Aquarium

Thanks for the info...having a tank like yours to look at is worth the effort..colors are brighter and the range of inhabitants is wider...I forget about the coral and a bunch of other things, for lack of a better word.

Do not forget lots of live rock....
smile.gif
after you get settled in again, I will put you on the list for one of my RBTA for your clown if you like.. what kind of sump are you running?

Great resource for Salt tanks is ReefCentral.com

Anthony Calfo and most of the other pros are over at Marinedepot.com in the forum now... great guys to work with

Thanks. Having knowledgable resources makes things alot easier. Fortunately for us, we have a shop 10 miles from the house that specializes in marine aquariums.

she is real shy here lately. the tanks are a pain to keep up. i wouldnt do it again thats for sure. but i love the guys i have.

bone

cool2.JPG

Nice Mandarin... shame so many get them without knowing what they need.... that fish is an amazing array of color for sure but they need around 100G of tank with at least 100lbs of live rock (they are specialized feeders and unless trained or you get lucky, they only eat copepods) I had a mated pair in my 220 for about 3 years.. Also the cheapest fish I ever bought.. (well maybe Ugg my Pj cardinal was cheaper
smile.gif
)

Marine tanks have been an addiction of mine for a lot of years (and cost me more than my bikes)

That goby was one of the few fish I was every happy to get rid of.. I mean he was cool and freindly but he made a terrible mess of the tank as he had to sift every grain of substrate.. buried corals, rocks etc and just kept things in shambles... Now to get rid of a pistol shrimp I have that does the same thing....
smile.gif

This was my female Mandarin (no spike)
mandarin_fish_a.jpg

Sloppy Goby
Ampha_u8.jpg

Beware the Elephant ear mushroom Mr Clown... (this guy did not survive btw) Belongs to a guy I know in ATL

clownroom.jpg

I had a Mandarin in my first tank. It was a fussy eater, but then again most everything else I had in that tank was too. This time I went with simpler fishes. It looks like wifey was able to save the clown fish
smile.gif
The yellow tang, blue tang, and wrass didn't make it. The clown fish were laying on the bottom, but twiched a little when we went to scoop them out. She was able to nurse them back. We don't know about the coral yet since it hibernates for a few days after being disturbed. The worms are thriving in the toxic mix.

The Hawaiian feather dusters are pretty hardy animals... if they get stressed to bad they will bail on the tube and make a new one or they just blow their feathers... When they blow their feathers, you know they are starving (need to dose phyto). They come back with smaller feathers to feed hopefully on smaller but more abundant alages.. I have maintained singles in 24G nano tanks for over 5 years..

The tank seems rather large to have had an ammonia spike, sounds maybe more like an 02 problem if the pumps were down for a long period.. Ammonia spikes can be pretty transient in nature and so can come and go without being measured.. IF it was an ammonia spike, you might find that the surviving fish have eye damage (not uncommon for a survivor to be blinded)

Looking at the tank, if that is cyano on the rocks and back (red slime) then I would be more inclined to think it as an oxygen issue over ammonia.. it is traumatic to have a tank crash after years of stability....

I see the GSP just above the wrasse, what other corals are in the tank?

That's the only one. We were just starting to move to the corals. With the bio-filter gone, there is nothing left to process the ammonia. We had just just done all the levels on Saturday with a 10% water change. Everything was fine. Today, once wifey saw the tank was in trouble she measured the levels again, the ammonia level was > 1.0. We have green and red algies in the tank to help process the nitrates. The tangs would eat any other type of plants faster than we could plant them.

You should keep nori for the Tangs if any survived. The GSP will likely be fine, may hide for a week or more but they are like a weed...(certainly a cool one, I really like them myself)

The 1.0 if accurate is certainly bad news... (.20 can be fatal to some fish and .5 is scary high)

Nitrates are not going to be much of an issue with just the GSP, however if you go with any SPS or other stoney corals, you will need to keep them at 20ppm or under. More live rock will help with that as the algae will hurt the coral as much as the nitrates normally. (over grows the polyps) Depending on the rock (porosity) you have, 1 pound per gallon of tank capacity is suggested minimum and some of this really heavy stuff can be double that. I use old reef bones and is very light stuff with a lot of porosity.

My SPS tank had around 15G worth of frags when I sold it all out about 2 years ago. I had it up and stable for about 5 years without any issues at all.

A good quality skimmer is a MUST have if you are going for any SPS corals and you will need the rock too... It gets exponentially expensive as you get better livestock... Total system cost for that tank (220G) was around 25G's

I did find that the cheaper skimmers (needle wheel) work just fine. No need to blow $400 on one with skimmers like the Corallife 125' or the 250.. they work great for under $200

Patience is the biggest factor... nothing good happens fast in a marine tank
smile.gif

Oh and if you have not already... Invest in a decent RO/DI unit (75G per day, not the 100's)

Looks like everyone's got a Dory
smile.gif
My Dory is doing great...looks great Dennis...

My tank's going through some changes lately and I'm thinking it's in need of more money and time *sigh* I don't have either
laugh.gif
but I do love having the reef tank...

bowdown.gif

Mr Bogus, we only have a 46g. the mandarin is the coolest fish, the first one jumped out. we had a crab, i forget its name, but it scared 2 fish out. we have since put a egg crate top on. both mandarin's have been quite happy. that sloppy goby, i think its a dragon goby, anyhow he doesnt mess up the sand near as much as the diamond goby(that the crab scared out of the tank too).

question, how do you get rid of a fish? we have a square back anthias(sp?) that bullies all the other peaceful fish. is there some sort of mini spear gun or something? without disassemlbing the whole tank to catch him it's impossible.

bone

I would be worried about the Mandarins and the Anthia, the Mandarins "can" learn to eat prepared foods but it is not the norm. If the bellies are shrinking up (they should look fat) you need to find them new homes or work on getting them to eat prepared foods.
The Anthia is probably not very happy with the swimming room. When cramped, they can get aggressive..(same with tangs)

Dragon Goby is what that goby is sold as pretty often, not really accurate but common. Banded Goby is a bit more proper common name but "Dragon" sells better.

Getting rid of fish is not too hard. Chasing the thing around the tank wont work very well.

There are some fish traps but the Anthias are pretty savy..

My choice of methods is to drain the tank down till they have no where to run to. Less stress and only takes about 10 minutes. I have 35G brute containers I use for this and mixing water.

Another way is a "barbless" hook. It will not hurt the guy and is sort of entertaining, a bit of mysis or shrimp works as bait

Back