ZX12R Impressions

G

I'm currently riding "my wife's" VFR800.. :)
but I have money down on a 929RR and a ZX12R...My Kaw dealer is also a Suzuki dealer and he said when the 12 comes in..if I prefer the Busa riding position, he'll put me on a 2000 Busa instead...no wait...

I'm 6'4" and 200 lbs....From your impression, which bike will suit a tall skinny guy like me?

To me, if the ZX12R is slightly faster...I really don't care...I want the bike that fits me the best...I like sport-touring....Skyline Drive is about 180 miles away...I like to ride out and still feel fresh enough to ride several hundred more once I get there.

The VFR is very comfortable, but with a pipe/remapping...she's only putting out 108 rwhp :(

That's fine for my wife, but I'm an acceleration freak!

ps- I know the 929 won't be comfortable, but for a $100 deposit, I secured the first one from my Honda dealer if I choose....so if it turns out to be a monster...it gives me another option..

[This message has been edited by Scott (edited 21 October 1999).]

You got one thing right, the 929 will be a monster. Producing 150 bhp stock, and only wieghing in at 300 something pounds, that will be a NICE bike. If the ZX-12 is faster, it will only be like by 1 mph or so, If you plan on modding your bike, I would go for the busa, If you want to go through turns at high speeds, that 929 will smoke a busa, and a zx-12, the ZX-12 will have no room for mods, and I bet people wont get the attn. from people as much as the busa does. Its all up to what you want, all three bikes are completly diff. machines.

I bought a Busa for two-up riding with my wife, don't like to be down on power. Got it down to 488 w/o fuel, needs windscreen, bar risers and maybe a seat to be comfortable, but it's not expensive to modify, very comfortable, handles well with two aboard, and the long wheelbase [probably longer than a ZX-12] is very stable at any speed. 2cents.

ianfila--Where did the 463 lb come from? I ordered a Red ZX-12 and the brochure says 476 lbs. I hope your number is correct. The Brochure makes a big deal out the ramair design and even refers to the Sport Rider article--Kinda tacky I thought.
It has been VERY DIFFICULT to get information on this bike.
I was assured though it would be lighter than BUSA, which is odd because of what I just posted above from the brochure??
I also was told quicker and faster guaranteed, which it is or I will get my $1000 back.
Bike looks better in their brochure and the ultimate test will be when the show comes to Chicago in Early Feb.
Bob

It seems likely to me that the ZX12 will possibly make more horsepower but less torque than the Busa. That's where size does matter! And ram air is no help at lower speeds. It took the Busa to make me part with 10 grand for a toy and the ZX12 is very uninspiring to me. Now the Honda 929 may be another story-much more interesting than the ZX12. Ducati should be worried. After owning my Busa since last May, I still am impressed at the overall design of the bike. They really got it right(except for the kickstand...). I could really care less about drag racing or top speed(although it makes for good conversation!)-I like zipping around and ripping through curves-there's NOTHING like the drive of the Busa out of a curve.

The RC51 is heavier than the 929RR due to the stronger frame intended for SuperBike racing and the V-twin motor.
Dollar for dollar the 929RR will be a better street bike for most. 432 lbs. dry the RC51 will weigh with 130 HP. $20,000 + will get you a HRC race kit which can bring the power up to 170 HP at the crank and drop some lbs.

The 929RR will weigh 432 wet 1/2 tank of gas. and have 150 HP. Look out R1. The 929RR is Very High on my list--waiting for magazine testing.

By the way some magazines claim the BUSA to be 515 lbs. dry weight (December Sport Rider). Do not be suprised if the ZX-12 comes in 20-25 lbs. lighter wet. + shorter wheel base to help out in the turns.

Bob

Fit and finish better than the Busa? You mean like those cheap, thin plastic upper fairing covers (on each side of the tank)? The 12 looks like Kaw cut some major corners on their fairing plastic to me.

Sat on a ZX12R at Daytona yesterday, my impressions are that it is definately lighter taking it off the side stand, i dont know if it had any fluids in it though! More comfortable riding position for my 5' 8'' size, smaller pegs higher up and further back for track use, nice wide bars and good fairing, feels very flickable. The overall fit and finish is better than the busa except the guages look very cheap! It felt more comparable to my R1 than my Busa! FYI the weight listed was 463lbs, different again from the other sources. I also sat on the new zx9 and it didnt feel very different from the zx12 in weight or riding position.

I have not seen a ZX-12 in person, though I think it is a sharp bike from the pics I have seen, it would have to be something very impressive (more then a little faster or quicker) for me to think about giving up my Busa. The Busa is the total package, awesome power, comfortable enough for 400+ mile days, and weather I am leaned way over in a curve or at speed, the thing is rock solid stable. Now don't get me wrong, the thing is not a wife (there is no till death do us part), just the best girl friend I have ever had. As soon as a better one comes along I will dump the old hag, but right now she is treating me right, and I feel pretty confident she won't have to pack her bags for a while.

Paul

my impresion of the 12 is, if it took two years to design and perfect i would think that the bike would be not as cheap looking, with more better of a paint job than one solid colour, i mean come on that does not look like a bike that took two years to build and design. it looks as if they just slapped it together. this is just my point of view though!

maniac

Bob - the weight (463lbs) came from a printed, laminated document hanging from the handlebars of the bike.

Scott - Based on your height, weight the zx12 will be a better fit.

FYI for people interested in taking passengers, keep the busa, the stepped seat and raised passenger footpegs on the zx12 look uncomfortable for passengers!

Motoboy - just my opinion about the fit and finish, to each his own.

FYI on a fast track, i think the zx12 will beat a busa, R1, cbr929. It really did feel like a good track bike, based on the weight and way it moved very easily from side to side. I had just finished a trackday at daytona on my R1 and was very tired but felt very comfortable on the zx12. I was impressed and may sell my r1 for the zx12!

I also set on the 12 today and it feel's like a feather off the side stand compared to my busa. It had gas in the tank, how much i don't know. But i will tell you the green is ugly, my choice is the red one. They also had the red & blue busa,s at Daytona. One other thing the can on the 12 is very big, like the rear tire

I thought it was supposed to have a 200 rear tire? Does it measure more than 200? The Busa rear tire specs at 198 mm.

Roaddog,

What do you do?

Spend every waking moment eyeballing this site for the ever-so-slightest negative comment pertaining to another bike/ZX12? There has got to be a better way to spend your time. If you see me post a negative comment on a ZX12 or any other bike on a website dedicated to that bike, you have permission to castrate me.

Just one more reason why I stopped posting to these boards. Just as some interesting discusson occurs someone gives birth to a cow and gets all upset. Grow some gonads boys.

Back