clutch ques. ???????????

nolo263

Registered
i was hoping for some help on this. when i shift my bike from neutral to first gear i hear a whack or a clunk in my bike. similar to what other bikes i have owned would do at stop lights or something when you put it in neutral to wait for the light. on my other bikes i could slightly rock it back and forth before i shifted so it would not make that sound. but on the busa no matter what i do rock it, pull in the clutch several times whatever, it still makes this sound kind like clutch not engaging fully. does your bike do this also or do i need to bleed my clutch or change fluid?

is your fluid dark? if it is then change it.

mine does it every once in a while but not all the time. The busa is notorious for being kind of noisy and clunking sounding.

It might be that the idle is a little high. I have had alot of bikes that did that to some degree for whatever reason. Mostly it was an idle problem. If your idle is not high, i would check to see if your chain is to tight, for whatever reason sometimes this helps also. But depending on the miles and such it might be somthing else. Those are only the easy stuff i can think of that might help you . I dont have my hayabusa as of yet so i cant comment on if mine dose this or not, but i have had alot of bikes do this and usually its somthing simple as i stated above.

Hope this helps you out some. Im sure some of the guys will chime in to give you some more info

Haven't noticed a problem like this on mine. Hmmm.???
rock.gif

My 04 has done it since new, as well as some kawasakis I've had. I don't worry about it, but I have noticed that on the busa, if I pull in the clutch several times rapidly it will sometimes allow the gear to engage smoothly. Maybe some issue with the plates?
rock.gif

what year is it...my 01 used to do it but it doesnt any more after i did the 02-05 clutch mod
cool.gif

My 04 does it all the time as well - has from day one.  I read something about it awhile back - I'll have to see if I can find it - basically the gist of the article was that it's normal and no big deal - had to do with the fact that the crank is turning and the tranny is not.  Thus when trying to engage the gear dogs, they clunk into place...

On a side note, there is a school of thought about not being in neutral at a stoplight, in case you need to move out of the way of someone coming up too fast on your 6. I will go to neutral at a long light if there are a couple of cages already stopped behind me though.

<!--EDIT|pward76
Reason for Edit: None given...|1111177026 -->

On a side note, there is a school of thought about not being in neutral at a stoplight, in case you need to move out of the way of someone coming up too fast on your 6.  I will go to neutral at a long light if there are a couple of cages already stopped behind me though.
My 03 does it. Nothing to worry about, as far as I'm concerned. Whenever we go on a ride, I hear all the other bikes in the group making the same racket so it doesn't bother me in the least.

And anyway, it's kind of authoritative, if you ask me.

And second what you said about putting it in neutral at a light.

--Wag--

my bike has 5k on the odometer. and yes fluid is kinda dark maybe ill change the fluid and see if it helps. and yes ive several other bikes that have done this but usually like i said i can could get them not to do it. ive noticed that it does it after it gets warmed up.

I got a 2000 busa and it does it from time to time.
I don't think its anything to worry about. Mine been doing it since new. Make sure your idle is not too high.

It's the two piece hub...I think that's what it's called...I installed the Carpenter Clutch Ring and the clunk is now gone...

Back