Wheel weight

kairles

Donating Member
Registered
well I pulled into the garage after work I seen my front wheel weight sitting on the floor. I dont know how long its been off, but the ride to and from work today didn't feel any different from any other times. Do you think I should get it balanced ASAP or can it wait a couple days?

I always balance my wheels, but I know guys that just mount tires and ride. They don't do anything except line up the arrows with the valve-stem. No problems from what I have ever seen. In fact, the guys that do this are guys I race with at over 150mph on the track.

you'll be fine for a few days in my opinion.. the only negative that I can see is it can make your tire wear a little funny over time.. track guys rarely use tires for than a couple events anyway, so balance wear is less of an issue, I believe.

You could simply replace the weight in the same place it came from. There is some glue residue left on the rim right? Any shop will have weights. No need for a tire off rebalance I think.

I always balance my wheels, but I know guys that just mount tires and ride. They don't do anything except line up the arrows with the valve-stem. No problems from what I have ever seen. In fact, the guys that do this are guys I race with at over 150mph on the track.
I would be more inclined to skip balance on a race tire before a road tire actually..

Road tire sees longer miles, race tire is going to tell you right now if it is out of balance.

long miles with a slight out of balance is going to cause tire wear issues, accelerate wear on bearings and suspension items and could ultimately lead to a terminal tank slapper....

riding with the weight off? probably not going to hurt a thing.. if you can see where it was, put it back on.. if not? and you can not feel any difference? maybe you can wait til the next "new" tire goes on..

You may be able to tell were the weight was with close inspection.

Back