What to do

BusaBret

Almost......
Donating Member
Registered
I have been approached about selling my bike. While it is not for sale I have always said if someone comes along that wants it....
My problem with this is I do not need nor really want to sell it. I do not care for the Gen2 aesthetically so wouldn't be selling to get new. I have however found a clean,low mileage(about 2k miles) adult ridden completely stock 06 LE. Also have been giving serious thought to going more sport touring in terms of a FJ or Concours or something similar. Was planning on this purchase this year as a stable mate anyway.
Now the biggest issue I have is the potential buyers experience. While he has been riding for several years it has been on bikes such as Rebel 250 and most recently a Ninja 250. He is also the early 20s year old nephew of a guy I work with. The Busa is not the natural next step from a 250 in my opinion.
I need honest opinions about this situation as I do not feel totally comfortable about it. Is it any of my business as to his abilities? Does my responsibility end after the changing over of the title?

Thanks!!

Yes, your responsibility ends when the title changes hands. But beforehand, feel free to give all the counseling about the power the Busa has and how you don't feel its the right bike for him.

If he's still dead set on buying a busa, or any busa, then at least you know yours is well taken care of and won't be a problem bike. If its worth it to you to part with, I wouldn't worry about what he does with it after the fact.

Yes, your responsibility ends when the title changes hands. But beforehand, feel free to give all the counseling about the power the Busa has and how you don't feel its the right bike for him.

If he's still dead set on buying a busa, or any busa, then at least you know yours is well taken care of and won't be a problem bike. If its worth it to you to part with, I wouldn't worry about what he does with it after the fact.

That is the way I am leaning but still have that nagging in the back of my mind that it will end ugly. I do not want that on my conscience.

Go for the LE.
It would be like starting with a new bike - you could do it all over again!
(And White is the fastest color!)

That is the way I am leaning but still have that nagging in the back of my mind that it will end ugly. I do not want that on my conscience.

Its a hard thing to deal with, you feel like you're personally responsible when someone buys something from you.

I sold bikes here in San Diego for 5 years to people of all skill levels.

It was very difficult trying to make a living while educating that 18yr old Marine fresh back from Iraq with cash wanting a hayabusa or similar 1000cc + bike.

I know I lost money out of my pocket by outright refusing to sell liter bikes to new riders.

That was my personal stance, and I explained to them what they were really getting into.

If they would listen to me, they'd do 1 of 3 things, buy a more suitable bike from me, or go somewhere else to buy the bike they couldn't be talked out of, or if they absolutely wouldn't budge, listened to my opinion, and still wanted to buy the big bike I felt like I did my part to explain the potential consequences.

Its really about what you're personally comfortable with.

Over 5 years (I follow up with my customers) I never knew of one to have died on a bike, and several other salespeople DO know of their own customers that were killed on bikes that the salesman let them buy.

I feel like I'm talking you in circles, so bottom line, if you're uncomfortable with it, then no reason to sell it.

Depends on what you are willing to live with, follow your set of values.
If he dies on a bike you sell him and you feel like he is not ready for it, you have to sleep at night and live with it the rest of your life.
If you don't care, sell it to him and forget about it. (sounds like you do care)
It sounds like you have ties to this young man through work.
You could land up the bad guy over the deal.
If it feels bad now, it could feel a lot worse later. You know what to do and no one here has to live with your decision, only you.

Good Luck, tough choice to make.

Dude ........ come on now; you are friends at work with his uncle, and you've already stated you don't think he can handle it.

You don't need the sale and you don't need the nightmare.

Good luck on your decision :thumbsup:

My being able to sleep at night overweighs my pocketbook.

Well the decision has been made. After talking with the guys uncle tonight and asking him more in depth questions about his riding ability and maturity i told him my bike was not for sale. His uncle actually said thank you and i can respect your position and reasoning. Thanks guys for the gentle nudge in the right direction.
Posted via Mobile Device

I was just about to say, if you can't sleep with yourself, don't do it.

Glad to see that you made the right decision.

--Wag--

Although i am late in this matter,i can see that you made the correct decision after all.:thumbsup:Able to sleep peacefully and having a clear concious is the best

Last edited:
Well the decision has been made. After talking with the guys uncle tonight and asking him more in depth questions about his riding ability and maturity i told him my bike was not for sale. His uncle actually said thank you and i can respect your position and reasoning. Thanks guys for the gentle nudge in the right direction.
Posted via Mobile Device

Read your first post, we can't take credit for your character and integrity :beerchug:

Hard choice, if he doesent buy yours will he buy the next one he comes accross? If you think he will get one somehow, someway than why not let it be yours? Like Wharthog said, at least hes getting a good bike

Back