Bike Parts Help

fstAZfk

Donating Member
Registered
Will be making the purchase 1st Week of October,  need some help deciding on parts, and where to get them.  

All parts will be on a 2002

PowerCommander ( 3R or USB??? which one? Why?)
A GOOD MAP
16t OR 42t ( which one?/ Brand? and why?)
Filter ( K&N or BMC? RACE or STREET? )
Pilot Powers ( or pilot sport??? ) front and rear
TRE or SMART TRE?
SpeedoHealer
Do i need stacks??

I am currently sitting at 159HP and 96TQ with pair removal and BDE GEN 3. Along with the above mods, i will be doing the small box mod.  I am looking to be between 170 - 180 at rear.  Is there anything else you can suggest? ( no power adders though )

Thanks in advance.

<!--EDIT|fstAZfk
Reason for Edit: None given...|1127156090 -->

I think with your bike you will need:

PCRIIIr - I don't know the exact difference off-hand, but I do know it has something to do with the connections.

16/42 Combo - AFAM makes some pretty good sprockets. I'd suggest getting both of them (the 16/42) instead of only one. That way, you can put on the other sprocket when you get used to the first one.

Filters - You can run the K&N or the BMC. Both are pretty alright. You can run a race filter, but I remember reading somewhere that the stock filter actually flows better.

Tires - You can run the Pilot Powers. Not too bad...they've had some pretty good reviews. If I was to go with a sticky tire, I'd prolly be spooning a set of Pirelli's on. But that's just me.

TRE/Smart TRE - Don't know the exact difference between the two. Hopefully someone can chime in here.

Speedohealer - Definitely.

Other: I didn't see a chain here...nor synthetic oil. DID 530 chain sounds pretty good. Synthetic runs pretty good...make things smoother.

Now as to where to get 'um, there's a bunch. You can check The board sponsors Street N Track or Solo-Moto parts. There's a bunch of others, but it slips my mind at the moment.

Hope this helps.
cool.gif

Will be making the purchase 1st Week of October,  need some help deciding on parts, and where to get them.  

A GOOD MAP
TRE or SMART TRE?
SpeedoHealer
Do i need stacks??

I am currently sitting at 159HP and 96TQ with pair removal and BDE GEN 3. Along with the above mods, i will be doing the small box mod.  I am looking to be between 170 - 180 at rear.  Is there anything else you can suggest? ( no power adders though )

Thanks in advance.

You should be getting a 3r WITH USB inteface... ;) The USB on the PC just allows you to connect more easily to the PC. They used to use a serial port only for PC connection...

The real difference is in PCII or PCIII; the PCIII will allow you to control timing and the PCII will not...

A GOOD MAP:

If you are trying to get that kind of HP, you are probably only going to get it going through a dyno tune.... Don't bother trying to tune yourself if you are looking for optimum results....

I went 16/40 on my setup and I liked it a lot...
biggrin.gif
42 will not be quite as quick as a 16... You would need about 3 up to make the 16 gearing...

Go with steel, NOT with aluminum sprockets... Aluminum sprockets just don't hold up at the track, plus they will last a lot longer....
biggrin.gif

BMC lets more through then K&N, so you MAY see a little better results with the BMC, although I didn't like the sound of a bunch of dirt getting through my air filter... BMC claims race only application, not for street, although I haven't heard anyone ever with any issues either way...
biggrin.gif

I personally like the M-1 200 MM for the back and M-1 front stock spec... I have tried the M-1 P(spec) tires, but I really don't care for the rear.... You only can get the rear in a 190 and not a 200... but they claim a thicker core on the p(spec) which is good for top speed...

No opinon on Pilots...
biggrin.gif

TRE or SMART TRE?

With a switched TRE, at least you won't have the idle issues and the choke will actually make a difference... ;) For the price and for the headache, I would go switched...

SpeedoHealer

Yup, I would go speedohealer for sure over yellowbox... More toys on the speedohealer...
biggrin.gif
THey are running pretty cheap at around 100 or so dollars... I get most of my stuff from Motorhead or Schnitz... Can't beat the prices a lot of times...
biggrin.gif

Do i need stacks??

No opinion, I never tried them...

Cloud

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

A GOOD MAP
TRE or SMART TRE?
SpeedoHealer
Do i need stacks??

Thanks in advance.
PC3R allows for timing adjustment, the USB doesn't. If i had known that before i purchased mine i would have gotten the 3R.

A GOOD MAP
This is a must, if you are running a BDE pipe then brock will provide you with a custom map for no cost. A good dyno tune will cost around $200.

Both if you weigh over 200 lbs and don't care about top speed.

I like the K&N but some people say the stock flows better if you keep a clean one in there.

I like the Metzler M1-P in the back and matching front tire.

TRE or SMART TRE?
TRE's are junk don't waste your money, they make your bike use the 5th gear map all the time and that makes 1st and 2nd gear run too rich.

SpeedoHealer
this is a must!

Do i need stacks??
I don't think that this will help you at this time, invest in a stock intake cam for the exhaust side or a BDE exhaust cam with APE sprockets. Good HP gain for the money...

With the PC3 and a good map you should get to mid 160's with that pipe and if you throw in the airbox mod, pairvalve removal and the exhaust cam you will be well over 170hp and maybe even close to 180 depending on how strong a bike you got from the factory...

Good luck, hope this helps.

id rather not comment on the above responses. some pretty silly things being said.

Scott, ya gotta ask yourself what you want to do with the bike. street riding? drag racing? road course on occasion? top end?

Thank you ALL for the input. I REALLY appreciate it. Keep it coming.

Cache, I have absolutely NO intentions putting the bike on the track. I want the bike to be an all around street bike for now. But i am a HP junkee ( i like to blow up mustang motors..
blush.gif
) so i want it on tap when i need/feel like it. My BIGGEST concern or issue is drivability and reliability. Hope that helps a little........

Man this is frustrating. I think the bike will be dynotuned at a facility 2.5 hours from here and they charge 225.

Thanks again, and keep them coming.
wink.gif

I know better than to go turbo. I dont wanna get too crazy, cuz your right.. i WONT look back. I have a history of starting small, then going overboard.
blush.gif

does sound fun though..
biggrin.gif

Will be making the purchase 1st Week of October, need some help deciding on parts, and where to get them.

PowerCommander ( 3R or USB??? which one? Why?)<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>PCIII USB model easier conections</span></span>
A GOOD MAP <span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>Brook gen 3 map is fine or tune for the bike</span></span>
16t OR 42t ( which one?/ Brand? and why?)<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>RIDE IT FIRST THEN MAKE UP YOUR MIND</span></span>
Filter ( K&N or BMC? RACE or STREET? <span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>BMC</span></span>
Pilot Powers ( or pilot sport??? ) front and rear<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>RIDE IT FIRST THEN MAKE UP YOUR MIND</span></span>
TRE or SMART TRE?<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>YOU PLAN ON DOING ABOVE 184MPH OFTEN??</span></span>
SpeedoHealer<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>De4pends on your gearing</span></span>
Do i need stacks?? <span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>RIDE IT FIRST THEN MAKE UP YOUR MIND Best stacks is stock</span></span>

I am currently sitting at 159HP and 96TQ with pair removal and BDE GEN 3. Along with the above mods, i will be doing the small box mod. I am looking to be between 170 - 180<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>YOU WILL NOT HIT 180hp with these mods</span></span> at rear. Is there anything else you can suggest? ( no power adders though )

Thanks in advance.

<!--EDIT|Ninja Eater
Reason for Edit: None given...|1127188334 -->

Here's my suggestion:

(Go usb cause you will only get a 3r,if you find one used or sitting on someone's shelf.Dynojet is discontinuing them.

A GOOD MAP (Any of us Brock dealers can get you a map or you can go straight to brock yourself and if you got his system,you can get into the owner section and gain lot's of knowledge about his products others will never tell you or know about.)
I use only Pbi Sprockets cause they are made from 7075 T6-51 Aluminum,and have stronger tensile,yield and shear strength than today's steel sprockets and are lighter than steel and are made from Full thickness aluminum also.

(Bmc Street if your not gonna race)
TRE or SMART TRE?
Save your money buy a speedohealer you won't be drag racing or doing land speed passes.

SpeedoHealer
(Great product for gear changes,easy to set and hookup and you can call any dealer and get tech support.)

Do i need stacks??
(Save your money for some wax cause you won't be racing,buy some good chain wax or tires....

To get 180 you will need some drop in cams or a dual intake cam mod.

Just my .0000002 cents.......
let me know if i can help you.

sully mentioned that the TRE is crap, i understand these components are "contraversial" and all. So if i opt NOT to purchase a SMART TRE, what can i do to improve the LOW end driveablility issues... I.E. jumpy/jerky its ANNOYING!!!

Well this may be the official list...

BMC RACE
STEEL 42
PILOT POWERS
EK 530
MUZZY FAN
PUIG/ ZG SCREEN
ICON MANIC HELMET
SPEEDO HEALER

should be right around 1200 Bucks.  Will be dealing with Street & Track for everything but the speedohealer.

I will be doing a small box mod and trying a brock/ boardmember map. If not happy with that, then i will get the bike Dyno Tuned.

Doing the cam swap is not out of the question, still debating that one.

Thanks for all your help folks, should make the purchase at the end of the month, and will keep you informed.

Scott

<!--EDIT|fstAZfk
Reason for Edit: None given...|1127240174 -->

Back