Cameras!

TheAtomicAss

Registered
So I'm shopping around for a camera. I don't use a camera extremely frequently, but that may have something to do with not having my own.
tounge.gif

One of the primary things I will be doing is shooting video. (Going for that tank mount). I would like to have 30fps at 640x480, but I'll settle for anything higher than 320x240, as long as the fps stays at 30. I really don't know if steady-shot is a standard yet or not, but it would be nice to have. Direct-to-DivX encoding and/or formatting for PSP would be the ultimate in awesome.

Secondary, is pictures. I'd like to get 5mp. More is always gooder. Not much else to say here.

Third, is storage. I don't like the mini-dvd recorders. (And I imagine they would not like a motorcyce, either). I'd like to have either SD or MSPD solid-state memory. I'll only consider a built-in hard drive IF the camera is capable of handling 1 or more inputs from external cameras. (Like a twenty-20 camera).

Inexpensive, (or included in the package), DC adapters are a major plus, of course.

And while I do have a price range in mind, I may be willing to extend it if just the right machine exists.

So, any suggestions?

I think Kodak makes a digital camera that does all that you want.

Mini DV is a good option, smaller than my Hi-8, lighter too. You dont want a HDD storage, or DVD, they wont record on a bike for crap if at all. Sanyo makes a small SD card, HD quality camera, most affordable in the HD line up by $400 or so. I'm not sure though if it has a tripod mount thumb screw on the bottom or not, waiting to see one in person myself. If not, I would look into JVC. I've had friends with JVC, save money over Sony, and dont have any of the DL'ing issues either. 30fps is pretty much standard, unless you can get into some of the high end HD models. GL.

Here is the one I am needing to know if it has a tripod mount thread on...
http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/camcord....ailsTab

if you strap it to your bike, make sure it is NOT: OPTICAL STABILIZATION
now, ask me why I know
smile.gif

Okay, why do you know?
poke.gif

Mini-DV is probably the way to go. I have a Samsung but I think it has that Optical Stabilization thingy on it. You can turn it off, however. I haven't tried to use it on my bike yet. What I REALLY want to do is get a remote camera about the size of a pencil and mount it in the front fairing so I don't have to mount it on my tank. Just a thought.

The still image capabilities of every vidcam I've looked at really suck. You're better off getting a separate digital still camera for that.

--Wag--

Also, you really want a camera with 500+ scan lines. 480 is the absolute minimum. Forget about even entertaining 240. MiniDV is really the only option for a bike mounted camcorder. The Samsung ones I run were under $200 each.

I have my sportbikecam.com on order and my new Sony DCR-HC96 MiniDV Handycam® Camcorder ready to go,,just have to get another windshield when i wanna tape,,i have a zg db dark smoke,,,gonna probably get a helmet cam so i use the camcorder on my snowmobile and jetski also,,maybe even mount the camera to the rollbar of the camaro for the wheelstand shots.....

(Wag @ Jan. 03 2007,18:28) Okay, why do you know?
poke.gif
gald you asked!! hahaha not really... anyway, I recently returned a very nice 3CCD Panasonic GS500 that featured the higher quality OPTICAL STABILIZATION. this was before I read up on it.... hooked it up to the sportbike cam tank mount and started the engine. looking at the LCD, I could tell the vibrations we hidious. I went ahead and road around the block, watched it, and put it back in it's box for return. THEN read up on a couple biker cam sights that recommended digital stabilization. It DOES cut down the pixel count of the image since it pushes the image around to compensate, but you don't get a jumbled, vibration fest either. To compare, I been get mich nicer looking video with my bottom feeding $240 Samsung MiniDV on the same sportbike camera mount.

After much research I am going to try the Sony HD [hi-def, not hard drive] cam. It is very hard finding an HD the DOES NOT HAVE Optical Stabilzation, but I believe this one does not. It is not on the cheap end per this posts requests though.

comcorderinfo.com - one of the many decent review sites
sony_hc3_cmos_275.jpg

(WWJD @ Jan. 03 2007,22:45)
poke.gif
gald you asked!! hahaha not really...   anyway,  I recently returned a very nice 3CCD Panasonic GS500 that featured the higher quality OPTICAL STABILIZATION.  this was before I read up on it....   hooked it up to the sportbike cam tank mount and started the engine.   looking at the LCD, I could tell the vibrations we hidious.  I went ahead and road around the block, watched it, and put it back in it's box for return.  THEN read up on a couple biker cam sights that recommended digital stabilization.  It DOES cut down the pixel count of the image since it pushes the image around to compensate, but you don't get a jumbled, vibration fest either.  To compare, I been get mich nicer looking video with my bottom feeding $240 Samsung MiniDV on the same sportbike camera mount.

After much research I am going to try the Sony HD [hi-def, not hard drive] cam.  It is very hard finding an HD the DOES NOT HAVE Optical Stabilzation, but I believe this one does not.  It is not on the cheap end per this posts requests though.

sony_hc3_cmos_275.jpg
Nice cam! Nice choice.

I'm not going for bargain basement, I just don't need a professional grade camera.

My budget realistically, is around 1K between the camcorder and any accessories.

For 1K you should be able to get a VERY nice setup!

--Wag--

1k, yeah! This sony is $975 online [retial around 1400], but keep in mind HD is larger data and pointless without HD TV to review

(WWJD @ Jan. 04 2007,11:35) 1k, yeah! This sony is $975 online [retial around 1400], but keep in mind HD is larger data and pointless without HD TV to review
Well, my 6yo laptop has better resolution than even the most cutting-edge of HD tv's...
jump9.gif

Or are you saying that you can't even preview the picture at all on an SD TV? That would suck...

What would the difference be between 2 seemingly identical cameras, with the only difference being one has a 3.9mm lens and the other has an 8mm lens?

k, an update: I think you can hook up that SONY to normal TV via regular video modes in low res of course. It will also record is SD mode.

Sorry, I don't know lenses. See if maybe pricier cams have bigger lens and gauge from that maybe? I plan to buy a freakin huge wide angle for whichever cam I finally end up with

I stumped my way through to second level Sony tech support and after reviewing exploded views and schematics, the tech determined it is NOT "Optical" stabilization - it's a hybrid of a physical motion sensor adjusting the pickup chip pixels. Hmmmmm.... sounds like it won't work for cycles
sad.gif
Ima try to find one local and make an actual test before buying one and loosing a 15% restocking fee on a return. Crap. There's a new Canon in this price rage that is HD, MiniDV, and MIGHT have Electronic Image Stabilzation

(TheAtomicAss @ Jan. 04 2007,12:40) What would the difference be between 2 seemingly identical cameras, with the only difference being one has a 3.9mm lens and the other has an 8mm lens?
Are they fixed focus? 3.9 MM is a standard focal length for normal viewing. An 8MM focal length is a fair amount of zoom. Too much zoom for getting decent on-board video in my opinion. I don't know of any camcorders with fixed focal lengths any more, only remote cameras.

(WWJD @ Jan. 03 2007,19:45)
poke.gif
gald you asked!! hahaha not really...   anyway,  I recently returned a very nice 3CCD Panasonic GS500 that featured the higher quality OPTICAL STABILIZATION.  this was before I read up on it....   hooked it up to the sportbike cam tank mount and started the engine.   looking at the LCD, I could tell the vibrations we hidious.  I went ahead and road around the block, watched it, and put it back in it's box for return.  THEN read up on a couple biker cam sights that recommended digital stabilization.  It DOES cut down the pixel count of the image since it pushes the image around to compensate, but you don't get a jumbled, vibration fest either.  To compare, I been get mich nicer looking video with my bottom feeding $240 Samsung MiniDV on the same sportbike camera mount.

After much research I am going to try the Sony HD [hi-def, not hard drive] cam.  It is very hard finding an HD the DOES NOT HAVE Optical Stabilzation, but I believe this one does not.  It is not on the cheap end per this posts requests though.

sony_hc3_cmos_275.jpg
HI Greg.

I also have the GS500. They recommend that you turn the OIS off if you are mounting to a fixed mount like a tripod (when panning), or a bike mount, otherwise the cam tends to stabilize itself to death thereby ruining your shot - as you learned.

OIS is more for handheld operation and is designed to take some minor shake out. I would be interested to hook my cam up sometime without OIS and see how it goes. Maybe this summer.

(pward76 @ Jan. 04 2007,14:02)
(WWJD @ Jan. 03 2007,19:45)
poke.gif
gald you asked!! hahaha not really... anyway, I recently returned a very nice 3CCD Panasonic GS500 that featured the higher quality OPTICAL STABILIZATION. this was before I read up on it.... hooked it up to the sportbike cam tank mount and started the engine. looking at the LCD, I could tell the vibrations we hidious. I went ahead and road around the block, watched it, and put it back in it's box for return. THEN read up on a couple biker cam sights that recommended digital stabilization. It DOES cut down the pixel count of the image since it pushes the image around to compensate, but you don't get a jumbled, vibration fest either. To compare, I been get mich nicer looking video with my bottom feeding $240 Samsung MiniDV on the same sportbike camera mount.

After much research I am going to try the Sony HD [hi-def, not hard drive] cam. It is very hard finding an HD the DOES NOT HAVE Optical Stabilzation, but I believe this one does not. It is not on the cheap end per this posts requests though.

sony_hc3_cmos_275.jpg
HI Greg.

I also have the GS500. They recommend that you turn the OIS off if you are mounting to a fixed mount like a tripod (when panning), or a bike mount, otherwise the cam tends to stabilize itself to death thereby ruining your shot - as you learned.

OIS is more for handheld operation and is designed to take some minor shake out. I would be interested to hook my cam up sometime without OIS and see how it goes. Maybe this summer.
hmmm didn't know it was defeatable. without SOME form of image stabilizer, I worry for the finished product. Alas, I returned my gs500 months ago, but I thought it was a GREAT looking cam!

I'm gonna buy the HC3 from American, test it on the bike, and return it if need be. They have a 5 day 100% return policy

I'll post pics and results when ti get it in a few weeks

Back