2nd gear slipping

Noon

Donating Member
Registered
when i take off fast and shift from 1st to second its slipping into neutral . this is the only time I'm having this problem is shifting to 2nd. ive done some research and it sounds like I'm gonna need to have the trans undercut ?
so im just wondering what all will i need to do and replace? and about how much would this all cost me ?
im no mechanic but i think i could pull the motor myself as i am low on money atm .

also I'm having some knocking i don't know if this is related or not.. when in neutral at a stop is the only time when i notice the knocking. it goes away as i squeeze in the clutch but once i release i can here a rattle .
don't know what that's all about , would brocks clutch mod fix this knocking/ rattling ?

First let’s get the nomenclature right. Automatic transmissions slip, ours don’t. Your description sounds like it’s jumping out of gear. You didn’t mention anything about the bike, which generation, mileage, stock clutch etc. I’ve read that some clutches have loose bolts that most can only hear while in neutral. I thought those were Gen2s but I could be mistaken. And the clutch (knocking issue)? may very well have something to do with your transmission jumping out of gear. I’d thoroughly check your clutch bolts before anything major. My Gen1 has nearly 82,000 miles and I’m still on the original clutch. It’s never jumped out of gear.

First let’s get the nomenclature right. Automatic transmissions slip, ours don’t. Your description sounds like it’s jumping out of gear. You didn’t mention anything about the bike, which generation, mileage, stock clutch etc. I’ve read that some clutches have loose bolts that most can only hear while in neutral. I thought those were Gen2s but I could be mistaken. And the clutch (knocking issue)? may very well have something to do with your transmission jumping out of gear. I’d thoroughly check your clutch bolts before anything major. My Gen1 has nearly 82,000 miles and I’m still on the original clutch. It’s never jumped out of gear.
Forgive me, it is. A 2005 , it’s got about 13,000 miles on it . Had roughly 8,000 when I got it . And I honestly don’t know if it’s a stock clutch or not . It has nitrous , a power commander , dyno jet etc. I don’t know much about it tho I’m fairly new. I’ve been meaning to have it looked at so I can know what I’ve got exactly ,just haven’t gotten around to it .

when i take off fast and shift from 1st to second its slipping into neutral . this is the only time I'm having this problem is shifting to 2nd. ive done some research and it sounds like I'm gonna need to have the trans undercut ?
so im just wondering what all will i need to do and replace? and about how much would this all cost me ?
im no mechanic but i think i could pull the motor myself as i am low on money atm .

also I'm having some knocking i don't know if this is related or not.. when in neutral at a stop is the only time when i notice the knocking. it goes away as i squeeze in the clutch but once i release i can here a rattle .
don't know what that's all about , would brocks clutch mod fix this knocking/ rattling ?

sounds equal to the issue a busa had last year -
i couldn't / wasn't allowed to repair the issue - the owner (an idiot and extremely suspicious guy) then had the busa repaired in an official shop - the gearwheels around the 2nd gear etc. were probably damaged and were replaced - according to the owner.

was "a bit" more expensive there than at mine :confused: :rolleyes: - they charge (as here in berlin usual) €120 gross per hour :shocked: (x 12-15 hours for the entire job, u need at minimum - strip the bike , take out the engine, open the gearbox, change the gears and put everything back)

Last edited:
sounds equal to the issue a busa had last year -
i couldn't / wasn't allowed to repair the issue - the owner (an idiot and extremely suspicious guy) then had the busa repaired in an official shop - the gearwheels around the 2nd gear etc. were probably damaged and were replaced - according to the owner.

was "a bit" more expensive there than at mine :confused: :rolleyes: - they charge (as here in berlin usual) €120 gross per hour :shocked: (x 12-15 hours for the entire job, u need at minimum - strip the bike , take out the engine, open the gearbox, change the gears and put everything back)
I'm gonna give it a try I've got a few manuals here - a Haynes and Clymer , however i am thinking about riding it as is and addressing this issue around October when its time for winter storage again... just trying to get an idea of what all i should do .
i read a few posts saying to get billet shift shafts , shift forks , shift drums , and gaskets while I'm at it ?

thank you, that'll be the first thing i try

I'm gonna give it a try I've got a few manuals here - a Haynes and Clymer , however i am thinking about riding it as is and addressing this issue around October when its time for winter storage again... just trying to get an idea of what all i should do .
i read a few posts saying to get billet shift shafts , shift forks , shift drums , and gaskets while I'm at it ?
@sixpack577

I remember not long ago you had your GSXR transmission in pieces, that makes you the resident expert here to guide this process by proxy...

I'd ride it again but hold pressure on the shifter when going in 2nd gear and see what happens ?
Also when going into 2nd gear does it fill smooth and sharp or hard and doesn't fill like it's in all the way ?

I'd pull the clutch cover and take a look inside for any bolts loose, is there a spacer between the case and clutch cover ? Who knows maybe there's a lockup clutch in there.

Last edited:
I'd ride it again but hold pressure on the shifter when going in 2nd gear and see what happens ?
Also when going into 2nd gear does it fill smooth and sharp or hard and doesn't fill like it's in all the way ?

I'd pull the clutch cover and take a look inside for any bolts loose, is there a spacer between the case and clutch cover ? Who knows maybe there's a lockup clutch in there.
i have not been on it since late July last year but as far as i remember it felt smooth , just jumped into neutral under heavy loads. it only seemed to happen when i took off / raced it .
ill have to check for the loose bolts, and I'm not sure on spacer ? I'll go and take a look now.

i have not been on it since late July last year but as far as i remember it felt smooth , just jumped into neutral under heavy loads. it only seemed to happen when i took off / raced it . ill have to check for the loose bolts, and I'm not sure on spacer ? I'll go and take a look now.

AA7A9080-E0EA-4FB3-A8C8-73AAFB8BBF29.jpeg

58E3AD2D-4134-4120-BA53-AA1AD67F7444.jpeg

there doesn't appear to be a spacer between them

Back