Blue Ridge Pkwy late April early May, suggestions?

todd moyer

Registered
OK, we're planning our next tour for the late April / early May time frame. Our last big trip was from Western NY to Florida on 15 & 17 headed down then swinging west'ish to Deals Gap before making our way back north.

Fast forward to now and we're looking at again leaving Western NY riding south this time to the Blue Ridge Pkwy and them maybe following on the Deals Gap area again. We're looking for suggestions or tips. Comments and ideas are greatly appreciated.

Cheers - Todd

If late April, plan on hitting the Bash in Robbinsville!

We'd love to make it to an event but timing never works in our favor. I won't get back to the states until April 24th I think and it might be a couple / few day before we're on the road headed south. Trax luggage & brackets to reinstall, upgrade brakes, new tires, service and inspection before pointed in the right direction......

I wouldn't touch the Blue Ridge Parkway that time of year. 50s on ground level and you can still have ICE on the parkway. No speculation, been there, done that.

Bummer, the weather can be such a trick at that time of the year........ I know two years ago when we stayed the night in Robbinsville headed to the Gap and on north I was scrubbing frost off the bike in the morning and it was cold up on the mountain.

Maybe time to have a "Plan B" on the table. :banghead:

I'll take other suggestions for that time frame and touring down that way. I hate the Interstate and try to avoid it as much as possible.

Lots of traveling around back roads down here, just be aware of altitude changes. They are not your friend.

Obey the speed limit(45mph) or at least keep it under 60...if you don't know where to run to.
It's kinda hot up there, and I had nothing to do with it.:laugh:

Yeah we're set for cold weather / rain gear, the cold & rain are one thing and expected but I'm not really into anything freezing except maybe some frost in the mornings. The way it's looking right now we wouldn't be to the Parkway until the April 28th - May 1st time frame if all goes to plan.

I've been warned about the speed limit and high population of troopers. It's a consideration but I probably won't have the time to make a trip back down there for a long time so I might better take advantage while I can. It's one long stretch at a slow pace but it's not as bad as Skyline Drive with even a slower speed limit.

There are some good roads in the western part of VA. I'm supposed to be riding the Roanoke area with friends this summer. I bet Sixpack577 knows some fun rides in that area.

I do, the empty country roads around here are as good, if not better, than the BRP too.
Natural Bridge southwest to Roanoke on the BRP is a nice stretch.
Bedford county to Big Island has alot of great curves.
Roanoke itself is closer to Outlawbusa.
Mr8ball, 06+5bussa(who's on a '12 R1 now) nad myself are about 30 to 40 minutes away.

Back