Replacing Brake Rotors on my Chevy Truck

Vonderbach

Your AD here!
Donating Member
Registered
Anyone have exerpience buying new rotors? I'm wondering if it's a bad idea to buy cheap rotors online and install them myself? The dealer wants $100+ per rotor, but i can get some online for $30 each. I'm really cautious when it comes to important things like brakes, so I'm trying to get opinions before doing anything.

Anyone?

On my performance cars, I always bought powerstop rotors, but if you want cheap, check out autozone or another parts store, I never buy parts from a dealer. Is that all you have in your area. Order them from Napa online.

I have NAPA and Autozone plus a few others. But I wonder, even if they have a cheap alternative, is that worth trying? I have bought cheap brake shoes before and they last 15,000 miles, so I know better on that. I'm just wondering what kind of risk I'm taking with cheap rotors.

Do you need new rotors or can you just have the old ones turned, ( not sure thats how it is spelt ) Ive never had to buy new ones just had the old ones turned.

The rear can be turned, but the front are shot...warped beyond repair.

Blanca, I know what you're saying....and you're telling me what my gut tells me. I just wondered if anyone had any experience to the contrary.

I wouldn't skimp especially on front rotors. I've bought a few sets from Autozone/Advance whatever. Seems like they're buttery smooth for about the first 800~1k miles then they start pulsing (warping). You never know where they're coming from and what kind of cheap metal they've used. Next set of rotors from here on out will be proven and reputable rotors (ie: brembo, powerstop, wilwood etc...). Nothing peeves me more than to buy something and have to replace it a month later because it's JUNK. Rotors will last a long time if they're good quality. IMO they're worth the extra $$ to avoid the headache.

VB if GM is anythinglike Ford they have less than 5 or 6 warehouses in the country.
Anyone and everyone gets em from the same place.
Whether ordered online or at dealer.
Heck I as Mgr at Lincoln Mercury ordered some window motors online cuz they were less than absolute cost at our store ?
Go figure that one !

I have a 2003 silverado...I have bought rotors + pads from local parts stores...the dealer parts guy actually turned me away because they charge so much, but I needed the guides that the pads locate in...and even then the guy gave me them for free. If it is the first time doing them there may be some sealer / paint holding on the rotor to the plate behind it. I had to beat it with a short sledge hammer to come free...it was a pain, but I hate paying way to much for things I can do myself. Likley a local shop will match prices if you take a print out to his store + you support local business then too.

I don't go with the cheapest. I go with what will work for the type of driving that I do. Brakes are just one thing I do not go cheap on.

2007 Chevy Avalanche

DO NOT BUY CHEAP ROTORS!!!! You wouldn't believe how many rotors I've replaced because people bought cheap stuff and they warped after the first hard braking. Yes, the GM stuff is fairly expensive, but I promise you, you'll get what you pay for. I've seen factory pads and rotors on a silverado with 100,000+ miles on it, and they were still in good shape. Get them either from NAPA, Car Quest, or GM. DO NOT get them from autozone, advance auto, o'reily, or anywhere like that. Well, unless you want to get them turned or replaced again in a month or so, that is.

Back