19 tooth front sprocket

Ya but Kevin isn't stock AND spraying nitrous (not to mention 5-miles to accel)... :laugh:

He's actually still running the 19 and (I believe) a 41 on the street and drag strip. Though he bogged off the line, he pulled the top end at the 1/8 to 120mph on the slip...I figured that was pretty decent for that type of gearing.

We had the track to ourselves...fun day, if you didn't see it I posted a vid

OK, I had the 40 tooth sprocket put on. Bike runs much better for a street driver. Still shows 6th gear - 50mph - around 2500 rpms. This has improved first gear a lot. It has in no way over geared the bike for fast running on the freeway and general quick street riding. It might be the perfect street set up. When I hammer it in second gear it really growls with the two brothers! Sounds awesome!

Well, it works great guys. I hammered it a little in first and it still takes off like a raped ape. Much nicer gearing if your not racing. Also, it was a Sunstar factory gear from our sponsor Honda east. They are the factory lightwieght steel sprocket. I would not hesitate for a street bike!:cheerleader:

Good news indeed for those of us that ride the busa as a commuter 90% of the time. I will be doing this mod during my next tire change, that is for sure.

I got to do a full ride on the new gearing, it works great. The bike is not over geared. 6th gear is perfect for freeway riding. So, if you are a street rider, don't be afraid of the 19/40 sprockets. I can run it down to 10 mph before I must pull in the clutch. Really it rides normal. I add 5mph to whatever speed the speedo says so I don't get a ticket. :cheerleader::cheerleader:

I upped a couple of teeth on the rear sprocket of my Ducati. Most riders do, particularly on the midsized Ducs, because they're geared so tall. I can see the reasoning behind changing sprocket sizes on the Busa for drag racing, but isn't the standard setup pretty much perfect for street riding?

I was looking at a 19/40 combo and hoping to get a 220+mph run .

Got-Busa? , what did you use at the mile and did you run out of power , rpms, or road?

Some guys had questioned me about using the new gears for highway riding. It works perfect. In 6th gear at 80mph on the speedo (probably 85 to 87 actual) the rpms read 4200. Perfect fast cruising rpm. Great gas mileage and still enough power to step it up into warp speed! I just did a 120+ mile freeway ride and it was a BLAST! Took her up to 9000rpm in third and it really scoots.:thumbsup: Kept going past 100 with ease of course.

I really like the Gen 2 motor. It will pull from 2000rpm up.:bowdown: The thing is just so good at getting around quick, we need new national speed laws! YEEHAW!!:laugh:

I am not comfortable with changing the front sprocket myself, but can do the rear. If I went with 18/40, would that be a mistake or improve my interstate riding which is 90% of my riding.

Sous , if you go up one in the front it would be the same as going down 2 in the rear , try a 38

If you leave the front sprocket stock, go with a 38 ot 37 tooth rear sprocket. 38 would probably do the trick quite nicely! I had mine put on by the local dealer.

I was looking at a 19/40 combo and hoping to get a 220+mph run .

Got-Busa? , what did you use at the mile and did you run out of power , rpms, or road?

Lots of factors but I ran 18/41 to go 200+ and that's good for 206-207ish. I would think 19/40 is to tall unless you are making 300rwhp+?

I am not comfortable with changing the front sprocket myself, but can do the rear. If I went with 18/40, would that be a mistake or improve my interstate riding which is 90% of my riding.

In that case, stick to a 41 because if you go 18/40 on a Gen-II you will have to shorten the chain. It's really not hard to change the front sprocket, if you have an impact gun it doesn't take long at all... :thumbsup:

They do make a 20th front sprocket for the gen1.

They make it for the Gen-II also but I'm not sure if it will fit stock. You might have to massage a few things to get it to fit...

I think I am going to go with the stock front and a 38 on the rear for my style/use of the bike. As suggested by Got-Busa I will get a chain tool and a new chain and shorten the chain by a couple of links to make it fit right.

This should bring my RPM down about 400-500 cruising on the highway, which will save a lot of cash in the end. Will make the ride that much more comfortable as well and bring the RPM down to around 3400-3500.

Well, it works great guys. I hammered it a little in first and it still takes off like a raped ape........

I'm going to take your word for the raped ape reference as I have no actual experience on how a raped ape takes off....:rofl:

I think I am going to go with the stock front and a 38 on the rear for my style/use of the bike. As suggested by Got-Busa I will get a chain tool and a new chain and shorten the chain by a couple of links to make it fit right.

This should bring my RPM down about 400-500 cruising on the highway, which will save a lot of cash in the end. Will make the ride that much more comfortable as well and bring the RPM down to around 3400-3500.

Dropping 5-teeth on the rear is going to be a BIG change. I would be careful with that choice since you will shorten the chain a lot. That's like going to a 20/42.....should be great for the HWY but first gear is going to be LONG...

Dropping 5-teeth on the rear is going to be a BIG change. I would be careful with that choice since you will shorten the chain a lot. That's like going to a 20/42.....should be great for the HWY but first gear is going to be LONG...

Thanks for the input, this is why the org is a great place. I do 90% of my riding on the interstate and figure that when I get into the twisties I will be able to gear down a bit and get the RPM's up where I like them.

im running stock front and 42t rear and its great for my day to day rideing ,, still has the power to walk away from just about any other bike , even when its just a 6th gear roll on !

but to each his own !

Back