Back Protectors Discussion - which do you use, and which is best?

mike1180

Banned
I have a Teknic full leather suit and Joe Rocket mesh pants and jacket.
Both have a foam back protector in a pocket inside the jacket portion.
It is about 3/8 inches thick and shaped to form to your back.
How good are those, and do you need more than that for the street?
Does anyone use anything else to supplement the OEM ones?

Attachments

• back.bmp
    228.4 KB · Views: 475
Last edited:
Good timing, I'm sure Tufbusa will speak up shortly I was just asking him about this. He's convinced me that I need to wear a back protector with my new suit (and here I thought the suit was adequate protection!)

Something like this perhaps?

I know I know off to the corner! :laugh:

Attachments

• KRistina Aguilera.bmp
    917.3 KB · Views: 827
I wear an Alpinestars Bionic protector. It has armor for the chest, back, elbows & shoulders & a kidney belt. I love it & it has been crash tested. I had my custom Syed suit made to wear it underneath. It fits under my Winter suit too. You can unzip the upper & just use the back protector & kidney belt. I wear it every time I ride.

Alpinestars%20bionic%20jacket_310x310.jpg

Last edited:
I actually take the flimsy back protectors out of my jackets and wear ICON field Armor back and chest protector, I like it for the price $100 and the level of protection and it fits perfectly and is comfortable.

Check out Impact Safe T Armor @ "impactarmor.com"

I wear this stuff and so do most of my race friends. It's also worn by the likes of Nicky Haden, Tommy Haden, Colin Edwards, Troy Corser, Matt Mladen and the list goes on. It's a bit more spendy than the ones you buy off the shelf but it's taylor made for YOU. Each unit is made by hand to your specs, has your name imprinted and form fits to your body when it warms up. Pretty cool stuff!

You don't really need it on the street,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, unless you crash! Anything is better than nothing and I'd recommend everyone wear back and chest protection of some sort. It's my theory, "it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"! :beerchug:

Check out Impact Safe T Armor @ "impactarmor.com"

I wear this stuff and so do most of my race friends. It's also worn by the likes of Nicky Haden, Tommy Haden, Colin Edwards, Troy Corser, Matt Mladen and the list goes on. It's a bit more spendy than the ones you buy off the shelf but it's taylor made for YOU. Each unit is made by hand to your specs, has your name imprinted and form fits to your body when it warms up. Pretty cool stuff!

You don't really need it on the street,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, unless you crash! Anything is better than nothing and I'd recommend everyone wear back and chest protection of some sort. It's my theory, "it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"! :beerchug:

Thanks Tuf.
I look at it being like a parachute, life preserver, seat belts etc.
I don't use those things because I know I am going to crash, but just in case I do, I would rather have them.

Joe Rocket Speedmaster leathers.....I removed the pad from the inside back pocket and replaced it with spine protecting solid armor (fit right in). Also I have that back hump.
No such thing as "too much protection".
Raydog

MF1A1311.jpg

I like the Icon but being tall (long wasted) it doesn't fit well. Thanks for the link to impact armor.

Look into T Pro armor by Forcefield. This stuff is CE rated to the higher level 2 (which states that only 9Kn can pass throught the armor). Also, the 4 layer shoulder and elbow armor is rated for a 100 jouel impact and only lets 35 j through the armor. Forcefield is about to release its latest back protector that only lets 3.5 Kn through the armor, best rated stuff ANYWHERE.

Take a look on the net. Google CE rated armor. There is a lot to learn on this subject.

Look into T Pro armor by Forcefield. This stuff is CE rated to the higher level 2 (which states that only 9Kn can pass throught the armor). Also, the 4 layer shoulder and elbow armor is rated for a 100 jouel impact and only lets 35 j through the armor. Forcefield is about to release its latest back protector that only lets 3.5 Kn through the armor, best rated stuff ANYWHERE.

I also have the T Pro back and chest protector from Forcefield. I like it, molds to your body's shape and doesn't hinder your movement.

I'm given to understand that "hard" armor isn't so good. Rather than flexing with the road surface hard armor creates wear areas on the leather due to its unforgiving shape.

All I can say is Please do your homework on this. When you do need the armor pricepoint won't be the most important thing.

I'm given to understand that "hard" armor isn't so good. Rather than flexing with the road surface hard armor creates wear areas on the leather due to its unforgiving shape.

All I can say is Please do your homework on this. When you do need the armor pricepoint won't be the most important thing.

preventing "wear" sports on the leather in a crash is the least of my concerns, keeping mine spine in a condition that allows me to walk upright is my concern.

Wear and like this...

knox-contour-mb-l.jpg

I ordered me the knox race version and its on the way. After my last accident (STREET) I was catapulted off and landed on my back, left (or right - cant remember) butt cheek. If I had landed an inch to the center I woulda damaged my tail bone BIGTIME. I was in full armor protection, came out without a scratch, but I never wana ride without prtecting my tail. Spine and back protectors are good, but one which extends all the way down is PERFECT!

Back