2nd gear slipping

ahhhh i see very nice, i was under the impression the dogs were the only thing that got undercut?

hey @Noon

sorry

but you will never achieve the knowledge here in the forum (like I did in 40 years, for example) - no matter how much you ask/write.

so you only have two (three) possible paths
- trying to do it (with manual) on your own and messing up so much that you run out of money very quickly.
- find a "teacher" (a very experienced mechanic), let him do all the work and give him full concentration! (look over his shoulder).

- start an apprenticeship as a mechanic (2-3 years)

My name and expert in the same sentence...lmao
But I will try to help however I may be able to.
Anyone who's had their transmission in pieces, rebuilt it and had it actually work as it should is an expert in my books.....

If it were me, I'd still be on my hands and knees in my garage with a flashlight and magnet trying to find that one little significant piece I dropped....

when i take off fast and shift from 1st to second its slipping into neutral . this is the only time I'm having this problem is shifting to 2nd. ive done some research and it sounds like I'm gonna need to have the trans undercut ?
so im just wondering what all will i need to do and replace? and about how much would this all cost me ?
im no mechanic but i think i could pull the motor myself as i am low on money atm .

also I'm having some knocking i don't know if this is related or not.. when in neutral at a stop is the only time when i notice the knocking. it goes away as i squeeze in the clutch but once i release i can here a rattle .
don't know what that's all about , would brocks clutch mod fix this knocking/ rattling ?
Automatic transmissions slip, ours don’t. Your description sounds like it’s jumping out of gear. You didn’t mention anything about the bike, which generation, mileage, stock clutch etc. I’ve read that some clutches have loose bolts that most can only hear while in neutral.

Please explain how a ‘standard’ transmission can ‘slip’.

It is during gear engagement, as the gears wear into a bad pattern, then slip, then need undercut to be fixed.
The clutch engagement is fine and unrelated, but the gears themselves are not.
The only known cause aside from abuse would be out of spec parts, or more likely the mix of parts at opposite ends of tolerances, as an abused transmission can still work fine, yet fail in a trailer queen/show bike.

Back