It pays to be able to remove your fairings quickly !

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
So State Farm estimator was here and after only a quick look at damage on both sides she starts writing estimate to 'repair' the fairings ?
"oh yes a select certified shop can repair and paint those and make them look like new!" she says ?
She's allowing a whole forty bucks an hour for labor....whoooo....hoooo !
I ask her if she noticed that the clips on both fairings that hold inner trim are broken off and that's why the gap between them is there ?
"well when it gets to the shop and they take them off we will come inspect them again and make an addendum" she comes back with .
I'm like I'm not gonna be happy with anything else other than new panels, this ain't right and I don't want to wait two weeks for another inspection !
I wanna get my bike back to new asap.
So I ask her if I take them off and show her that clips are cracked would that make a difference ?
She says "yes if you want to start taking the bike apart it can help but I'm only gonna be here for another ten minutes or so !"
:laugh:
Heh heh heh....little does she know I'm the fairing removal MASTER !
She's out in her van doing her thing and about 7-8 minutes later both panels are off and I go get her. The look in her face was priceless :)
She came back in and took pics and did see that indeed clips are cracked and now I'm getting new fairings instead of Maaco fix and replace ! :cheerleader:
So study up boys cuz it pays to be able to strip that thing like your first girlfriend !

first, what a witch "They'll need to inspect it, blah blah blah":laugh:

good work Saiid, guess they dont know you very well, yet...

In today's economy I can't blame her for not wanting to , her words 'overwrite' anything but it did kinda piss me off. In the end I got a 'fair' estimate . It's not enough to have dealer do it so I'm stuck doing the work myself . No biggie but getting lienholder to endorse the check won't happen until the bike is repaired? After it's fixed I have to take it to dealer or certified shop so they can give me a statement saying work was done correctly ? Then and only then will lienholder endorse check ? We're only talking about replacing the fairings , bolt off bolt on! It ain't rocket science. So guess what that means ?
It means I've got to purchase all the parts myself up front out of pocket , fix the bike and then have it inspected :banghead:

thats just stupid. I guess its just the way things work now. Well, at least your able to do it yourself and come out good at the end

Yes I'm lucky I can fix it myself cuz amount they gave me is most def not enough to have dealer do it .
Nor do I want my bike sitting at a dealer for two weeks getting more screwed up !
I'll be lucky if in the end she's back to new looking and I'm done.
That's all I want .

If i where you since by your post, the adjuster clearly doesn't know motorcycle's, I would have requested and other adjuster!
There is no need for you the consumer to have to take your bike apart, for the adjuster.
Or the other thing you could have done, is have your local shop deal with statefarm. They would have written the estimate before the adjuster had even got there!

i hate state farm. every time ive had damage with allstate its get some estimates and get it fixed. none of this adjustor nonsense.

If i where you since by your post, the adjuster clearly doesn't know motorcycle's, I would have requested and other adjuster!
There is no need for you the consumer to have to take your bike apart, for the adjuster.
Or the other thing you could have done, is have your local shop deal with statefarm. They would have written the estimate before the adjuster had even got there!

I took the bike to the local dealer and they gave me an estimate which estimator says was not 'insurance price' but much more .
Your right my only obligation is my $500 deductible but I don't want to wait for weeks while State Farm and local dealer who's a bunch of nerds to work it out . Not only that but I spoke to three people at the dealer as well as some online all said the new fairings don't come with the foam cushions/heat shields and those have to be ordered separately so I had dealer include these on estimate. SF Estimator says no way fairings are that much and don't come with them. If when you receive the new fairings and they aren't already on there call us so we can come see them and if your right you can order the foam and we will give you another addendum check !
I feel like a skirted poodle jumping thru hoops just to be made right !

So study up boys cuz it pays to be able to strip that thing like your first girlfriend !

Now see this could be interpreted as someone going slowly cause some guys are very nervous at first.

Others, ahem. Like to go right in and rip em off :laugh:. Which is what was intended for that statement. But the interpretation could be done both waysss :whistle:

I haven't had any issues with State Farm...my first busa was dropped and they did a good job of estimating. They never mentioned painting anything...just replacing. If the bike is paid for you can get the check and fix it yourself for much less then the estimate, as long as there isn't any hidden damage to bite you. Sorry to hear about your wreck...

The cushions and heat shields are seperate...the panels come painted and stickered only. Two pieces for each side...

When I had my accident back in December, the at fault party's insurance (Farmers) required that a reputable shop do the estimate. It was approved and a check was sent to me in my name only, I opted to repair the bike myself (cosmetic only) and was able to keep a nice amount in pocket!

I haven't had any issues with State Farm...my first busa was dropped and they did a good job of estimating. They never mentioned painting anything...just replacing. If the bike is paid for you can get the check and fix it yourself for much less then the estimate, as long as there isn't any hidden damage to bite you. Sorry to hear about your wreck...

When I had my accident back in December, the at fault party's insurance (Farmers) required that a reputable shop do the estimate. It was approved and a check was sent to me in my name only, I opted to repair the bike myself (cosmetic only) and was able to keep a nice amount in pocket!

My bike is financed and State Farm will only issue check to dealer/shop or me and lienholder. Lienholder will only endorse check if I can prove thru statement from a shop that work was done correctly. I tried to get her to believe me when I told her foam comes separate and even asked her if she called three places and they all told her same would she believe them . She said 'no . I would rather underwrite than overwrite'
So now it will be another week or so while I wait for foam to come in after I prove her wrong ! :banghead:

My bike is financed and State Farm will only issue check to dealer/shop or me and lienholder. Lienholder will only endorse check if I can prove thru statement from a shop that work was done correctly. I tried to get her to believe me when I told her foam comes separate and even asked her if she called three places and they all told her same would she believe them . She said 'no . I would rather underwrite than overwrite'
So now it will be another week or so while I wait for foam to come in after I prove her wrong ! :banghead:

Mine has a lienholder too, I still make monthly payments. As far as I know the finance company was never notified of the accident, I may be wrong however. I am with SF too so their procedure may be specific to their company!

Mine has a lienholder too, I still make monthly payments. As far as I know the finance company was never notified of the accident, I may be wrong however. I am with SF too so their procedure may be specific to their company!

Pretty sure that's what it is . Just SF policy .
SF rep asked me on phone if it was financed and i said yes :banghead: . Just my honesty bone kicking in. Anyone else could have said no and gotten away with it but my luck it would have gone south and i would have gotten screwed in some way . SF told me it's their job to protect lienholders collateral I.e the bike and only two check options are what I mentioned above . Made out to dealer or me and lienholder !

That sucks... you will have to play there game now. Just make sure you take it to a good repair place and don't let them miss anything. If your gear was damaged claim it too.

That sucks... you will have to play there game now. Just make sure you take it to a good repair place and don't let them miss anything. If your gear was damaged claim it too.

Really it's only the skins and nose that need replacing . Along with the stator cover , footpeg and levers I'm ok . There is nothing really to miss so I am confident I can do it myself . Just sucks I have to jump thru a bunch of hoops and spend my own money initially . I wouldn't trust the dealer to do something this simple . They scratch wheels and tech took almost forty five minutes to take fairing off for first service. Now that I know how 'easy' it is to remove them I realize how much of a dipstick the tech who worked on it first time was.

The nose is a lot of switching over things but easy also. I have a scratch on my frame from the dealer installing the LoJack, that they said hey didn't do :banghead: I don't like anyone working on my things... It is hard to find people who take pride in there work. I am sure you will have her like new again soon...

Back