Aquarium

Well, we lost the wrasse, the blue tang, and the yellow tang. The clown fish survived with alot of tlc in a rescue tank. The coral and the worms weathered the storm just fine in the tank. We used a lot of chemicals to break down the ammonia and kick start the bio-filter again. The ammonia level is still up a little, but no longer at leathal levels. We're going to let the tank stabalize for a month before adding any new fish to it.

The ammonia will feed the nitrifying bacteria. If you used ammolock or some other inhibitor, it will knock your ammonia reading off and testing is not possible..

The high levels could have been caused by the die off of inverts etc when the 02 levels dropped.

I was looking at your substrate as well. It appears to be crushed coral and if you plan on keeping any other corals in the future, you may want to research the replacement of the substrate with something more along the lines of sugar grade aragonite. Reason being is that the coarse substrate holds a lot of "gunk" that leads to high nitrate levels.

You might want to pick up the book of "Coral Propagation" by A.Calfo The first edition is not to be had (well at a reasonable price now) I spoke with Anthony 2 weeks ago and the second edition should be on the shelves in the next 30 to 60 days if all goes as planned.

DSCN1965.JPG

a few of the corals out of my reef tank

DSCN1992.JPG

My Maxima Clam

DSCN1993.JPG

FireCracker Zoanthids

DSCN1844.JPG

Purpleheart emerald Zoanthids

DSCN1960.JPG

Some GSP and Cynarina

purpletang2%7E0.jpg

Purple Tang.. one of the few tangs that can stand less than a 120G tank