Can the Panigale Be Great?

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
Thought some of you might enjoy reading this blog entry I wrote yesterday. I know this is a busa board but what got me thinking about this is how can Ducati produce such awesome bikes and Suzuki be so absent as far as upgrading the herd?

Can The Panigale Be Great?

One look at the new Ducati 1199 Panigale and its clear this is no ordinary motorcycle. It’s maybe the most beautiful bike ever made, closer to a work of art than even the original MV F4. It is aggressive, purposefully lean, and as curvy as a Playboy centerfold. But in this case beauty goes much deeper than the surface. The new Ducati is a step ahead of anything else you can buy technologically. It belongs in the dictionary by the very definition of a superbike.

Even with all that said, I question the bike. Clearly this is a revolutionary step for Ducati. Gone is the rattle and hum of the dry clutch. Gone are the under seat Tamburini’s. Gone are the rubber cam drive belts. Even the “L†shaped 90 degree twin has given way to a lesser angle. Rumor is even the riding position is comfortable! But most obvious of all is the missing trellis frame.

And that’s where I get a little nervous. The Panigale looks to be the perfect superbike statement, except for its big glaring fault. It’s no secret that the air box frame doesn’t work, not even for a G.O.A.T. like Rossi. We mortals may never challenge the 1199 to the point where her birth defect gets between you and keeping the wheels road side down; but it’s still there.

Ducati says they started working on this bike before the 1098 even came out. Imagine the script: Rossi comes over, manages to ride the GP11 back to respectability and saves all the time and money invested in the first sport bike with a monoque chassis. I can only imagine the look on the faces at Ducati when it was clear that the air box frame was simply not going to work; and the Panigale would have to go to market with it front and center. Moreover If Rossi wins a race next year it will probably be on a GP12 with a traditional frame. The only thing more unbearable than to admit that the air box idea was a long trip down a dead end road, ending the reign of Val would be even more disgraceful for Ducati. Even the WSB people will be riding this year’s bike again and the Panigale won’t see professional level racing with factory support anytime soon.

So, can a bike with so clear a race bred lineage be considered one of the great motorcycle designs without proving itself in battle? Is all the technology and good looks enough to excuse so fundamental a flaw? I think not. The question that will always be asked is whether or not Ducati should have wrapped all of the Panigale’s talent and beauty in a trellis frame and declared a Mulligan. Maybe the new bike wouldn’t be as light or as slickly packaged but it would have worked. And it could have taken its place among the true great bikes that proved themselves on the track.

And that’s a shame. Not wanting to race the 1199 is different from it not being up to the task. It’s a great story that a little firm in Italy can beat companies that sell more bikes in a week than Ducati sells in a year. I was cheering this new bike being born in a time when the big 3 are serving yesterdays warmed over leftovers. Let’s just hope the Panigale can overcome its handicap. More importantly though, let’s hope Ducati keeps stretching the boundaries to be different, and better.

it is beautiful. no doubt. I hope it runs cooler then the 1098 cause they get so dam hot. would have liked to see a better look tail section but its quite breath taking nonetheless

It is a gorgous bike, but I'm in love with the 2012 BMW 1000RR Patriot Color Scheme

pic never seen or heard of this, and I pay no attention to any motorcycle regardless of looks or performance that has that dry clutch sound :whistle:. Saw a really nice looking Duc and when they fired that thing up I was headed in the opposite direction :laugh:

Me too. I love the motorad colored BMW and have a 2012 on order as a matter of fact. The maint should be cheaper and the price is way cheaper. My friend is getting the Panigale Tri Calore. The dealer quoted him $30k out the door. I'm looking at a smidge under $19k (all options except for alarm) minus whatever I get for my Hayabusa. He's trading in a Ducati 1098S btw.

The panigale looks like a great bike, sexy as hell, can't wait to see one in person.

For the first time ever I am looking at getting a new duc, either a 2012 diavel or the panigale, they have revised there maintenance schedules on these bike's now so that it does not cost a 2nd mortgage to receive work done on them.

The msrp is higher then most bike's, but your also not getting a regular motorcycle, abs,dtc,awesome brakes,2year warranty with roadside assistance.

With the price of all bikes climbing, take a look at a kawa 10r with abs or the new Cbr, Ducati's prices really are not out of the ball park like they were 5-10 years ago.

And MSRP...

I paid $15,200 otd for a loaded BMW s1000rr, with a 3year warranty and roadside, with first service free, now go look at a new liter bike with abs and see there is not much price difference.

Every bike dealer will deal with cash in hand, no one has to pay msrp if you know how to deal.

Awesome looking bike. I always dreamed of this one. Grew up idolizing Senna, plus it's timeless in design.

>>>> 2007 MV Agusta F4-1000S Senna Specifications and Price - Motorcycle USA <<<<

MV_Agusta_F4_1000_Senna_2006_01_1024x768.jpg

Heresy of the day: It's about time for Ducati to dump desmo valves. There is absolutely no good reason to continue this technology anymore, and a lot of good reasons to abandon it.

Of course, this is like telling Harley to give up V-twins and to water cool them. I'm pretty sure Harley will soon have to water cool them to meet emissions and noise requirements (LOL!), plus reliability. FWIW, there are good reasons for V-twin engines.

I like it too, but what about the performance and Maintenance.

I don't think you can question the performance, but yes maintenance, parts, and initial investment are high, but not nearly as bad as the Duc.

If I hit the lottery, I'd buy one and park it in the house as a work of art, then buy a 2nd one to ride :please:

Harleys do not come loud out of the box, when my buddy got his was very quiet till he got creative with exhaust.:whistle: They are very reliable too, my stock Gen 1 overheated stuck in bike week traffic in Daytona and all my Harleys friends kept on riding :down: :laugh:

My back started to ache just looking at that pic.. Although something else happened too, but that was in my groin.... :drool:

Harleys do not come loud out of the box, when my buddy got his was very quiet till he got creative with exhaust.:whistle: They are very reliable too, my stock Gen 1 overheated stuck in bike week traffic in Daytona and all my Harleys friends kept on riding :down: :laugh:
Didn't mean to diss Harley. We own two of them. But the Harley-copycats have pushed HD to engine displacements beyond what is reasonable for an air-cooled twin. Killing fuel to the rear cylinder at idle is not a great long-term solution.

Beautiful bike. The rear tire looks a lot taller than a 190/55x17

Back