Wheelie Problems

You DO need to crank up on your front suspension a bit, wheelies or not. Stock settings on the Busa are squishy soft and riders 200+ lbs need more preload and damping. I'm 275 pounds. To get the proper front sag on my Busa (approx 32mm) I had to turn the fork preload in so it was between 1 and 2 lines showing. Damping for compression and rebound went up too. I added 2 clicks more compression and 3 clicks more rebound. Seems to work well at these settings.

Busa's a fairly easy bike to wheelie, especially if you're a bigger rider. Your higher weight raises the bike's center of gravity and it will come up better. Overall, the Busa is much easier to wheelie than a ZX11 or Triumph's Daytona 1200 which are both longer and heavier than the Busa.

Jim

When your wheelie begins to fall or you decide to put it down, let the bike start comming down and roll into the gas before the front tire touches. That allows the bike to come down a ton easier (and save you new fork seals!).

iz

iz has given you good information. One thing I did for those times when you cant sit it down easy(like hitting the rev limiter in second gear by accident while your on the back wheel)is I turned the compression and rebound in a little and also went one more line in on spring preload. It helps my bikes handling also but I weigh 195lbs. too.

I gave up on my quest to wheelie. Seemed to me I had to push the bike a bit too hard. Maybe I'm just too big. 6'2" 230.

It also seemed that by the time I thought the wheel would come up, the bike was revving high and would be very unforgiving of the slightest mistake.

I'm 255, big ed is 290, were wheelie'n all over town. Also you wont hurt your seals by settin down hard. If you havent already, go to a 16 tooth front sprocket. You'll discover a bike you never knew existed.

I only weigh 120lbs so i am not heavy coming down but will stiff the front a bit. Thanks for the info!
I can do 200!

I am a wheelie freak but having a problem. The busa sets down a bit hard under de-acceleration and my front fender is hitting under the nose section. Leaving a nice little streak of scratches. The suspention is stock set up. Any suggestions?

I am not a wheelie freek---yet. I actually did one by mistake and am now trying to get a little braver and hold it a little longer. I can't wait until I actually can go for more that 10 feet. My hubby has a heart attack every time I try. Ya gotta start somewhere....right?

Omega is right . I put a 16t sprocket on yesterday and it made the bike easier to bring up and control. I like that feeling so much that I am also gonna try increasing to a 42t rear with the 16t on the front. This should make this a beast on the throttle!

Bau316 be carfull I had a 16 in the front and a 42 on the rear but my bike was lowered for the strip.Well later in the week I had the need for speed.put the bike back up to stock hieght but for got what sprocket I had and lets say all the kids down my block think I am sooo cool to ride a wheelieas soon as I left my driveway.I had to go change my underwear.It is more than a beast at stock hieght.

Hey Johnny, I got done putting in a couple hundred miles yesterday. I love the instant response. Thinking about my gear selection. I called and changed my order. I'm gonna put a 17 back up front but put a 44t on the rear with my new chain coming this week. How much you think is too much?

At one point in time I had a 16/43 combo, it was real hard to keep the rear tire from spinning. Wore out the rear in 1000 miles.

I have since dropped back to 17/42.

i don't do just wheeles i do beenes thats burnout wheeles and the front end will come up a 2nd time at around 5500rpms i have a hard time keeping the front end up in 2nd and 3rd,

I have stock gearing on my 2000 busa and the bike wheelies better than my 99 ZX-9r did. Dont get me wrong, no power wheelies in 2nd like the 9 but the balance point and smooth powerband make it a shear delight to ride 1st gear power wheelies and second gear clutch wheelies on. Can also shift all the way to 4th gear. Its all about getting to the balance point.

I used to watch my bud ride wheelies on his 900rr forever a long time ago and I wanted to learn. I had a YZF 1000 thunderace and swore to him that it wouldnt come up in 2nd.
He got on it to check it out and rode a 2nd gear wheelie forever. He came back and smiled and simply said "looks like Drive Error to me". Practice small wheelies over and over and soon youll get the front end up higher and when you reach the balance point you will know it. Oh yeah, cover the rear brake in case you go to high but most of the time engine compression will bring you back down when you let off the gas.

The snow has finally stopped. Picked up my 16 tooth today. The new riding season starts tomorrow!

Wheelie question: Some guys say get to the balance point, then shift to second. Others say shift to 2nd as soon as you can, before you get to the balance point.

Which works better? Which is safer? When is the best time to shift?

Sometimes when I pull a wheelie when I come down the front end goes crazy and starts to shake what the hell is this? What am I doing wrong?

Back