Bead blasting rotors, has anyone?

turbobusa2000

Registered
Has anyone bead blasted their rotors before or had someone else do it for them? I will be doing it at some point this winter. Galfer recommends it at least once per season. Anything I should look out for?

I did my stockers and powder coated the centers (they were gold)... did not notice anything positive or negative.

only for painted areas...

I would NOT bead blast the friction area.. all you will do is saw up some good pads during bedding and stand a good chance of smoking the rotors..

I made this error a lot of years ago and it puts far to rough of a finish on the rotor..

if they are already done, sand them down a bit with some 200g to smooth them out..

What media is Galfer suggesting you use? walnut perhaps? (never tried that) possible that the alloy galfer uses will allow the bead blasting but I would be awful careful about it and the bedding process... What benefit are they saying it provides? (maybe they want the pads to wear a bit faster? :laugh: )

Last edited:
On the last page of the galfer catalog under a section for specs and maintenance it says that they advise rotors be blasted once per season. I just wondered if anyone else had done it. I think I might call them, for further info.

proprietary high carbon rotors:

All brake rotors tend to build up brake pad compound material over time. Pad build up embeds itself into the disc and can retain
heat which promotes disc warping. To prevent this from happening and to ensure your pads always brake on good and clean
rotor surface, we recommend getting your discs bead blasted at least once a year. If you are racing or use the bike for heavy
sport use, you may need to do this more times during the year. Call us, we can help with this procedure.

have never seen this before... thanks :) will need to do some more reading on this practice and see what prompts this service..

after we smoked a set of rotors on a honda, I went back to sandpaper.. perhaps the rotors on the honda were just too cheap of a material...

Last edited:
Back