Where can I find a 2005 R6 LSR legal chain guard

outlawbusa

1 wheel up aero testing
Donating Member
Registered
Here's a good one for a Busa forum right? :laugh:

I have a friend that races an R6. He is interested in taking the bike to Maxton and we need to order him a chain guard. I priced them about $60 after shipping on Ebay and a couple of sponsor sites.

Sponsors I have talked with say they do not have one specifically for the 2005 model. They do have one for the 2006 model but say it will not fit. Ebay auctions say 2003 and up...

Any sponsors or anyone else know where to pick up a metal ECTA legal chain guard for the 2005 R6?

Does Suzuki not offer one? May cost a bit more though, but I'm sure local parts dept can get it , can't they?

Does Suzuki not offer one? May cost a bit more though, but I'm sure local parts dept can get it , can't they?

This one's for a Yamaha R6. I got mine from Guy at Tiger Racing for the Busa but unable to locate one for the R6.

Most of the time a sponsor can specify if their chain guard is ECTA legal or not. Guy was great help when getting mine a while back for the Busa. (I think we kinda helped him design that one, LoL)

Anyway, next stop will be local. They just can't say straight up if it'll be legal or not, if they can find one at all. Was hoping for a one stop shop and order one online that's proven to be ECTA legal.

As long as it's metal, they'll probably pass it...but hate to get down there and not be to spec.

is there something unique to the swing arm for that year only?

You can always fab a temp one together from home depot...

I'll make anything you send me!

is there something unique to the swing arm for that year only?

I'm not real sure. If it were my bike I'd be happy to get one made through Guy, he's done great in the past~!~ Thanks Guy~!~

Guards I have looked at seem to show an extra mounting tab on some of the years. Ebay shows 2003 and up all fit the same but that makes me very sceptical since they are not listed the same through the sponsors.

After I couldn't find one the other day very easily, I asked him to check the local shops to make sure they can't come up with something. Haven't heard an update yet. There's only one shop close by that would even stand a chance of finding it if it is not a readily available item.

I'm not real sure. If it were my bike I'd be happy to get one made through Guy, he's done great in the past~!~ Thanks Guy~!~

Guards I have looked at seem to show an extra mounting tab on some of the years. Ebay shows 2003 and up all fit the same but that makes me very sceptical since they are not listed the same through the sponsors.

After I couldn't find one the other day very easily, I asked him to check the local shops to make sure they can't come up with something. Haven't heard an update yet. There's only one shop close by that would even stand a chance of finding it if it is not a readily available item.
You may find a chromed one first since very few LSR with that bike. Check with Graves..

the key is a finding a LSR legal one. Other than Guy I don't know any companies the make a LSR complient chain guard for the market.

You may find a chromed one first since very few LSR with that bike. Check with Graves..

Haha, was just sending you a PM

the key is a finding a LSR legal one. Other than Guy I don't know any companies the make a LSR complient chain guard for the market.

I will get with the owner and see what he wants to do. Might be that we can work on getting one made with Tiger Racing.

Thanks for all the information~!~

One other question on this subject....per ECTA rules.

The rule book is pretty clear about having a metal chain guard. That being said I would have to assume that "real" carbon fiber chain guards are not legal since they are not metal.

Any input on this subject~?~ Never hurts to ask

you're correct a CF chain gaurd is no longer legal in the ECTA rules. In my opinion, it should have been tested and then written that a CF gaurd must be a certain minimum thikness so that it's of equal or greater strength than the minimum thickness aluminum guard. I don't write the rules though amd only follow them. :bowdown:

Ok, sorry for the confusion...it would have helped if I had the correct information to begin with before all this investigation.

I spoke with the owner and it is a 2003 R6, not a 2005 R6.

If that makes any difference, please let me know.

Back