Blue Ridge Parkway North to the end?

dk55belair

Registered
We are thinking of doing this in 2 weeks. Leave Friday morning and spend the night out, drive back Sat. Any feedback on where to stay(Hotels).

Any help out there?

Looks like about 375 miles each way........ouch. 2up too.

I am guessing we can average 40 miles per hour on the parkway with breaks and stops factored in. Might need to rethink this one.

Nice ride up there, but very long on the Parkway worrying about sticking under the Rangers radar~!~

We are thinking of doing this in 2 weeks. Leave Friday morning and spend the night out, drive back Sat. Any feedback on where to stay(Hotels).

Any help out there?

Should be great with fall colors at their peak. There are many places to stay, go to their web-site. Make sure you stop for many pics.

Blue Ridge Parkway - Home

We will do it as well, soon probably the same time. We stay at the Roanoke hotel in VA and go North the one day, then South the next day, while heading home to NC. Some great wineries if you are into wine tasting.

Just be careful, tons of deer up there, we hit one on our last trip. The lady at one of the wineries, (Chateau De Morrisette) told us a girl hit a deer and did not make it, two weeks before our trip.

Be safe and enjoy.

depends on what your fancy is but near the bottom of the blue ridge there's Ashville NC, lake lure and chimney rock... grew up there, lot of window shopping and you have the Biltmore Mansion too.

depends on what your fancy is but near the bottom of the blue ridge there's Ashville NC, lake lure and chimney rock... grew up there, lot of window shopping and you have the Biltmore Mansion too.

We live in Asheville and will start the ride there. We might just ride 300 miles or something. The radar, leaf lookers and deer are already a discouraging thought.

Hey DK the man is correct about the deer there friggen everyware and for some reason the like the side of the road I think it's the salt or something because we did the trip from massachusetts to Skyline drive to the Blueridge to Deal's gap and back. 2100 miles in 12 days. 2 days to do the Blue ridge is a little optimistic though. You don't want to speed and there are a lot of overlooks you will wan't to stop at and maybe eat a picnic lunch so to rush through it is not wort it Take aan extra day off work and take your time. Boone NC is a great place to stay all the restraunts and hotels you need just book the hotel because there is not much along the blue ridge and you don't want to be stuck in fall with no room. also plan your fuel there is not alot of gas stops so top off every chance you can I ran low a few times.

Steve

There was a post that referenced a link/article from 'Tales of the Dragon' or something like that. It talked about hotels and restaurants, etc along the Parkway.

Sorry I thought you said 2 days not 2 weeks. 2 weeks you can do Sky line drive as well
which I would highly recommend. If you have never been to Deal's gap start your trip there
Its a blast There are a bunch of things to do off the blue ridge and if you go to the Skyline drive make your return trip through the Shenandoah Valley it's awesome this time of year.

Grew up 10 mins from Syline Drive....be very careful...watch out for deer, bear and tourists enjoying the fall colors. They ride around with their head up their :moon: so far they dont pay a bit of attension to motorcyclists. But enjoy the ride...its some of the most beautiful views on the east coast...I miss it every day!!!:beerchug:

I must give 2 thumbs up for Hwy 348 and 180 was ok, but 348 was a blast. It's near Helen Ga.
I agree 348 is a blast. It's also called Russell Brasstown Scenic Byway. The Goats on the Roof place just off 75A heading out of Helen toward 348 is pretty cool also. I passed by it and had to turn around thinking I didn't see what I just saw:rofl:

Goats on the roof.jpg

Last edited:
When are you doing this? If things coincide I may like to meet-up with you around Front Royal Va. and head south with you a bit. Maybe as far as harrisonburg.

We left last Friday, but decided on the Helen trip instead. Might wait until spring to do the entire parkway. Let me know if you do ride and maybe can get some riding in with you.

I missed the goats on the roof, we went to other direction to Helen

I did the parkway southbound in two days back in '06, over Memorial Day weekend. We camped at the first campground in NC, and ended up in Cherokee the evening of day two. We got lucky with the rangers, because there were several remarks about how fast "those two dudes" were moving coming up on my buddy's radio and we saw LOTS of bikes pulled over getting return invitations.

Two days is ambitious for the entirety of the parkway, especially with the fall colors coming in. You're going to spend a lot of time bottled up behind folks barely making the speed limit. The lodge at Peaks of Otter is nice enough for accommodation, but it's probably booked solid for the fall foliage. Watch for people pulling out in the tighter turns near overlooks. They will do it every time, in my experience. No matter how fast you are moving, they're gonna try to get in front of you.

Last edited:
Back