Chinese Pazzo Imitation Clutch and Brake Levers Installed

My lever are so special, costly, rare and better than everybody else's levers 'cause mine hand whittled from magical unicorn horn by nubile, virgin, midget elves, dressed in octoberfest costumes, in a secret castle in the black forest.

THIS
Oktoberfest.jpg

+

THIS
sexy-midget.jpg

+

THIS
unicorn1.jpg

+

THIS
magic+castle.jpg

=

best freaking levers ever.

:moon::moon::moon:

cheers
ken

I hate to be the one to break it to you Ken, but they weren't virgins... :whistle:

OK, so some of you need to step away from the internet metallurgy...

The yield strength on 6061 T6 aluminum is ~250 mpa...

EVEN IF the levers are cast, and had significant amounts of hydrogen sucked into them, which can happen... your talking about a reduction of strength to around ~200 mpa at worst...

NOW... that means, if these chinese knock offs are failing, they are either NOT being heat treated and precipitation hardened correctly.. which in that case makes them untempered 6061 which is significantly weaker... OR they are not 6061 aluminum AT ALL...

the tempering is the more likely fault, as it is possible to screw this up, and end up with a piece of junk, still labled as T6061 aluminum....

SO, here is what I am going to do...

im going to buy a set of the 20 what ever dollar chinese knock offs, chop them up, and take them into the lab...

i'm going to toss them into the SEM, and do a full analysis and see what comes out...

I ALSO will do hardness testing on them...

either they come out to be the same as standard 6061-T6 and they are as "strong" as the other pieces, excluding any parts attached... or they come out as slag...

NOW, if someone has a broken pazzo, or would like to donate a pazzo to me to test i would HAPPILY run that one as well, to give us a comparison...

The SEM tests are destructive, so the lever would be dead after i was done...

i could however do hardness tests on the lever that would not be destructive...

PM Me if you have levers to donate, again, broken ones are fine as i'll be chopping them up anyhow for SEM...

argument done... :welcome:

I'm wondering how long it takes a goon from Pazzo to call you :laugh:

In one way, I'm totally STOKED to prove all the chinese knockers wrong, but at the same time, this thread is full of so much win, I hate to see it go... :poke:

It can go either way...

I mean, even i admit, im going to have a sample size of one lever... maybe i get a good one, maybe a bad one... same could be said if i manage to get a pazzo to chop up(hey pazzo, you could send me a sample!)...

However, if the lever's come out with in a reasonable spec range... then chances are they could be called close enough to the same as to not make a real world difference, as materials go...

and i have no dog in the race, as i use NEITHER pazzo or chinese....

Truth be told, i just like any excuse to go play with the SEM and micro hardness testers in the lab... :rofl:

Anyhow, ordering up a chinese lever set shortly...

To make people feel better, i will show pictures of the chinese ones chopped in to bits :laugh:

I also have a broken stocker laying around, so if i can get enough time on the SEM, maybe ill toss it in there as well...

Ok I'll bite on that. I've got an extra Pazzo to donate. It ain't broke just scuffed up from the crash. Since I got a new one I'll donate this one to the argument.

OK, so some of you need to step away from the internet metallurgy...

The yield strength on 6061 T6 aluminum is ~250 mpa...

EVEN IF the levers are cast, and had significant amounts of hydrogen sucked into them, which can happen... your talking about a reduction of strength to around ~200 mpa at worst...

NOW... that means, if these chinese knock offs are failing, they are either NOT being heat treated and precipitation hardened correctly.. which in that case makes them untempered 6061 which is significantly weaker... OR they are not 6061 aluminum AT ALL...

the tempering is the more likely fault, as it is possible to screw this up, and end up with a piece of junk, still labled as T6061 aluminum....

SO, here is what I am going to do...

im going to buy a set of the 20 what ever dollar chinese knock offs, chop them up, and take them into the lab...

i'm going to toss them into the SEM, and do a full analysis and see what comes out...

I ALSO will do hardness testing on them...

either they come out to be the same as standard 6061-T6 and they are as "strong" as the other pieces, excluding any parts attached... or they come out as slag...

NOW, if someone has a broken pazzo, or would like to donate a pazzo to me to test i would HAPPILY run that one as well, to give us a comparison...

The SEM tests are destructive, so the lever would be dead after i was done...

i could however do hardness tests on the lever that would not be destructive...

PM Me if you have levers to donate, again, broken ones are fine as i'll be chopping them up anyhow for SEM...

argument done... :welcome:

Ordered a clutch lever from them... not sure how long they take to ship...

Still looking for a broken pazzo someone might be willing to "donate to the cause"

understandable if no one has one or wants to give it up....

Just means ill only be able to compare the chinese to standard 6061 baseline tempers rather than to what pazzo's offering is...

As a side note..... what this also means is... if the 6061 composition is right, and the tempering is what failed....

its possible to fix that problem by breaking the temper, and re-heat treating the metal..

if this ends up being the case, i will see if i can devise a "do-it-at-home" method for you guys... If this is possible or not will however depend on a few variables, and the temp your oven can get to LOL...

MORE LATER..

Back