BlueGauge or HID Problem?

BlueHaya

I'm outta here!!!!
Donating Member
Registered
Anyone had any problem with the ballast from a HID causing some interference with wire to their gauges?

Today I rode my bike the first time with the HID and about half way through I noticed the RPM's seemed lower for 70mph than before. I rode for a while longer and then noticed my gas gauge was way past full and stayed there for the whole 70 mile ride. Then I knew something was wrong.

When I turn on the key all the gauges cycle, but when I started the bike the gas jumped to past full and the tach was lower than actual, it would hover around 500 then sometimes it would just drop to 0 and stay there unless I gave it gas.

I came home and took it back apart all wires and plugs are good. The low-beam ballast it next to my wire bundle and I am wondering if it is causing some type of frequency problem?

If now one else who has a newer bike,blueguages and added the HID is not having a problem I will need to remove the HID and reinstall the oem lights to see if there is still a problem. That would suck.

Any ideas would be appreciated

Just try moving the HID ballast, ignitor and etc away from any other wires and go for a ride! There is a good chance of the HID parts causing the problems you described. Also check that the plug is all the way in on the rear of the gauge clusted!

If you shift the bluegauges from hi to low (using the switch) it can cause your gauges to get a little funky. Mine did this right after I installed the bluegauges. I contacted Scott about it. He told me switching that back and forth can throw the gauges off a bit. I put mine on bright and left it that way, no problems since. I have HIDs in both lights so I have 2 ballasts up there. No probs.

Don

(USN05LE @ Mar. 11 2007,18:39) If you shift the bluegauges from hi to low (using the switch) it can cause your gauges to get a  little funky.  Mine did this right after I installed the bluegauges.  I contacted Scott about it.  He told me switching that back and forth can throw the gauges off a bit.  I put mine on bright and left it that way, no problems since.  I have HIDs in both lights so I have 2 ballasts up there.  No probs.

Don
That is a possibility also. When I was installing my HID I moved my switch from the air tube and did play with the switch while I was doing it, but I did not move it after that. I will keep an eye out for that also.

I have not completely taken it apart yet, but was doing some testiing. When i first started it everything seemed fine..rpm's seemed normal, gas gauge normal, but when I turned on the brights.....bam tach dropped straight to 0. and moves up only when throttled. Turn it off and back on and the tach is at 500 rpm and moves as throttled.

Looks like I will be removing the highbeam side to see if it has an issue.

Took the highbeam side off and put oem bulb back in. Gauges were still kinda wacky, I turned it off and unplugged gauges then replugged them and let them cycle. Restarted and seemed good and did not drop the tach to 0 when I turned on the highbeam.

I still do not feel that they are 100% I will work with them for a little bit more and of they keep screwing up I will take off the lowbeam side and give it a try.

Check the battery it sounds like you have a voltage drop when the high beam is turned on.

I had a similar problem with LED tailight bulbs, when the high beam was turned on the bikes charging system dropped to low to maintain all of the electrical components and then the voltage/wattage came back up in seconds.

Unfortunately the bulbs would not reset until I turned the key off and back on.

I want to try a new battery but haven't gotten to it yet.

Stupid question, but are you 100% sure you fully seated the connector on the back of the gauge cluster?

I have also seen weird things like this happen on cars, when the ground to the motor wasn't connected well to the frame. Not sure if this is the case, but i'm throwing it out there.

I'll check the battery as well.

I checked and rechecked the plug on the gauges. Then I pulled it off again and looked just to be sure.

Thanks for all the help fellas, I will keep working on it.

(BlueHaya @ Mar. 12 2007,16:13) I'll check the battery as well.

I checked and rechecked the plug on the gauges. Then I pulled it off again and looked just to be sure.

Its the same symptoms I had, what other electronic devices do you have that aren't stock.

That includes PC3, LEDs, anything?

(heavybusa @ Mar. 12 2007,17:00)
(BlueHaya @ Mar. 12 2007,16:13) I'll check the battery as well.

I checked and rechecked the plug on the gauges.  Then I pulled it off again and looked just to be sure.

Its the same symptoms I had, what other electronic devices do you have that aren't stock.

That includes PC3, LEDs, anything?
The only electronics I have are bluegauges and HID. The rest is stock.

I had no problem with them until I put on the HID.

When I first turn on the bike I hear a snap on the lights before the tell tale whine they make as they warm up.

I pulled off the highbeam and moved the low beam ballast to the right side and moved my bluegauge switch to the left side.

After I did all of that I went ahead and installed my GiPro. I wanted to wait until I got the gauge thing figured out but also wanted to do it while I had it apart.

I will try to ride some tommorrow if the rain holds off and see if all is well. If it is, I may have a highbeam side for sale.

Funny, BrendanP has a 2006 and I have a 2006 - both of us have bluegauges and the same HID's... no problems. Not sure what the issue is. Let me know if you need something.

I also have that same problem with the High beam pegging out my fuel guage when I hit the switch. I've only tried it twice because I'M still have Radiator issues.

I have my low beam ballast on the left side ram air duct and my high beam on RTair duct. My battery is 4yrs old so I don't know if that the problem or not. But every time I start my bike my gauges get erratic. I will try to investigate further when I'm done figuring out my other problem.

I have the same issues with the high beam. I'm gonna move it to the other side. I've pm'd george and he's working it or checking into it.

I would move the ballast. I moved mine because it was to tight by the wire bundle.

Back