Yates has been fined, apparently

Haywood

Registered
March 08, 2004

Suzuki press release

American Suzuki Motor Corporation (ASMC) today announced that Team Yoshimura Suzuki factory rider Aaron Yates will be sanctioned for his actions at the season-opening round of the AMA Chevrolet Superbike Championship in Daytona Beach, Fla., on Saturday, March 6, 2004.

According to ASMC, Yates acted in an unsportsman-like manner while representing Team Yoshimura Suzuki. His personal conduct has resulted in ASMC levying a $25,000 fine against Yates.

“I understand the frustration that Aaron was feeling,â€￾ said Mel Harris, vice president of ASMC’s Motorcycle/ATV Operations. “This was the second consecutive year where he would have had a podium finish at the Daytona 200 if circumstances hadn’t intervened. Despite that frustration, cooler heads must prevail in professional racing situations. We at Suzuki feel that the fine is appropriate for the conditions.â€￾

so who fined him...the AMA or Suzuki? In my opinion, Yates is a putz...as is Mladin.

Mladin is fire on wheels (even though he is a putz) and Yates if he didn't have bad luck he wouldn't have any at all. Chris

That sux
wow.gif

Guys,

The $25,000 fine was from Yosh/Suzuki. The AMA announced today that the are fining Yates $5,000 and revoking his pro racing liscense for one race - Fontana. So that will be the first 2 races with no point. The AMA also said that they would reduce the fine to $2,500 if he enrolls in an approved anger mangement program.

Kent

it looked to me like yates caused that wreck and did act unsportsmanlike and deserves what he gets like any thing else in the world poop happens it dont mean take it out on the first person you can blame he took a chance on a bad pass and it bit him and cost him his position now the actions he took will cost him a lot more and i say good for him

I must have missed this. What did he do? I didn't get to see that event (don't get speed vision or anything like that - basic cable - I am never home).

i had a chance to hang out with him during the rain out at sears point last year;and i gotta tell you that he was one of the most genuinly cool people that i have ever met.i saw him chillin up on one of the hills over looking the track,walk over to him so i could just shake his hand and wish him luck;and he started a conversation with me that lasted about an hour and a half.he seemed pretty mellow.he talked to me like i was one of his friends instead of some fan,he asked me more questions than i asked him! i dunno....he just seemed like a real cool,down to earth cat.

Hmmm. That is weird. So is he cool or is he a prick? Or maybe just hot headed on the track?
he does have a reputation as an aggressive rider;especially when passing lapped traffic,plus he was in 2nd place at the time.and you know what its like when the competitive juices are flowing......i'm not saying that what he did was ok,but...it's ok when nascar drivers start accidents;hockey,baseball,football,etc....we see this more often in other sports and it is glamorized.parents beat up little league umpires and each other in front of their children...let he who has never flipped the bird on the freeway cast the first lifetime suspension
all i can say is that i met the guy,and he was way cooler than what was required;of course i have met alot of pro moto racers , and they have all been friendlier than any of the other sports stars/entertainers that i have met...exept steve young,that guy is freekin hilarious,super cool

Maybe he's a decent guy with that just lost control... He screwed up, tries to blame shift with his display after the fact and is going to pay for it. I mean Pro-racers are very much like fighter pilots, they have to hae a certain "I am the best" attitude otherwise they are also rans. But sometimes this comes across as arrogence. Maybe he was just having a bad day, I think the fine is valid, and hopefully he can still pull it out for the Suzuki team.

I used to be a real fan... now I am not sure...

Yeah I love to watch Yates ride, he slides the bike out of every corner but he has pulled some boneheaded moves in the last few years. Laying down in the middle of the track to get a red flag, knocking Aaron Slight out of a race, ending Eric Bostrom's season last year. Fania did take a strange line, looked like he was going to run wide and let Yates have the inside when Yates was already going outside and they just crossed. It was an unfortunate incident for both of them but Yates was completely wrong by attacking Fania and his apology was not an apology at all. If Fania had a back injury or something more seriously Yates could have really hurt him.

Back