Broken chain =@#%.

silverfreak

Registered
hello fellow busa owners.had a bad thing happen today.i was going on a ride meeting with a group of guys to our favorite shrimp eating place and my friggin chain decides to crap out on me.i was riding pretty hard and i had just shifted to third and at about 8000 rpm and i get one hell of a clank and i loose total power to the bike.the engine dies and all power is lost.so i roll to stop and look down and i have antifreeze going everywhere.so i get stopped and lean onto the kickstand and then all the oil starts coming out of it.thas when i notice the chain broken.at this point im like oh fug.then start inspecting further after a call to a friend with a trailerand the whole chain cover and clutch cylinder cover is just flopping around.after i get home and start the disassembly process of removing the carnage.i find the countershaft completely sheered in half and the shift lever cover and linkage is wiped out.now i have to pull the engine and find out what has happened to the transmission.one good thing is that id didnyt crack the engine cases.so i guess ill ask if anyone has stuff they dont need and or they will sell.dont have lots of money right now to buy new stuff.just asking if somebody has any takeoffs.Thanks David

You'll need a water pump, plus a whole lot more probably.

I have seen that happen before on a Busa.

Tear down with overnight shipping of parts took about a week to fix it.

Be very careful of where the clutch pushrod gasket goes into the engine case, if the pushrod is broken, use a small extendable magnet to remove the pieces.

sorry to hear of your mishap.I have fixed and sold lots of the Oh shoot I broke my chain repair kits...I advise you first before getting a single part to pull the shift shaft cover(what's left of it),pull the shaft itself out and look and see if it cracked or chunked the shaft bearing seat.If it did you will need a motor or set of cases.I will assist you in any way but advise you to do this first.I have parts and complete motors either way...

We have a whole engine I may be parting out, make a list with prices, I will see what we can do, So far the clutch cover and the injectors are spoken for...

I was wondering that also?
beerchug.gif

I have case savers available also...but they still don't guarantee no damage at all...it does save a good bit though...

If you have to get another motor or parts definetly hit Cloud Nine up.  He can also get you a heavy duty sprocket cover kit.  

Heres my sprocket cover I put on a few years ago to help min damage caused from a chain break.

DSC02477.jpg

Kit assembled

Disregard the textbox in this photo !

Gary.jpg

With a little TLC (polished) she will lQQk like this.

DSC02499.jpg

Stock cover installed.
DSC02470.jpg

Stock sprocket cover removed. Spray simple green in there to clean things up.
DSC02474.jpg

If the motor is not damaged and only the clutch push rod, you can try removing  what is left of it. Do not damage the rubber seal in the case surrounding the rod while trying to remove it.

Rhythmz2.jpg

Like the man (TimmyDuck) said !

<span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>Use a small extendable magnet to remove the what is left of the pushrod. </span></span>

Hey silverfreak,

I'm almost willing to bet all you're going to need is a new water pump, gear-shift cover, and sprocket cover.

Hey silverfreak,

I'm almost willing to bet all you're going to need is a new water pump, gear-shift cover, and sprocket cover.

(bacharles @ Dec. 17 2006,15:17) Hey silverfreak,

have to go in and split the cases anyway.the output shaft snapped into behind the sprocket.hopefully the transmission is not damaged. have some pretty good amount of damage but dont know exactly how much yet.

(GoldenChild @ Dec. 16 2006,21:17) sorry to hear of your mishap.I have fixed and sold lots of the Oh shoot I broke my chain repair kits...I advise you first before getting a single part to pull the shift shaft cover(what's left of it),pull the shaft itself out and look and see if it cracked or chunked the shaft bearing seat.If it did you will need a motor or set of cases.I will assist you in any way but advise you to do this first.I have parts and complete motors either way...
ill definately check out the bearing seat.thanks for the info. do you have stock output shaft for 03 model-waterpump housing.the waterpump impellar escaped damage.

(turb06LE240 @ Dec. 17 2006,05:54) We have a whole engine I may be parting out, make a list with prices, I will see what we can do, So far the clutch cover and the injectors are spoken for...
if you decide to do the parting out.id be intrested in transmission,shift linkages and shift forks.waterpump+housing.shoot me some prices.hopefully dont need tranny but wont know till i get it tore down.definately have to have output shaft though.

check bearing seat before you waste your time even tearing it apart.Waterpump is available complete not seperate covers....I got tons of it all...

If anyone wants a 16,000 tensile strenght chain which should solve most of the problem, hit me up.....many broken chains are a results of power and poor rear wheel alignment. Check yours.

You got all the help you need here to fix it after the fact! "the lb of cure" Now what was the oz of prevention? Chain worn out
rock.gif
 Too much throttle? I see you got.....
2003 gray&silver, kws 1397kit,13/1 je pistons,yosh cams/ported head.ape cam chain adjuster,micron full header,pc111rusb,large airbox mod,pair block off plates,bmc race filter.kennedy adjustable lowering links,schnitz lowering straps,bde clutch mod,tsubaki sigma chain.  I want to Know  
all_coholic.gif

(8Daytona8 @ Dec. 18 2006,06:01) You got all the help you need here to fix it after the fact! "the lb of cure" Now what was the oz of prevention? Chain worn out
rock.gif
 Too much throttle? I see you got.....
2003 gray&silver, kws 1397kit,13/1 je pistons,yosh cams/ported head.ape cam chain adjuster,micron full header,pc111rusb,large airbox mod,pair block off plates,bmc race filter.kennedy adjustable lowering links,schnitz lowering straps,bde clutch mod,tsubaki sigma chain.  I want to Know  
all_coholic.gif
chain had 6500 miles.lubed and cleaned every250 and 500 miles.little to much throttle shifted into 3rd at about 8000-9000 rpm and wham .bike makes 196 hp-114tq at 9100 rpm.so i guess i need to lighten up on the gas a little.plus i think weight played a factor also.im 6'2-225. chain should not have broken.sigma tsubaki supposed to be one of the strongest out.for busa's.

(GoldenChild @ Dec. 17 2006,23:27) check bearing seat before you waste your time even tearing it apart.Waterpump is available complete not seperate covers....I got tons of it all...
well sir.you called it.bearing seat has a hairline crack in it.so ill be needing a lower case.or matched set.we have a shop here that says they can weld it up and recut for the seat.may try that route first.if not then it will be cases.ps shoot me some prices for a set of cases.or if anyone has any for sale.Thanks David

Back