Which bike?

Kirr

Registered
Hey everyone, I'm new to the community.
I'm trying to decide which would be a better bike to get, an '87 CBR 600F or an '86 gixxer 1100? I've never ridden before and plan on taking the riding courses once I get my motorcycle lisence. I'm 16 and live in Ontario, so I dont know if there would be a big difference in insurance between the two (I already know im going to get raped.. but how much?)
Those are the only two bikes Ive found in good shape so far, the price for the CBR was $2700 canadian obo, and the guy with the gixxer wanted $2500.
I've been reading posts here for a while and it seems the general consensus is that its easier to learn on 600, but since im still in school and only make decent money during the summer would it be better to get the gsxr1100?
I also wouldn't be able to afford all the safety gear as it is, so I convinced my parents to pitch in that part
smile.gif

Thanks, Aaron

<!--EDIT|Kirr
Reason for Edit: None given...|1120062946 -->

Get the 600 or better yet a 250 I'm serious get some experience under your belt before you buy a sport bike. even an ols 600 can do well over 100 mph and make sure you have someone who knows check it out first for Good brakes, handling, fork seals in good shape, no water or rust in the tank ... long list of what to watch for. Get some good gear, not a $50 helmet either ... And definately take a riders safety course.

Welcome to the world of 2 wheels
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|Hawaiibusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1120063106 -->

Easy one the 600, learn to ride and be a good rider then look at something else if you feel like it. I learned on a 250 then a 600 it has made me a much better rider, I use my mind and not something else. Just because I'm on the busa it doesn't mean I always have to go fast. I do not need to prove anything, nothing is more important than pulling into the driveway at the end of the day.

Easy one the 600, learn to ride and be a good rider then look at something else if you feel like it. I learned on a 250 then a 600 it has made me a much better rider, I use my mind and not something else. Just because I'm on the busa it doesn't mean I always have to go fast. I do not need to prove anything, nothing is more important than pulling into the driveway at the end of the day.
Perfectly said
beerchug.gif

not a $50 helmet either ...
go with the 600..

and maybe move up a few years.. i've seen 99 gsxr600's priced at 3,000..

just a thought.. keep shoppin.

oh.. and here is a nice $60 helmet.. Snell2000/DOT approved. I've got one.. not quite as nice as a $400 shoei.. but they both passed the same tests.

it's not normally that cheap.. but it's a 2 yr old design, and is on closeout. Obviously not a big seller.

I picked one up just to see what I thought about AGV helmets, and it's a pretty good all around helmet.

There.. may save ya a few bucks, and still keep your noggin as protected as it's gonna get with the current safety ratings.

Good luck..

good example. my friend (hes 24) has been wanting 2 get a bike. i went with him to sit on some bikes (sportbikes) 2 see what he liked. anywho, he was dead set on getting a new gszr-750 as a first bike.. and hes never riden before. i told him no and get a 600 as a first bike and take it easy. after a few good arguments i just said fine, do whatever. well, fastforward to last sunday. he passed his MSF course *learned on some honda 250* and now he realizes a 750 is WAY to much and even a new 600 will be alot of power.

try to find a used SV-650S. Great little bike, V-motor, not too much plastic and lots of bandwidth. Its a super beginners bike, but also one that you can really push hard when you know what you are doing.

Friend of mine has one and he already scraped off one of his pegs, his shift lever and ruined a good pair of boots leaning over in the curves (and that was just one road trip!). He leaves me and my 'Bus in the dust every time it gets really curvey (we ride together a lot in the Alps and in the Dolomites in Northern Italy - tons of twisties and hairpins). The top end is not much over 100, but anyone can ride a bike in a straight line, and you won't be going anywhere near 100 if it gets twisty.

Its got enough low-end torque to be forgiving of beginners errors, but can really go once you learn how to drive.

Best of all, they are pretty cheap (new or used), and pretty popular (over here in Germany, at least) so it shouldn't be too hard to resell if you decide to "upgrade" to a sport-bike after you've got some miles under your belt.

Last but not least, take a look at what replacement plastic for a sport-bike costs. Keep in mind that that cool looking sport bike will look pretty bad if its got scraped-up, broken or missing lowers, and chances are good that you will drop it at least once while learning. The SV can take a drop and not look too much worse for wear. At least consider investing in a set of frame sliders, whatever bike you decide to buy. And don't skrimp on the safety gear. NOTHING hurts more than raw flesh cooking on hot asphalt (except maybe picking gravel out from under your kneecaps).

Good luck and welcome to the world on 2 wheels. Ride Safe!

Thanks for your input guys
I really wanted that gsxr, but I was thinking the same things you guys said and I will go with a 600.
Maybe I'll have one in a couple years
smile.gif
Im not done looking yet and probably wont be for a while so im hoping I can find something better than an '87 cbr.

<!--EDIT|Kirr
Reason for Edit: None given...|1120099322 -->

Back