200 mph gearing ??

xspower

Registered
Hello , I just pruchased a 02 busa and was woundering if anybody could tell me what gearing i would need to go 200. I plan on spraying a 20 -30 shot at loring speed runs this weekend. thanks for any help ,mike

18/40 is popular depending on tire size. It's gonna be close with a 30shot. Depending on your size, tuck, etc.. good luck! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Since you are spraying, you might even take a 39 or 19 with you. I know several people were out of gear at the last event running 214mph with that setup and wish they had more. Good luck and let us know how it goes... :thumbsup:

Since you are spraying, you might even take a 39 or 19 with you. I know several people were out of gear at the last event running 214mph with that setup and wish they had more. Good luck and let us know how it goes... :thumbsup:

thats good to know , thank you ,mike

What is your tire roll out. If you measure rollout with rider on bike at the pressure you will run I can give you some exact numbers.

What is your tire roll out. If you measure rollout with rider on bike at the pressure you will run I can give you some exact numbers.

that would be great ! i will mesure tonight. The bike has a battlax tire on it now but I still have to mount a shinko u3 on a spare rim i have so i will mesure both run outs thanks ,mike

p.s the bike has extensions on it (65"). What are your thoughts on running extened vs stk lenth for speed runs ?? I have draged quit a bit with a zx10r and the extesion on the 10r work ok but i am not sure how this bike is going to handle at high speed with the extesions on it

longer wheelbase is more stable at speed but shorter wheelbase puts more weight on the rear tire. These bikes are stable at speed with the OE wheelbase.

I'm ont sure which Shinko tire is a U3 but shinko's aren't the prefered for LSR. For drag racing that's a different story.

Last edited:
longer wheelbase is more stable at speed but shorter wheelbase puts more weight on the rear tire. These bikes are stable at speed with the OE wheelbase.

I'm ont sure which Shinko tire is a U3 but shinko's aren't the prefered for LSR. For drag racing that's a different story.

yeah i was thinking it wasn't the best tire but this will be a one time thing then it will strickly be on the drag track

If that tire isn't rated for 186+, won't they shut you down after you break that speed? I don't know, I'm asking.

over 200 you sign a tire waiver
if you are only making one pass with the brand new shinko you might get away with things. Multiple passes may tear the tire up.
An old or low speed rated tire may fail tech.

I wouldn't run a shinko if it were my bike. The tire temps and expansion on a 1.5 mile course is going to be higher. You are asking for trouble in my opinion and you won't be able to launch any harder anyway with the unprepared surface.

Stick with the factory OEM Battlax, they have been proven 200+... :thumbsup:

thanks guys for all the help , I did the roll out with 30 lbs in the tire . Does that sound like a good tire pressure or should i change it, sorry for all the ?? I just never have done any speed runs

What is Gen I redline?
I don't remember. I will provide a couple of different options if anyone knows redline.

Assume trap RPM (true, not indicated) of 10,500. I don't know exactly what a Gen I will turn before it hits the limiter.
Assume Tire rollout is 76.5 and 0% - .5% slip (OK assumption if you are running small shot)

Columns are front sprocket, rear sprocket, gear ratio, and max speed at 10,500 rpm.

19 40 2.11 216.9
19 41 2.16 211.6
19 42 2.21 206.6
18 40 2.22 205.5
19 43 2.26 201.8
18 41 2.28 200.5
19 44 2.32 197.2

Remember, if you choose more gear than you can turn, you won't get to your maximum speed. 18/40 is a pretty sure thing though.

I'll be up at Loring this weekend tuning for a buddy since the EX cleaned me out this summer.

at 10.5k actual you're already on the off side of the OE cams. The spray may help compensate for this. I've been calculating .7% slip on the top end but that is Maxton not Loring.

Draco - curious, do you have a different slip between Loring and Maxton?

Back