Being tail gated by drivers

Blanca,
It's the internet, mang.....everyone's Mr. Billy Bad Azz with cojones of steel :whistle:

I just do the turn around and look directly at them for a sec and give a WTF are you doing with the palm facing up and a shake of the helmet side to side...

I just do the turn around and look directly at them for a sec and give a WTF are you doing with the palm facing up and a shake of the helmet side to side...

Same here. When they see you turn around and stare straight at them, they usually get the point...
Posted via Mobile Device

Here's a question for any LEO's...given the scenario, what would be your action against the case given? You get a bike speeding, pull him/her over and they explain what happened...what's it gonna be ladies and gentlemen? Ticket, harsh verbal warning, warning, jail, or go after the alleged "tailgating vehicle" as it passes by during your traffic stop?

Last edited:
I always try to be nice at first by flashing my tail lights several times to indicate that they need to back off. If that doesn't work I pull off or speed up if safe. Around here 45 means to do 25 and I don't get that either. I am now considering the small rocks though. I mean tires kick up rocks all the time into my truck windshield. Great idea

Here's a question for any LEO's...given the scenario, what would be your action against the case given? You get a bike speeding, pull him/her over and they explain what happened...what's it gonna be ladies and gentlemen? Ticket, harsh verbal warning, warning, jail, or go after the alleged "tailgating vehicle" as it passes by during your traffic stop?

I am not a cop, but from past expierience it's a ticket anyway.

I am not a cop, but from past expierience it's a ticket anyway.

Agreed. Cops are trained to pretty much ignore the excuses and go solely based on what they have first hand witnessed. Besides talk to any cop and they can tell you that they have heard just about every excuse in the book.
Its never your own fault that you were speeding, right?

Not to thread jack, but has anyone takin' particular notice of driver gender for the tailgater? Around here most traffic violators are female (with all due respect to our female members) and anytime I've ever given 'em the 'Hello? Are you paying attention?' high sign seldom are the responses ever 'opps! Sorry!' Most are younger, usually on a cell phone, and come off as 'I own this freakin' road and anyone else in the vicinity.'

Did have an incident on the cruiser with more mature (sic) woman driver in a Lincoln. Tried tapin' the brakes, speeding up, slowing down, etc. Finally at a stop light, I turned around and gave her the 'what gives?' shoulder/hand shrug and she starts blowing me kisses! I'm thinkin' 'definitely not my type!' and pulled away trying to put distance between us. It wasn't until I reached down as if pulling something from under the seat she ever backed off and even then it wasn't enough to give me the confidence I could ride safely in front of her. Finally had room I could pull into the next lane and let her go around and she kept fruitin' out with the blowing kisses thing. Wished I could of held up a picture of a donkey so she could of found something to satiate this really weird desire of hers. :whistle:

Kinda trippy....???

I don't advise this, but a few years back I was riding my chopper on the north side of 1604 it was crowded and moving about 10mph over the limit. If anyone got too close they would back off right away, if I put my signal on the car behind me would back right off and let me in and even give me some room to boot. I was unbeliveable like everyone out that day was my friend. Once I met up with my friends one told me (dude you might want to pull your shirt back over your gun). A full size 45 in a small of the back holster seems to be more visable than a 3'+3' orange triangle. Before the hate starts It was not on purpose and the only time I have accidentaly printed in public. The moral of this story if there was one would be people don't care about you, but they do care about themselves.

Given the option i will always just roll on the throttle a little... mind you, im not talking drop 2, and nail it... im talking just a light roll on, probably not going even 10 over the limit... just enough to pull away and get out of the situation...

honestly, if someone is dumb enough to ride the ass of a bike, i dont wanna be close to them anyhow... and 99% of the time, a bike can find a hole to get out of the situation pretty quickly...

If that fails, i find a different place to be.... turn off, let them go, change lanes, etc...

Last edited:
i generally give a few good bites on my brakes for the obvious and if all else fails, torture them with an extremely slow pace. :whistle:

It happens EVERY ride I take and usually more than once. I just slow down, pull over and stop in a safe place and wave them on by. I try to stay within 5 over the speed limit because Ohio is a police state. There's cops crawling out of the woodwork here.!!
There's a basic psychology why cagers do that to bikes, mostly rocket bikes. The cager wants to prove how fast his car is and he figures if he can keep up with the bike he's really COOL..!!
A few times I've gone WAY over the speed limit just to see if I could get them to drop back and they stayed right on my tail.!!
Best thing is to pull over and let the @sses go on by.!!

Last edited:
I don't advise this, but a few years back I was riding my chopper on the north side of 1604 it was crowded and moving about 10mph over the limit. If anyone got too close they would back off right away, if I put my signal on the car behind me would back right off and let me in and even give me some room to boot. I was unbeliveable like everyone out that day was my friend. Once I met up with my friends one told me (dude you might want to pull your shirt back over your gun). A full size 45 in a small of the back holster seems to be more visable than a 3'+3' orange triangle. Before the hate starts It was not on purpose and the only time I have accidentaly printed in public. The moral of this story if there was one would be people don't care about you, but they do care about themselves.

when I first started reading I was wondering what part of SA you are in, people are some of the worst here. that is too funny though, guess a fellow CHL holder must have missed you, or been to scared to tell you may wanna cover up.:laugh:
just a lil ways from you by the way, over in New Braunfels.

When I was living in Florida, a buddy of mine was riding on a 35 mph 6 lane road. He was doing about 40 when a cop started tail gating him. He tapped the breaks a couple of times but the guy didn't get the point. He slowed down to like 25 and goosed it to 40 and the cop kept right up with him. Then he turned into a parking lot to let the cop by and the cop followed him in. Gave him a ticket for reckless driving and speeding.

The cop sure was embarresed when my buddies lawyer had the cops dash board cam played in court.:oh: Judge through the case out.

I heard that that particular cop eventually got fired because he had a history of reckless behavior behind the wheel of his patrol car.

Exactly what I do. If they don't get the hint, then they get the 1 fingure salute. They usually figure it out then.

If someone is tailgating I try to increase the distance between me and whats infront of me. I cannot control how the tard behind me chooses to drive but by increasing the amount of area I can control in front of me I can give them more of a warning if I need to stop.
I am really not brave enough to try and challenge someone in a car by braking infront of them, I mean really who is going to win in that situation???
I have heard of the ball bearing thing too. They are just tailgaters and bad drivers that doesn't mean I want the to get hurt. However, I would laugh if I saw it happen :laugh:

In the end I think it best to just let them pass, I have took off from them but only to find that they catch up a few miles later when I am back down to my cruising speed. Kinda made me feel stupid for wasting the gas :poke:

i ususally drop my speed 20 mph or more when someone tailgates me. then when they pass, on goes the brights and on their ass i go! :laugh::laugh::laugh:. if they try to follow me... try... they wont catch me :thumbsup:

Anybody have any tips for keeping people off your ass while riding? I usually just pull over and let them pass but I get some people who are withing 10 - 15 ft of my rear end while traveling at 65 mph. I am not a speed demo and where I ride, I like to enjoy the ride. I have thought of keeping a pocket full of 3?4" dia. ball bearings for strategic use but this willonly resut in a serious case of road rage.

need to rig up a windshield wiper motor with the pointer shooting straight out the back and filled with transmission fluid, i've thought about this many times but just haven't put the effort into bothering with it:thumbsup:

Back