Being tail gated by drivers

That would be one FAST car if it is tailgating me. My usual survival riding technique when on the road is "no car passes me" because I am usually riding faster than most cars. In your case I would point to the car and motion for them to pass around you. Sometimes the visual que is enough to snap them out of whatever they are doing back there.

As far as throwing things. All I know if a biker throws something at my he just gave me a reason to run him over. You can quote all the hp and acceleration numbers you want. But the first stop you make because of traffic it's time for you to meet my bumper. When the police come and find the same items in your bag that is on my windshield they will probably understand.

I just begun doing something I read on this very topic in a another forum. I sit up slightly turn my left side reward and make the STOP Gesture like a cop ( Arm extended Palm Face the car) and to my surprise they back off. My guess is that 9 out of 10 times, drivers don't realize that they are to close to the bike. Whiles this not as satisfying as say chucking stones, it does seem more effective and I am willing to use it sooner and won't get me arrested.

Give it throttle. Anything agressive towards an auto must be well planned so as to ensure that u have a escape route. I have kicked off mirrors of people that have purposely tried to do me harm but make sure you can get away or it could turn out bad for you.Marbles and gravel will get you jail time around here and could cause an accident where someone unrelated could be killed. Bustin a mirror off it a vandalism charge. Throwing objects could be categorized as agravated assault, attempted murder, etc...

Now days I just crank her up. If a car can keep up with you on a sportbike, there's somethin wrong with your skilzz:whistle:

Another good one is to reach inside your wasteband and adjust the 9mm a bit. People get it right away.

Last edited:
When I was a new car driver I found that I got closer to motorcycle's when following them, than I did when following cars. And, even still I find it easier to follow a motorcycle because you "can" tailgate them, and still see everything in front of you, and them.

I don't tailgate them, after I realized wow, I'm way to close. I keep a great distance because they have more to worry about than I do in a car. But, a lot of drivers don't recognize what their doing wrong and they don't try to fix it. They also more than likely don't put themselves in the other situation.

Just really don't have a problem with tailgaters in cars or on motorcycles... but I have just pulled over from time to time and let cars go by... specially if I'm just out for a "Sunday drive" taking in sights and they're are trying to get somewhere.

Follow them. Advise them pull out cell phone take pictures of plates and they will think twice next time. In Colorado if you notify State patrol a roadrage complaint they send a letter to the owner of the challenging vehicle.
Posted via Mobile Device

very rare i get tailgated. lately ive been rideing at night. its cooler. and i own the road! no one out but me, a few drunks, and the cops, sherrif, and highway patrol.:whistle:
i uasually speed up a little, sometimes i slow down, on occation i pull over and let them get on down the road. would never throw anything at a car! a few of my friends have leashes on thier bikes and say they would slap a winshield with it, but i think they are just funny coonazz spedos. i do carry a gun in the tank bag but its for shootin out of control pepsi cans, praire dogs, and other targets of oppritunity (like maybe an ant hill or two), :laugh:not people!

I'll speed up and put distance between the car and myself, however if they attempt to turn it into a game I get off the road and let them go by and change my route.

Anybody have any tips for keeping people off your ass while riding? I usually just pull over and let them pass but I get some people who are withing 10 - 15 ft of my rear end while traveling at 65 mph. I am not a speed demo and where I ride, I like to enjoy the ride. I have thought of keeping a pocket full of 3?4" dia. ball bearings for strategic use but this willonly resut in a serious case of road rage.

I maintain the proper following distance from the person in front of me to make sure I have time to stop. When someone is tailgating me I add the distance he was supposed to have to mine, they usually just go around an move on. But I don't pull over there is another tailgater waiting for you to pull out..:laugh:

Last edited:
i roll on the throttle

+1 I'm on a Busa not a cruiser. What will 5 seconds hard on the throttle do for you? You have the ability to get out of the situation. You have to make the decision. My health and welfare has nothing to do with the law.

Friday morning I had a lady in a small SUV that was WAY too close, let it go for a mile or two then with any warning at all I locked my rear, big cloud of smoke looked back and watched her stand that thing on it's nose. After that she wouldn't get more then a 1/4 mile from me. I'm certain it put her heart in her throat and sprouted 30 gray hairs, most times I pull over but this was :laugh::laugh:

Remember, who has the right of way? THE ONE THAT HAS THE LEAST TO LOSE....

Any agressive act (thowing objects, slamming brakes, kicking mirrors, obsecne guestures, showing hardware, etc.) just might get you either run over or knocked off the road dead. Is that really the impression you want to give? Waaaay too many cagers out there drugged out/drunk/wound up/road raged...and you have the most to lose..

How about something simple that's already on your bike, your emergency flashers? It won't work for long, but will cause the driver following too closely to realize you are signalling "something is wrong" and they will back off long enough for you to either get out of the way, or find an opening to speed up and move over or on.

More than once, I've used my emergencies when approaching slowed traffic to let the people know behind me to back off (works good in autos also).

When I used to ride a carbureted bike, I would hit the kill switch, turn the throttle twice and hit the switch again. All that loaded up fuel would shoot a 12 inch flame out of my exhaust and they got the point!

Back