2012 hyperbike shoot out

So...Kawi has worked, what, 10 years on a bike that would beat the Busa, and they finally built one? Comeon, Gen III!

Having owned all 3 I can say it would be really hard to pick a winner, all have there strengths and weakness.

I got a chance to ride the new ZX14 and while I was impressed in some areas I was also kind of disappointed in others...Ride quality, transmission, brakes, and handling are excellent..One thing I think the magazines do very little justice to is just how light it feels just picking it off the stand and sitting on it...Riding it is the same, very light feeling....

All that said I was somewhat disappointed with bottom end thrust...Below 4,000 rpm it is actually pretty tame and that is where most normal street riding is done....While it pulls well and probably better than most 1000cc sport bikes it is still lacking....It doesn't have that instant pull you'd expect for the increased displacement...I though that with 1441 cc's this thing has to pull super hard off the bottom but it doesn't so it's pretty much hold the throttle open and let the tach sweep past 4,000 rpm and enter ballistic territory before hard acceleration occurs...Yeah I know, the dyno charts are saying mega numbers and the magazines are gloating but they are not telling you the full story..Sure, throttle to the stop tach sweeping through the entire rev range it's the fastest...But that doesn't tell you how it rides going into a corner on the street at 20 mph in 2nd or 3rd gear and putting in a quarter or half throttle input to accelerate up to speed...Or top gear at 3,000 rpm twist the throttle to accelerate from 60 to 70 mph...The ZX14 is actually decent in that area but there are better STREET motors out there that provide entertaining amounts of thrust even under normal riding circumstances.

Back