Can the Panigale Be Great?

Team Gixxer does not give sponsorships, but we'll take them!

The rear tire is a 200, I think the ZX10R is too and maybe the BMW. A Ducati is not a normal, mass production bike. The tricolor comes with Ohlins top of the line electronically adjustible suspension and race ABS. Plus you get brembo from lever to disc (MC, caliper & discs), SS lines, usable rear-sets, quick-shifter, nice exhaust that doesn't need immediate replacing and really nice wheels. That's $20K+ of upgrades to a Busa!

I don;t think there is anything inherently unreliable with desmo valves. The idea of opening and shutting the valves rather than letting a spring do it is pretty solid mechanically. I don't get turning cams on something that complex with rubber belts though, which is the source of many a problem on a Duc. But the 1199 finally has a steel cam chain. It's no secret that no one builds reliability like the Japanese - you guys are spoiled. I remember us all sitting at my buddies house hoping he could ge hic 749 started only to end up leaving him.

Don't send someone out to shoot me but the BMW S1000RR is butt ugly. I still can't beleive they put that lop-sided plastic on it and then put it on the market like that? Yeah it is powerful and has some nice features but it's never won a pro race, not even one?!? Don't get me wrong it's a great bike and I have considered one myself, but it's greatness comes more from the competition sleeping than it just being better. BTW, wait until you see the service tag at your local BMW dealer!

The only thing I see ugly on the BMW is the headlight, but since the rider can't see it, and most everyone else will never see it as they will be BEHIND it (to include a lot of Busa's), that part doesn't bother me too much :)

Ugly? I don't think so
:wow:
bmw-s1000rr-2012--29-.jpg

The only thing I see ugly on the BMW is the headlight, but since the rider can't see it, and most everyone else will never see it as they will be BEHIND it (to include a lot of Busa's), that part doesn't bother me too much :)

Ugly? I don't think so
:wow:
bmw-s1000rr-2012--29-.jpg

Unless they changed it the two sides of fairings on the bike are completely different. It's almost like they copied a Japanese design and then went crazy with the cosmetics to make it different. The Ducati on the other hand looks like cosmetics and technical issues were all considered froom the first day they started designing it. Besides, I thought BMW has been telling us for years that air cooled flat twins and linked front suspension was the way to go? So they decide to make a real sport bike and they abandon everything they have been preaching for years and give us a Suzuki with traction control and ABS .......

I should stop though. I really don't dislike the BMW. It's a good bike and has pushed the performance envalope a little farther forward and managed to keep the price realistic. I could actually crash the BMW at a track and not feel like I'm going to loose my house. So for that I give it much respect. I can certainly seem why someone would buy one and I can't really say anything negative about that.

The 1199 does have rear pegs and a pillion. I asked because the wife wants her tiny ass on the back of that thing.

P.S. My first post on the ORG. Coming from the "Nation". Not much action over there.

Drew-

I've been aiming to stop in over there, but just haven't. Was getting some weird spam emails from there for a while. Not much happening there lately eh?

Unless they changed it the two sides of fairings on the bike are completely different. It's almost like they copied a Japanese design and then went crazy with the cosmetics to make it different. The Ducati on the other hand looks like cosmetics and technical issues were all considered froom the first day they started designing it. Besides, I thought BMW has been telling us for years that air cooled flat twins and linked front suspension was the way to go? So they decide to make a real sport bike and they abandon everything they have been preaching for years and give us a Suzuki with traction control and ABS .......

I should stop though. I really don't dislike the BMW. It's a good bike and has pushed the performance envalope a little farther forward and managed to keep the price realistic. I could actually crash the BMW at a track and not feel like I'm going to loose my house. So for that I give it much respect. I can certainly seem why someone would buy one and I can't really say anything negative about that.

Two completely different trains of thought when you compare Italians to Germans. Italians design things that MUST be pleasing to look and like a work of art. In everything they do it's like this. Germans on the other it's 'form follows function' which is Heckler & Koch's motto. Germans design it to work and do wha they need and then step back and worry about what it looks like. Look at German architecture compared to Italian. Easy to see what a Duc is so pretty to look at and the Bimmer ain't .

On the performance front of the 1199.... I am curious if the monoque front is going to be an issue or not! You got Troy out there running some very good times on it! I also wonder how much similiar engineering tech from MotoGP got transfered into there road bike.... The MotoGP runs a V4 and the roadbike a twin. They make power differently, even though they have tried to make it act like a big twin. I know that the MotoGP bike has front end feed back problems. I agree that this may be a problem with the 1199, but as far as I know they havent stated it to be an issue on the road bike as of yet. I do know, just like you, the world is expecting it to be an issue. I cant wait til the reviews, road tests, and track tests come out to confirm this as a problem or something Ducati has solved on there Road Bike or future WSB racer. But they really made a HOT SEXY BIKE! Looks better then the Aprilia... and I love the look of that Bike too!

Back