Broken Chain Warranty?

V6RACER

Registered
Raised the busa back to original height the sat. night and went around the block to check everything out. Ran it up in first pulled the clutch to shift to second and nothing happened. My first thought was that the clutch let go but upon further inspection (and after pushing the bike home) I saw that the chain was missing. Didn't here anything pop. Went back and picked up the chain then opened up the case to find more damage to the area around the sprocket. I have 4500 mi on the busa and no problems until now. Should I even try to get this covered under warranty? If not, which chain do you recommend for replacement? I ride normal most of the time no wheelies occasional burnout. I have a 16t front sprocket and 40t rear. Here are some pics.

i would always try to get warranty first....never hurt to as...
wink.gif

Chain broke, eh? I'll give you 2 grand for the bike AND I'll pay the shipping!

Yes a Broken chain is covered under warranty. I had 2 of my riding buddies snap chains. One caused $4000 worth of damage. He had it repaired and the switched to a Tsubaki Sigma Nickle plated chain. Why would you put the same weak chain back on your bike. Your dealership will most likely say they will not cover it,that is because Motorcycle dealerships hate doing warranty work since it takes about 90 days for them to get the money for the work from Suzuki. PLus they cant over charge Suzuki they way they do the public. Stick to it and dont give up if they do. Call American Suzuki and speal to a Rep if it come down to it.

<!--EDIT|Gixx1300R
Reason for Edit: None given...|1073322279 -->

OUCH! Good luck and it should be a warranty deal but it all depends on the dealership and the person helping you.
wink.gif

Mickey D and WWJD......are these bids facetious or a way of saying the bike has been ridden hard? Why would a chain break after such low mileage? This makes no sense. I know Zuki OED chains are not of high quality, but unless this bike was ridden hard, the chain should go to 7,500 to 10,000 miles with no problem.

Educate me please!!!

when i bought my bike last month, the saleman told me to pay special attention to the chain. obviousley there is a common problem with the oem chain, why hasnt susuki taken care of it? and whats it take a bad accident and lawsuit?

Did you adjust the slack in the chain when you lowered the Busa and again when you raised it? The geometry of the swingarm changes when you change the height. You may have gotten the chain too tight when you loaded the suspension and the chain popped.

Mickey D and WWJD......are these bids facetious or a way of saying the bike has been ridden hard?   Why would a chain break after such low mileage?  This makes no sense.  I know Zuki OED chains are not of high quality, but unless this bike was ridden hard, the chain should go to 7,500 to 10,000 miles with no  problem.  

Educate me please!!!
Naah, I'm just yanking your chain...
laugh.gif

I have a chain problem as well. The chain streached unevenly, so I cannot tension it properly. It kinda sloshes around back there. NO BUENO!

I ordered an RK-GWX chain - supposed to be the strongest, 10,000 lb average tension, It is backordered until ent of Jan and my supplier thought he's save me $20 and get a chain in sooner so he came up with at DID chain. Never heard of it and it is only rated for bikes up to 1000 cc so I'm still waiting for the RK to come in.

I would very much like to know what the OEM chain is rated at.

By the looks the chain, no offense intended, but has it been cleaned and oiled regularly? Most chains recommend oiling every 300 miles.

4k is way to early to pop a chain, usually they wear and streach first. I cannot see any wear on the pin of that chain. It looks like it overheated and broke. As a chain wears it dosen't really streach in the sense that the metal plates get longer. What happens is the pins get grooves worn in them, letting the plates move back and forth. I'll try to post a pict later.

Good luck with the warentee!

Mikey

The pin did not get hot that is chain lube. It just broke. I did adjust the chain and almost everytime I rode I double checked it. I have ridden the bike pretty hard at times but it has nothing done to increase HP except an air filter and tre, which means the chain should have hung in there longer.

Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news but GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had the same thing happen to my chain, 2500 miles on the bike and Suzuki said not only no but hell no. NO CHAIN WARRANTY!!!!! They can't be sure that you took care of the chain like you should have and they swear up and down that the chain they put on the bike is the strongest chain on the market(BULLSHIT). You can try the Warranty but I can tell you now by experience you will have to pay for it yourself. After fighting with Suzuki I just had the dealer fix it. They gave me the parts at cost but that was it. Also you need to check the boss that the shift shaft goes into in the main part of the case, I'll bet you that the boss has a small crack in it also. Let me know what happens .

If you ride your busa gently as I usually do, does this lessen the chance of a chain snapping? In other words would 9,000 lb tensile strength be good for folks that don't go over 120 and zero to 60 in 2 seconds all the time and don't do burnouts?

Johnny cheese had a post a few months back saying how weak the OEM chains were and that he had boxes of OEM chains that snapped. I believe many on this forum have replace their OEMs at some point with RK or DID chains (and one other manufacturer that I forgot)

Boys and girls....any quick input here on this matter regarding DID and other brands and tensile strength

If you ride your busa gently as I usually do, does this lessen the chance of a chain snapping?  In other words would 9,000 lb tensile strength be good for folks that don't go over 120 and zero to 60 in 2 seconds all the time and don't do burnouts?

Johnny cheese had a post a few months back saying how weak the OEM chains were and that he had boxes of OEM chains that snapped.  I believe many on this forum have replace their OEMs at some point with RK or DID chains (and one other manufacturer that I forgot)

Boys and girls....any quick input here on this matter regarding DID  and other brands and tensile strength
If you honestly ride your bike like you say you do, then you will probably not have problems but IMO it is cheap insurance to replcae the chain. I believe my new chain is a DID but I cannot remember the model number.

Back