What should the voltage measure while cranking?

FloydV

Donating Member
Registered
If I turn over my bike to start it, how many volts should I get as opposed to the voltage of the battery under no load?

When I checked mine, I think it was around 9-10 volts but should recover quickly.If it doesnt recover, then the battery is bad.

When I checked mine, I think it was around 9-10 volts but should recover quickly.If it doesnt recover, then the battery is bad.

Thanks! This is a new battery from the stealership, and ever since I put it in, it holds a charge and spins the motor over very quickly, but it used to start in 2 to 3 turns and now it takes 5 or 6 turns sometimes. It starts well enough, but the extra number of turns aggravates me as to why.

I have a peak holding multimeter, and I'm going to connect it through the Battery Tender socket and watch what the voltage drops to while it is turning over.

Not sure. If that's a 2005 model with the factory battery it's time brother.

I got around 6 years out of the original battery using a Battery Tender, but it finally gave up the ghost.
This is a new OEM battery from the stealership.

Mine dropped kinda low because my starter was shot.The magnets delammed so it would barely crank but the battery voltage would recover pretty fast.I havent had my battery on a tender yet this whole year but I ride a couple times a week.6 years is real good on a MC battery.

Back