Where do you fall in the stats?

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
That age-old stereotype about dangerous women drivers is shattered in a big new traffic analysis: Male drivers have a 77 percent higher risk of dying in a car accident than women, based on miles driven. These findings are from Traffic STATS, a searchable risk analysis of road fatality statistics by Carnegie Mellon for the American Automobile Association.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Story continues below advertisement

The findings
•Driver age at highest risk of death: 82.
A cautious 82-year-old woman is 60 percent more likely to die on the highway than a risk-taking 16-year-old boy, because the former is so frail. •Driver age with lowest risk of death: 40 and 50, a tie.

After octogenarians, next among high-risk drivers are young males, ages 16 to 23. Their fatality rates are four times higher than average. "They do stupider things,â€￾ said study co-author Paul Fischbeck, a Carnegie Mellon professor.

•Most dangerous vehicle: motorcycle.

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'> The death rate on motorcycles was nearly 32 times higher than for cars.</span>

•Safest vehicle: school bus.

School buses have a death rate that is one-50th that of average passenger vehicles. Larger vans are the safest private vehicles, with a death rate less than half the national average for cars.

•Safest driving day: Wednesday

The fewest deaths per mile driven are at 8 a.m., mostly because the roads are so clogged with traffic. The most dangerous day is Saturday.

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>What to avoid
Men, ages 21 to 24, who drive motorcycles between midnight and 4 a.m. in the South. Fatality risk: 45,000 times higher than normal.</span>

Where to be
A 4-year-old girl in a van or bus, stuck in a Wednesday morning rush hour in New England in February.

Hmmmmm.....35 year old male , on a motorcycle , in the south .....riding at night ......I'm screwed !
sad.gif

I'll be 50 this year and I rarely ride at night...I hope to be around for awhile
cool.gif

(Red05 @ Jan. 19 2007,14:07) I'll be 50 this year and I rarely ride at night...I hope to be around for awhile  
cool.gif
I don't know ......the haters might be looking for ya !
tounge.gif
poke.gif

Red05.jpg

(Warputer @ Jan. 19 2007,11:10)
(Red05 @ Jan. 19 2007,14:07) I'll be 50 this year and I rarely ride at night...I hope to be around for awhile
cool.gif
I don't know ......the haters might be looking for ya !
tounge.gif
poke.gif
That women has some cannons on her dude.
laugh.gif

That's okay. I'll still enjoy it while I can!

--Wag--

I don't ride at night anymore. Probably stop riding in ANY traffic soon....

Hmmm... is VA considered the south? If so, I'm screwed...

23 yrs old, motorcycle, riding after midnight... yeah, insurance probably LOVES me...

Back