Winter storage

legbuh

Registered
Here in MN it's getting close to storage time.

On my past couple bikes I've had an issue with Mice finding their way into the airbox and making a mess.

With the busa, is it a good idea to plug anything to keep this from happening, or is the ram air w/ screens on them good enough to keep the vermin out?

Thanks!

I don't know if it is possible to plug everything to prevent them from nesting. I have had problems with them in the past, and they are amazing climbers and can fit through th smallest opening. They preferred the under-hump area on mine, an chewed through my signal wires. I ended up just leaving rat poison all over to gt rid of them. Here's my post from back when I had problems:

My dog sleeps next to my busa, he thinks it's his. Man or beast would be advised to stay away. Sounds like you need a watch cat! LOL

Watch Cat..........I like it!
biggrin.gif

you can always use live traps so you can set the little mouse free, or through the trap in water and drown the little ba$tard!!!!!
evil.gif
of course i wouldnt know about that

I have watch cats -- plenty of em too -- no mice but little paws prints all over my car and the bike

my little brother had a problem with a mouse in his vstrom..

had a rain suit in there that got shredded.. didn't hurt anything else though.. I try not to let mine sit too long with out atleast being started wiggled around a bit.

It's amazing what mice can get into.  I live in the country and every fall they try to make their way in.  Keep a bunch of baited glue traps in your garage or better yet make a big circle around your Busa with them!
smile.gif

Still, I'll take mice over cats anyday!

Back in early March we had a few days of really warm weather after brutal cold.  Get home from work and walk in the front door and I notice the slight smell of death.  Open up the door leading to the garage and it's worse...cool at least it's not in the house.  I moved the air compressor, table saw, you name it looking for that damn dead mouse.  Couldn't find it.  
mad.gif

Next day was beautiful, sunny and 80's where just a few days before it was snowing and in the 20's.  Pulled the BLACK Geo Storm out into the driveway and took the Busa out riding all day.  Got back and that smell was still lingering even worse.
mad.gif

Put the Busa back in its parking spot and go to pull the Storm back in.  As I back up I notice a big oil spot on my new paver driveway.  Now I'm pissed that my perfect Geo sprung a leak after 15 years and it stained my new pavers.
Pull the car into the garage and when I get out the stench just hits me!  Keep in mind this is a black car that's been baking in the sun all day with temps in the 80's.  I take a closer look at that oil spot and uh oh...it red!
wow.gif

Popped the hood and I about puked.  Big azz gray cat got stuck between the engine block and firewall.  It was at the point of "leaking".
That ####### was wedged in there so tight I thought I was going to have to remove the intake manifold.  I didn't know what to do as the smell was so bad I had to keep running back to catch my breath.  With two cloudy eyes staring at me I grabbed the head and pulled...oops, head popped off and was now dangling by a few strands of flesh, not to mention fur floating around everywhere.
Finally after battling it for a ½ hour I had it...grabbed it by the back and my hand went right through its body and wrapped around its spine like a lunch box handle.  One good yank and that sucker finally came out of there and took a flying leap into the field a good thousand feet from my house.

That had to be one of the worst experiences of my life.  So yeah, I'll take mice in my garage over cats anyday of the week.
laugh.gif

<!--EDIT|Turbo-Torch
Reason for Edit: None given...|1128563019 -->

mad.gif

one crazy story, but i have heard of similar stories. Cats love warm engines. i went to start up my truck one morning and just as i went to start it a cat went running from the engine compartment! 2 more seconds and the fan blade would have sliced and diced that F-N cat.
biggrin.gif

pellet gun always worked good for me....But then again I am a good shot. If you are not would advise against putting holes in your busa

i got a cat like that once and calling it a mess is an understatement man i had catburger everywhere

I have seen many a airbox filled with dog food or a nest in the airbox. It is amazing what they can do....

Back