Mexican border. If I go to work- and don't get home for 8-9 hours-- thats enough time to get to the border-- Plus- there0 are "holes" in the Lojack service area- plus- as I understand it- if a Police station doesn't have the system where they take it, your $%#ed.
http://www.phantomtracking.com/ I don't know the cost of this one yet. (I'll find out this weekend at TX meet n gr from Tango1300-David).

That's cool as hell Big D.

Just putting it out there, you do know a GPS tracking system can not track if the transmitter is enclosed in a trailer or van with no windows. Most bike thieves now days place and dismantle the bike as their rolling down the road on to the next victim.
I just read the other day about a husband and wife that was stealing bikes for years all over primarily during Sturgis,Daytona week.

Personally I can live without the GPS tracking (wasted money if you ask me) but I would diffinetly recommend investing in a good alarm. There are few out there, I've had my Scorpio Alaem for 3 yrs with no problem other than the ignition control module acting up when I ride over a hard bump which  causes my bike to blip off for a milli sec.
No sweat, a replacement only cost $30.  Or I can continue to keep the ignition control module wrapped up with foam to absorb any external shock.

I also agree with Suijuris comment........if a Police station doesn't have the system where they take it, your $%#ed.[/Quote]

If you decide to get this unit you better aleast find out if your local LEO has a system that will work with the unit.

I think that this works the same way as the buddy phones that you see commecials for (AMped I think). I'm not sure if the police need a "system", only because I think you log onto an internet website to track the scoot. Scott, thanks for the how too - Did you happen to discuss the possibility of a group buy with them, in case you get a lot of interest?

There is always a way to beat security - for anything... some of it hightech, some of it low... I really see security as a deterent; I don't have to run faster than the bear, just faster than the guy next to me...

Seems cool - so what about the phone/reciever/remote?

As a dealer for Phantom Tracking let me share with you guys some of the advantages of the Phantom Tracking System (PTS) that many of you may not realize. One, it is expensive up front. At $830.00 retail it is the most expensive system out there. The monthly monitoring fees are $13.95 each month for unlimited 24hr monitoring.

The tracking is monitored by an ADT based company that gives you ENGLISH speaking people at the call center who are based within the United States! Habib is not going to be searching for your bike from a 3rd world country!

Now to the techy stuff...

The PTS uses GPRS, GPS, Bluetooth and Zigbee. It works INSIDE METAL BUILDINGS, GARAGES, SHIPPING CONTAINERS, PANEL TRUCKS, and in areas without cell service.

I cannot reveal how it does this but a derivative of this system is used by the Government to track shipments of "stuff" for Military use. In fact, the system is modified version of the GE Blue Force Tracking system currently in use all over the Sand Box. Nice to have a little Military Issue High Dollar stuff on yer Busa!

Here is the real stuff as it matters. You arm your bike... if someone sits on it, moves it or tries to jack it... several things happen immediately. One, you get a text message sent to you from the PTS. Two, the call center is immediately Pinged with an alert. If in 30 seconds you do not disarm the system you get a phonecall from a sexy voice on the phane asking you if you are with your motorcycle. If indeed you say you are not... the PTS geocaches the nearest police vehicle with the information already provided and downloaded to your PTS. This BYPASSES POLICE DISPATCH and goes straight to the Police In-Car GPRS Computer tracking system. The call center also contacts the Police Dispatch to verify that your bike is active and will be contacting officers as they come within range of the 20 mile geocache. You can see, in many areas... cops are going to get gung-ho crazy with theft in progress alerts!

The PTS also does something no other system does. It clones the ESN number of any cell phone it can pick up within Bluetooth range and sends that info back to the Call center for further tracking of the subject who jacked your bike. In the event that the PTS were discovered and removed, the ESN of the Perp's cell has been copied so he and anyone else the PTS has come within Bluetooth range of, has been tagged as a suspect.

I am actually working directly with Harris County Auto Theft Detectives now in setting up "Bait" bikes for this specific tracking purpose. This system will take a bite out of crime.

Stats....?? No bike with this system has gone unrecovered. Just over 80% had zero damage at all. The size of the PTS is equal to a typical PDA cellphone with a simple 3-wire hookup. No external antenna is needed however it is an option. The system works in US, Mexico and Canada. Best yet... all thefts with this system have been recovered within 2.5 hours. In the cases were recoveries actually took that long was because the police were FOLLOWING the bike and "suspects" along a chain of chops shops while they were "shopping" the bike.

Do you want one..? I sell them for $749 plus the installation charge. For each system I sell to .Org members I will donate to the .org $25 for the support of the members. I believe in supporting those who help. I will have these units at the Tx Fall Bus Bash for your review.

Any Questions?

Nice Piece for sure but Alarms are good for DETERRING thieves,NOTHING will stop them...If they want it they gonna get it...I want an honest opinion does anyone here really know how long it would really take a theif to dismantle a busa and throw that complete system in the trash?

Bike Thieves from Tx that come here now know to be on the lookout for bait bikes in that area...some time a little info is too much info...

"I am actually working directly with Harris County Auto Theft Detectives now in setting up "Bait" bikes for this specific tracking purpose.  This system will take a bite out of crime.

Back